How many have son(s)/daughter(s) at ISU?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
My daughter is finishing up her freshman year at ISU. It's been an emotionally draining year for her on campus being so far from home and making friends has been really really hard for her.

Following orientation she was SO excited because the school did an AMAZING job of putting kids together in groups to meet people while the parents were off on their own. So she assumed that school starting would be very similar.......... nope. The girl whom was supposed to be her roommate had apparently not notified anybody that she wasn't going to ISU after all, so she went the whole year with no roommate. She lives in the new dorm, Geoffroy, and come to find out her floor is part of the W.I.S.E. community (women in science and engineering), so the kids get to their rooms and shut their doors, and there's no functions/parties between floors. She came back to Texas during Spring Break and it was 80-degrees, and toured TCU and a couple other local schools because she's so homesick.

BUT, since spring break she's had a change of heart. She's been inducted into two honor societies, and elected as an office in one group as well as elected as an office in Collegiate Women in Business. She's told me she's dropping her minor to add a second major, and because of her grades she's been accepted into the Professional Program as a freshman and can begin taking classes in her major. And she has signed a lease for next year with a girl she befriended at orientation. All this just in time to come home for the summer.

But she still says the weather sucked until today where she phoned to tell me she's sitting on her Mexican blanket by campanile while she studies. And suddenly I'm jealous.

My daughter went to ISU in large part so she would be forced to not turn college into High School 2.0. Her HS friends went to Iowa, primarily, so there was an adjustment period. First semester was a bit interesting but she couldn't be happier now. I respect her choice to go a different route than her friends as much as anything. There is an adjustment period.

Reactions: TXCyclones

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
My daughter went to ISU in large part so she would be forced to not turn college into High School 2.0. Her HS friends went to Iowa, primarily, so there was an adjustment period. First semester was a bit interesting but she couldn't be happier now. I respect her choice to go a different route than her friends as much as anything. There is an adjustment period.

On my floor you had 75% of the guy who went home every weekend. And then the rest of us who stayed around and became friends.

I've already decided my kids have to go to ISU, and even though we only live 45 minutes away, they aren't allowed to come home until Thanksgiving
vauEUgn.gif

Reactions: CascadeClone

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
My eldest daughter, who is a senior in HS, just made the decision a few weeks back to attend ISU next Fall. She had been accepted at Grinnell College and another private school in Ohio, but ultimately chose ISU over them! As an ISU alumnus, I am especially excited about the outcome of her decision (and it was totally hers, btw). So, I wondered how many of you CF'ers have kids at ISU & what's been their experience so far?

2 daughters, one has graduated, the other is a junior. Both have had great experiences.

Reactions: kentkel

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
On my floor you had 75% of the guy who went home every weekend. And then the rest of us who stayed around and became friends.

I've already decided my kids have to go to ISU, and even though we only live 45 minutes away, they aren't allowed to come home until Thanksgiving
vauEUgn.gif

My dad’s rule was I couldn’t come home for 2 months. Very smart. I lived on a floor with a bunch of out of state students who never went home.

Reactions: NickTheGreat

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
My daughter is finishing up her freshman year at ISU. It's been an emotionally draining year for her on campus being so far from home and making friends has been really really hard for her.

Following orientation she was SO excited because the school did an AMAZING job of putting kids together in groups to meet people while the parents were off on their own. So she assumed that school starting would be very similar.......... nope. The girl whom was supposed to be her roommate had apparently not notified anybody that she wasn't going to ISU after all, so she went the whole year with no roommate. She lives in the new dorm, Geoffroy, and come to find out her floor is part of the W.I.S.E. community (women in science and engineering), so the kids get to their rooms and shut their doors, and there's no functions/parties between floors. She came back to Texas during Spring Break and it was 80-degrees, and toured TCU and a couple other local schools because she's so homesick.

BUT, since spring break she's had a change of heart. She's been inducted into two honor societies, and elected as an office in one group as well as elected as an office in Collegiate Women in Business. She's told me she's dropping her minor to add a second major, and because of her grades she's been accepted into the Professional Program as a freshman and can begin taking classes in her major. And she has signed a lease for next year with a girl she befriended at orientation. All this just in time to come home for the summer.

But she still says the weather sucked until today where she phoned to tell me she's sitting on her Mexican blanket by campanile while she studies. And suddenly I'm jealous.

Good for her for sticking it out.

Reactions: TXCyclones

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
My dad’s rule was I couldn’t come home for 2 months. Very smart. I lived on a floor with a bunch of out of state students who never went home.

I think part of my parents' reasoning was that I didn't have a car, and they didn't like making the 3 hr + drive and back, for a 6 hr day. Especially for Labor Day, which was after the first week of classes!

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I think part of my parents' reasoning was that I didn't have a car, and they didn't like making the 3 hr + drive and back, for a 6 hr day. Especially for Labor Day, which was after the first week of classes!

I was very homesick the first 1 1/2 years. I would go home about every 3 weeks or so.
During and after my Junior year it was more like once a quarter.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
2 for 2 !!
Son is a EE graduated in 2010, gainfully employed.
Daughter is Psych/CJ and graduates next week.

She didn't want to go to ISU - didn't want to be like dad, wasn't sure if she could make the academics, and thought it would be too big. But she agreed to the campus visit. After we went to a few other places, she said ISU was the best and the campus was not as big and scary as she thought (anxiety issues). She just had to picture herself in it.

Inarguably my greatest achievements.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron