Robert Lee has been removed....

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
20992961_10104618645389580_8950746003932251535_n.jpg

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
You could sue for whatever the **** you want, but I highly doubt there is actionable discrimination here.

He was recently promoted by ESPN than taken off a premier game (UVA) and assigned to Morningwood vs. Sheetstain U because of his name, color of his skin and ethnicity.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Fair enough, still a total PC over-reaction by ESPN IMO. It's not the announcer's fault his parent's named him that and where are we today in society where we are now going to find issue with coincidental things such as this an issue or potentially controversial? He's obviously not General Lee or any relation to him so who gives a crap that he has the same name? ESPN caved into social pressure over common sense on this one.

Except that Lee wanted to do it.

The "PC is ruining America" crowd is bloodthirsty and scours the internet for confirmation bias. That's all this is. It wasn't about PC. The guy didn't want to be a meme. Seems reasonable to me.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Since when has ESPN cared about it's employees? Dude is also Asian, no one in this freaking world should be getting him confused with a confederate general.

This song (from Romper Room maybe?) keeps popping into my head as I visualize some major civil war battle led by the asian general lee...

One of these things is not like the other,
One of these things just doesn't belong...

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
He was recently promoted by ESPN than taken off a premier game (UVA) and assigned to Morningwood vs. Sheetstain U because of his name, color of his skin and ethnicity.
Well now you're just making things up, Virginia is almost certainly the worst team in the ACC, so not a premier game in the slightest. He's been switched to Pitt v. Youngstown. And unless you can prove otherwise I don't see how this has anything to do with his skin color or ethnicity.

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
I think it's just them going out of their way to seem apolitical, but in doing so it's actually worse than if they just stayed the course. Some day I'd think companies would learn it's better to just go about business rather than actively try to avoid controversy that may not even exist.
ESPN is trying to be apolitical? LOLOLOLOLOL

Edit - Just to be clear, I'm not convinced ESPN was trying to be political in this case. The explanation that Lee just didn't want the potential hassle strikes me as likely. But ESPN overall has jumped into politics with both feet over the past few years.

Last edited:

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
It's stupid crap like this why ESPN is losing money and laying of people because they get too PC over dumb things like this while continuing to employ annoying idiots like Stephen A Smith. If they wanted to move him off the VA games then fine but why go public about it? Why not quietly make the move behind the scenes because I doubt most people even knew of this coincidence. Instead this made headlines and ESPN looks even worse than they would have if they had just let him call the games.

MSESPN - shut up and play the stupid game. Quit doing 30 minute specials on several players kneeling during the anthem. Sports is one of our last sanctuaries from this garbage.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
MSESPN - shut up and play the stupid game. Quit doing 30 minute specials on several players kneeling during the anthem. Sports is one of our last sanctuaries from this garbage.
Sports free from politics? Have to go back in time quite a ways to find that.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Fair enough, still a total PC over-reaction by ESPN IMO. It's not the announcer's fault his parent's named him that and where are we today in society where we are now going to find issue with coincidental things such as this an issue or potentially controversial? He's obviously not General Lee or any relation to him so who gives a crap that he has the same name? ESPN caved into social pressure over common sense on this one.

This is all due to the fallout from having **** (S)chap as a "journalist".

Respectfully,

Hugh Weiner

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
This is all due to the fallout from having **** (S)chap as a "journalist".

Respectfully,

Hugh Weiner

And THIS is a great example. Plenty of guys have the first name **** (d*i*c*k) but even this website thought it best for everyone if nobody ever had to read that word again.

Yours truly,

E. Normous Johnson

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Well now you're just making things up, Virginia is almost certainly the worst team in the ACC, so not a premier game in the slightest. He's been switched to Pitt v. Youngstown. And unless you can prove otherwise I don't see how this has anything to do with his skin color or ethnicity.

Yeah - overstated the game part.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
How is he being discriminated? Its solely a (stupid) PR move. Hes not losing pay or losing a chance to advance his career (in fact, this will probably make his career take off), he is simply being reassigned to another game.

Have you been paying attention the level of stupidity that is going around. At this point nothing would surprise me.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
IF this is the real response, I amend my orig comments about this being stupid. I think ESPN over-reacted and over-thought but sounds like they were just looking out for the announcer. More of a comment about how we can't seem to act even a little civilized, I guess. We have to have something to get mad at.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
IF this is the real response, I amend my orig comments about this being stupid. I think ESPN over-reacted and over-thought but sounds like they were just looking out for the announcer. More of a comment about how we can't seem to act even a little civilized, I guess. We have to have something to get mad at.

I think ESPN never intended this to be publicly known. I really don't think they were trying to make a statement.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Last edited:

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
At the end of the day they should have known this would be the reaction. If they leave him on that game there's a possibility immature people try to make jokes about it. That would have been it and those people would have been ridiculed or ignored. Now there is legitimate widespread outrage over it.

The smart business decision would have been to act like there wasn't any connection like was the case. Instead the story is much bigger news.

• Winner
Reactions: CYdTracked

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron