Marial Shayok Commits to ISU

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Prohm wants his bigs to shoot from outside if left open. It is pretty obvious Solo has the green light this year to do so and has shot a few time each game this far. He is on record that was an emphasis to add to his game this summer the shot looks pretty good coming out of his hand. I think that is an aspect can be added to his game in the next year. I know the results haven't been there yet but I don't see the coaches telling him to only shoot from 10 ft in.

Beverly and Talley have the green light too. Beverly is 4/23 this year. And Talley is 4/30 lifetime.

I'm not exactly sure having a 'green light' means much. I can't believe 'it looks good coming out of his hand' is actually something to get excited about.

The difference of Solo making a couple more threes a year means relatively nothing compared to what rebounding and playing better D could be.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I'm guessing you didn't watch Jacobson much, if at all, while he was at Nebraska. It's easy to see potential in someone when you watch them and like them. If Solomon didn't play basketball for Iowa State you wouldn't know a thing about him or say he has a lot of potential.

So because I have spent more time watching Young's game, my opinion of his potential is discounted? That's some weird logic.

I watched Jacobson a few times, either because he was playing against Iowa or because he's from Waukee. He is very active and is a fluid athlete for his size. I didn't see him shoot often, and he certainly wasn't getting post touches.

Are you from Waukee? I'm sorry that I see more potential in Young. It's not intended to be a slight toward Jacobson.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
So because I have spent more time watching Young's game, my opinion of his potential is discounted? That's some weird logic.

I watched Jacobson a few times, either because he was playing against Iowa or because he's from Waukee. He is very active and is a fluid athlete for his size. I didn't see him shoot often, and he certainly wasn't getting post touches.

Are you from Waukee? I'm sorry that I see more potential in Young. It's not intended to be a slight toward Jacobson.
When you say X player has more potential than Y player, yes.

CyCal

Apr 22, 2014
It's Nader!

Your spelling is a low blow! Literally.

na·dir
ˈnādər,ˈnādir/
noun
  1. the lowest point in the fortunes of a person or organization.

Haha. Fair point. I have a Pakistani friend actually named Nadir, so I sometimes accidentally type that instead thanks to muscle memory.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Stop bumping this thread and giving me heart attacks. Every time I see this pop up I assume he's either blown his knee or leaving the program.

Me, too. We can start threads to discuss the future of the post position that don't create heart attacks.
Titles like "My view of the future of Cyclone post players" work nicely. People get the point and maintain their cardiac health.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Me, too. We can start threads to discuss the future of the post position that don't create heart attacks.
Titles like "My view of the future of Cyclone post players" work nicely. People get the point and maintain their cardiac health.

For the low, low price of $19.95, you can start one now. PM me for details.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Man, Naz is a great ambassador for ISU and the Clones. He takes that loyal son, forever true thing very seriously. And let's hope he's as good of a talent evaluator in his view of Shayok.

We were lucky to get these guys like Georges and Naz here at the same time. Talking about their cool persona, interviews and clever use of social media. Given these little insights into their personalities they just seem like guys you would like in real life.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I'll just start a thread that says "Marial Shayok" That should set everyone's mind at ease.
dont5.jpg

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
We were lucky to get these guys like Georges and Naz here at the same time. Talking about their cool persona, interviews and clever use of social media. Given these little insights into their personalities they just seem like guys you would like in real life.

Not only that but both Naz and Niang have been great ambassadors for ISU school and athletics since they left. The are present both in media and back in Ames (when available) and I assume will continue to be.
It wouldn't surprise me that in future years after there done playing basketball for one or both to be back in Ames working for the University as a coach or in the Athletic Department.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Not only that but both Naz and Niang have been great ambassadors for ISU school and athletics since they left. The are present both in media and back in Ames (when available) and I assume will continue to be.
It wouldn't surprise me that in future years after there done playing basketball for one or both to be back in Ames working for the University as a coach or in the Athletic Department.

Not just a great ambassador through his words, either. He puts his money where his mouth is. Naz has donated money to some pretty neat causes around the city of Ames. I don't know if I'm at liberty to share exactly which ones, but rest assured, Naz has made some kids pretty happy in this town.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

There is absolute nothing that hits that emotional spot for me as a fan as much as seeing kids that play for us that clearly love Iowa State as much as we do.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Not just a great ambassador through his words, either. He puts his money where his mouth is. Naz has donated money to some pretty neat causes around the city of Ames. I don't know if I'm at liberty to share exactly which ones, but rest assured, Naz has made some kids pretty happy in this town.
And time.

Naz is Iowa State. His name resonates greater than all but the Orr/Hoiberg/Thompson class and there isn’t bigger surrogate for the fan base.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron