Marial Shayok Commits to ISU

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yeah he was terrible last night. But I guess so was everyone else.

Jackson was 4/7 from three and scored 19.

Lard and Wigginton each had 16.

But yeah, outside of those three on offense, that was some ugly defense.

We got hosed by good passing and shooting.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Pretty funny how we have struggled to get capable posts in our program and it now appears that we have three potentially solid posts and we are arguing about benching one of them. If all three are good, it should allow us to play all of them a lot, keep them out of foul trouble and keep them fresh. Big thing is they need to all keep improving.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Where's the evidence that Jacobsen is the better player?

People "within the program" were really high on Talley too. How has that played out?

I'm not trying to bash Jacobsen, but I don't expect him to be a starter. Young has more upside in my opinion. Jacobsen will get plenty of minutes, but some here need to pump the brakes on "talk within the program". What basketball coach doesn't like a 6'9" guy who plays hard? That doesn't mean we're getting Jonathan Motley.

Here are some numbers from their first two seasons, obviously Young's isn't finished.

Solomon Young
15/16: PER: 13.3 RB%: 10.5 Ast% .3 Stl%1.2 Blk% 4.7
16/17: PER 13.6 RB%: 11.9 Ast% 6.0 Stl%1.7 Blk% 2.5
Total:: PER 13.4 RB%s 11.1 Ast% 2.9 Stl%1.4 Blk% 3.7

Michael Jacobson
15/16 PER: 16.3 RB%: 13.8 Ast% 4.9 Stl%1.7 Blk% 5.1
16/17 PER: 14.8 RB%: 14.1 Ast % 8.3 Stl%1.8 Blk% 3.8
Total: PER : 15.5 RB% 14.0 Ast% 6.8 Stl% 1.8 Blk% 4.4

Why do you think Young has a higher upside?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
With Shayok coming from UVa he should be a competent defender, which is what we need more than anything.

A lot of talk in the lineup threads about going small next year, but our offense isn’t that big of problem. Do we have a small that can defend a big well enough to make the advantage on offense work? Maybe Shayok? Of course last night we got torched defensively at every position due to our continued suspect team defense. How much that improves next year will largely determine our success.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
With Shayok coming from UVa he should be a competent defender, which is what we need more than anything.

A lot of talk in the lineup threads about going small next year, but our offense isn’t that big of problem. Do we have a small that can defend a big well enough to make the advantage on offense work? Maybe Shayok? Of course last night we got torched defensively at every position due to our continued suspect team defense. How much that improves next year will largely determine our success.

I disagree. The offense isn't as big of problem as the defense but it isn't that far behind. This is the worst offense ISU has had since Fred's first year.

• Useful
Reactions: WastedTalent

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I disagree. The offense isn't as big of problem as the defense but it isn't that far behind. This is the worst offense ISU has had since Fred's first year.
Fred needed great offenses to offset the poor defense. It’s not only what we are the worse at, it’s what we should be good at. Would Huggins be 1-5 with this group?

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
You forgetting Lawson brothers a d Charlie Moore? I agree those guys you listed haven' proven anything yet. Doubt Preston returns.
No I'm not forgetting those guys. I just didn't want to list them because they are really good lol. KU will clearly be the best team again.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I think the added depth next year will lead to more intensity overall with less heavy minute players (throughout the season, as an average), and I think the heavy minute players in any given game will be based on match ups.
Agreed. The game experience of next years roster will be a huge boost as well.

That said, Prohm has his work cut out for him to find the rotations. Seem to have plenty of capable players available.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I think the added depth next year will lead to more intensity overall with less heavy minute players (throughout the season, as an average), and I think the heavy minute players in any given game will be based on match ups.

We say this often but it usually doesn’t turn out that way. Players 8-10 usually aren’t as good as we expect them to be. Prohm usually settles in on a 7-8 man rotation and a squad like ISU is rarely going to have more guys than that who can play winning basketball in the B12.

Hopefully we simply have upgraded talent at at least 2-3 spots in our top 7/8.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Why does this thread keep getting bumped? Is this like a back-up QB thread? Guy isn't playing yet but everyone can't stop talking about him when the current player isn't doing very good.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Why does this thread keep getting bumped? Is this like a back-up QB thread? Guy isn't playing yet but everyone can't stop talking about him when the current player isn't doing very good.

This season has not gone so well. Might as well lark about next year, right?

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA
I'm with you on this. If he doesn't develop his skill set, which he very well could, he could see the bench a lot next year. To be brutally honest, he's the type of player he is isn't nearly as valuable as it used to be. The argument for him is defense and rebounding, but he's not a rim protector and out of zone rebounder like Lard, and he's not a big threat from three.

Scoring on post-ups is one of the least efficient ways to score in basketball. Accordingly, offenses have gone away from that "traditional" style of offense, making the ability to defend the dribble and switch out on the perimeter.

The game has changed, guys. Big men are eurostepping now. Time to leave the 90s :)
Tell that to St. Mary's, who just beat #13 Gonzaga on the road by riding their traditional center who scored 26 points on 12/15 shooting, almost all being post ups. Just because you see it less often doesn't mean it's not effective. If you get someone with that skill set, you go with it.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Tell that to St. Mary's, who just beat #13 Gonzaga on the road by riding their traditional center who scored 26 points on 12/15 shooting, almost all being post ups. Just because you see it less often doesn't mean it's not effective. If you get someone with that skill set, you go with it.

Yeah, I agree with you here. There are a few out there like Landale, and Jahlil Okafor back in the day. Lard with his back to the basket is maybe our best option in the half court. It's the same way with mid-range. It's generally not the best way to score, but there are specific guys like DeRozan and potentially Wigginton who are pretty darn good at it. It's just that on the whole, they aren't as effective as other options.

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Here are some numbers from their first two seasons, obviously Young's isn't finished.

Solomon Young
15/16: PER: 13.3 RB%: 10.5 Ast% .3 Stl%1.2 Blk% 4.7
16/17: PER 13.6 RB%: 11.9 Ast% 6.0 Stl%1.7 Blk% 2.5
Total:: PER 13.4 RB%s 11.1 Ast% 2.9 Stl%1.4 Blk% 3.7

Michael Jacobson
15/16 PER: 16.3 RB%: 13.8 Ast% 4.9 Stl%1.7 Blk% 5.1
16/17 PER: 14.8 RB%: 14.1 Ast % 8.3 Stl%1.8 Blk% 3.8
Total: PER : 15.5 RB% 14.0 Ast% 6.8 Stl% 1.8 Blk% 4.4

Why do you think Young has a higher upside?

I don' think Jacobson holds Bamba to 10 points and Azubuike to 9 points