Random Thoughts XI (Eleven Pipers Piping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
2017 has not been good for me physically. Major back issues around Easter time, currently battling a bad knee with sprain in ankle of my other foot, and to top it off a nasty stye on my right eye.

Well that all sucks Rulzzz. Hope you are doing better soon I think the tea bag compress is how husband finally rid himself of his stye on the eye.

May not help a young person like you, but my joints have all felt much better with routine of lots of stretching, yoga, and light weight work. I walk, but never run on a hard surface due to previous sports injuries, so swim, exercise bike, or Nordic track for cardio. Don't do a lot of weight work on legs, but I think lunges are pretty helpful and may help the back too. Between back, knee, and ankle, stretching and light yoga may be a place to start to try and strengthen these areas, although there are probably some physiotherapy experts out there that might be able to give you better advice for preventative measures you can take with your injuries in mind.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Well that all sucks Rulzzz. Hope you are doing better soon I think the tea bag compress is how husband finally rid himself of his stye on the eye.

May not help a young person like you, but my joints have all felt much better with routine of lots of stretching, yoga, and light weight work. I walk, but never run on a hard surface due to previous sports injuries, so swim, exercise bike, or Nordic track for cardio. Don't do a lot of weight work on legs, but I think lunges are pretty helpful and may help the back too. Between back, knee, and ankle, stretching and light yoga may be a place to start to try and strengthen these areas, although there are probably some physiotherapy experts out there that might be able to give you better advice for preventative measures you can take with your injuries in mind.

I've gotta admit that after years of sports abuse in high school and college, I was in a perpetual state of back pain. In my late 20's, I went to some yoga classes with my wife and quite literally felt as good as I'd felt in over a decade. I later stopped playing volleyball which was brutal on my lower back, rotator cuff, knees and ankles but I have to give yoga a ton of credit for reminding me what it was like to live without constant pain.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
CyBirdy, I've thought about the apple Orchard, but that sounds like a horrible temp. Especially with the humidity too.

Which one are you going to?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

I've gotta admit that after years of sports abuse in high school and college, I was in a perpetual state of back pain. In my late 20's, I went to some yoga classes with my wife and quite literally felt as good as I'd felt in over a decade. I later stopped playing volleyball which was brutal on my lower back, rotator cuff, knees and ankles but I have to give yoga a ton of credit for reminding me what it was like to live without constant pain.

Stretching properly has been a big part of the PT I've been doing for the last couple of months for my back. I was to the point where I couldn't walk or stand without pain, and that pretty much sucks.

@CycloneRulzzz : I second (third?) the recommendations for yoga...it has helped me. I have a long ways to go, but I was able to walk around all week in NOLA with only a few "pain pauses".

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
CyBirdy, I've thought about the apple Orchard, but that sounds like a horrible temp. Especially with the humidity too.

In preschool we go over to Deal's by Jefferson. I think it is a local family/has a connection to Gilbert. Not looking forward to an hour bus ride each way with a bunch of sweaty kids. ;)

In kindergarten they went to Center Grove.

Reactions: cyrevkah

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

Yoga was always pretty good post pregnancy. My knees got pretty messed up in basketball and tennis. I do still play tennis, and it does wear on my knees still, but will only play on a better surface than some of our courts. Play once a week with a friend, and then I'll go hit with one of kids if there isn't a brother or friend around. I can barely get a racket on a first serve of theirs at this point though. But usually they just want someone to volley with.

My niece usually takes her daughter to Center Grove, cause grilled cheese, but I think they have gone to ones in Nevada and Story City too.

Reactions: cyrevkah

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Rulzzz, I Disliked because it sounds like you're having a tough time. I can relate to that.....it really hits home that you're getting older when you wake up in the morning and something hurts and you think to yourself, "Why in the hell does THAT hurt? I didn't even do anything!"

I totally get why you rated it that. Just about to turn 37, and it's discouraging to have all these issues already. My weight is a large part of it, but if your in no condition to walk / run getting on a treadmill right now is not really a possibility. Might look into the yoga thing, I assume there are options for this in the Ames area?

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Well, that was interesting. I finished early with my customer today, so I came home to do some remote work for another customer. When I got home, there was a card in the door with "Please call me" written on the back. The card belonged to a detective from the local P.D.

A month or so ago, my daughter told me about a girl at school that had her nude photos posted to her Snapchat by someone else. Well now apparently the police are involved and want to talk to DD because they got her name off of the phone of some kid they've already talked to.

I guess John Hughes had the suburbs pegged after all. Things really are that crazy here. Anyone in here ever deal with something remotely like this?

• Dislike
Reactions: jcyclonee

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Well, that was interesting. I finished early with my customer today, so I came home to do some remote work for another customer. When I got home, there was a card in the door with "Please call me" written on the back. The card belonged to a detective from the local P.D.

A month or so ago, my daughter told me about a girl at school that had her nude photos posted to her Snapchat by someone else. Well now apparently the police are involved and want to talk to DD because they got her name off of the phone of some kid they've already talked to.

I guess John Hughes had the suburbs pegged after all. Things really are that crazy here. Anyone in here ever deal with something remotely like this?
My kids were all adults before the advent of inexpensive photo-capable cell phones...thank goodness!

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I totally get why you rated it that. Just about to turn 37, and it's discouraging to have all these issues already. My weight is a large part of it, but if your in no condition to walk / run getting on a treadmill right now is not really a possibility. Might look into the yoga thing, I assume there are options for this in the Ames area?

I'm guessing @ImJustKCClone can maybe help you with something in that area. I went to a class a long time ago through our Parks & Rec department, and now use some Jane Fonda yoga for old ladies videos.

No experience with our kids, but they know some kids from Knoxville from sports and I think they were looking into prosecuting some kids there. Kids don't realize sending out naked stuff of themselves can still be illegal.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

It'll probably be pretty intimidating for your daughter to be questioned, so I'd make sure you let her know to just be honest and give short and concise answers without elaboration or opinion.

I wish kids would be smart enough to not take nude pictures of themselves. Some friends of ours caught their 14 year old daughter sending nude pictures to her boyfriend. With the short attention spans, I really don't think kids understand that once something gets recorded digitally the chances of bad things happening greatly outweigh their original "good idea".

Having the technology to do something like that coupled with the lack of understanding the gravity of one's error is a dangerous combination.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Just to be perfectly clear, ain't no one wants to see Rulzzz in yogi pants. Just sayin'. :rolleyes:

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I just ate a piece of moldy bread, need to look next time.

I probably should google if I will now die.
You'll be okay -- I eat moldy **** all the time, and NO not on purpose (although I have trimmed it off of cheese to get to the good stuff). Figure I'm just getting ready for the zombie apocalypse -- toughen that gut up!

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Back in my day we didn't have no Snapchat or sexting. We had to sneak pictures of girls flashing everyone at parties to get our fix.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Just to be perfectly clear, ain't no one wants to see Rulzzz in yogi pants. Just sayin'. :rolleyes:

Most people wearing yoga pants aren't doing yoga, but I'm fine seeing Rulzzz in anything if it helps him with his pain. And I usually do yoga in my Cyclone gym shorts unless it's cold, sometimes sweats, occasionally my one pair of yoga pants, but I don't leave the house in those.

• Agree
Reactions: harimad
Status
Not open for further replies.