Just asked Campbell about the noise....

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
nobody wants a coach that can only squat 135# anyway.

Screen_Shot_2015-12-23_at_7.15.36_PM.0.png

those look like manhole covers to me...that's at least 500#!!!!! :D

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
That seriously is the best response I've ever seen to such a question. If a complete-homer-Cyclone-fan was to write the dream scenario response, this is what it would look like (and he probably said it better than anyone could).

Well, if you are talking "dream scenario" he could have said "Iowa State will be my last coaching position, I will retire in this job".

But other than that... :D

Seriously though, Campbell chose to come to Ames over potentially higher paying options because he wanted to build a culture, and we were selling out the stadium for a losing team - and the Athletic Department was committed to winning.

I think he will leave - he's clearly the best coaching candidate not at a blue blood right now. But it won't just be for money, it'll be because he can get that same environment and culture somewhere more established. I could see OSU or ND.

I also expect, in the unfortunate event that Campbell leaves, that Heacock would be named the new head coach in about 3 ms

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Well, if you are talking "dream scenario" he could have said "Iowa State will be my last coaching position, I will retire in this job".

But other than that... :D

Seriously though, Campbell chose to come to Ames over potentially higher paying options because he wanted to build a culture, and we were selling out the stadium for a losing team - and the Athletic Department was committed to winning.

I think he will leave - he's clearly the best coaching candidate not at a blue blood right now. But it won't just be for money, it'll be because he can get that same environment and culture somewhere more established. I could see OSU or ND.

I also expect, in the unfortunate event that Campbell leaves, that Heacock would be named the new head coach in about 3 ms

....and I'm going to share half my money with Cyclonepride. You forgot that.

Reactions: bawbie

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Interesting.

http://footballscoop.com/news/anyone-coming-matt-campbell-better-prepared-break-bank/

We’ve reviewed Campbell’s contract and found this section, outlining what Campbell would owe Iowa State should he leave for another head coaching job. In short: he would owe the school his entire remaining contract.

Campbell is under contract through the 2021 season with a salary of $2.1 million in 2017 that raises $100,000 a year, meaning Campbell is in line to earn $2.2 million in 2018, $2.3 million in 2019, $2.4 million in 2020 and $2.5 million in 2021.

Add it all up and you get a $9.4 million buyout should Campbell leave after this season.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Really hoping for Game Day to visit for the Okie St game, mostly because it means we keep winning but partially because the boo birds would be out every time Herbie opens his mouth. :):D

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

HititHard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 11, 2009
By all means join and donate to the Gridiron club it funds things that are not in the AD's budget for the football program. The example coming to mind is the 75 iPads the Gridiron club bought for the team.

Donating to the Cyclone Club will help the AD have the budget to pay this staff. I only know the following because of the sign that compliance has above the urinal at JTS, but a booster can direct their donation to a specific sport.

If you listen to the weekly media conference today Coach talked at least twice about the advantages that come from the longevity Coach Gary Patterson has at TCU. TCU has only been a Big 12 school for 6 years. Gary Patterson was a hell of a coach and had to have opportunities to leave for bigger schools when TCU was a WAC, Mountain West, and Conference USA school but for some reason he stayed at TCU. We need to do our part so that 20 years from now they are talking about the advantages Coach Matt Campbell has because of his longevity at ISU.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
7e3.jpg

Honestly, I've been saying all along that I think Ohio St is his dream job, and he won't leave ISU for anything much less than that. What a lot of the national reporters like Herbie don't get is all of the programs he's pimping Campbell out to aren't much better than a lateral move to ISU, other than they may have a marginally better history in football than ISU does. However, there are so many negatives to those schools - ISU has facilities that are just as good, if not better, than those programs, most of those programs don't have a fanbase that gives near unconditional support to both the coach and program as a whole like ISU, most of those programs have unrealistic expectations year in and year out, and, the real kicker, at other programs they would give Campbell just enough rope to hang himself and not nearly enough time to meet those unrealistic expectations. I mean, yes, ISU recently fired Rhoads - but that was after 5 years of decline with no hope that he was going to do what it takes to make it better (and Rhoads even said things that made it easy for us to judge that he was clueless, especially when it came to recruiting).

Ever since JP has been here he's made football a priority. The only problem is he hasn't seen a positive ROI on his investment in the program. When Campbell makes statements like this, sure, it's always possible he's full of crap, but it also makes you want to believe in him, even if we've been burned so many times in the past.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
KH's comment was definitely disrespectful to the players in the program, I mean it's mid-season!

I think Murph had a really good take last night when he said, "Either you know something and a backroom handshake deal is done, or you're peeing in Cyclone cheerios for no good reason! You're Kirk Herbstreit, not Skip Bayless!"

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Well, we now know what "Matty" thinks of Herbie and his 'look down you nose at the 11am start time teams like Iowa State.'
CMC's disrespect theme response also tells us that our coach gets Iowa State.

Thanks for posting CW. Pure gold.
Cardinal and gold that is.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
Dont give RP the click bait. All he said was same thing as Kirk, we need to enjoy coach while we have him. Im sure he would spin it as "well I didnt say he is leaving, enjoy him for the next 50 years that you have him" as a cop out but the tone and context was the same as Kirk. Just negativity and either he knows something or he just want to push the negative into the program right now.