SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Wut_52df0e_5906682.gif

Now that's just dumb.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
That's gotta be made up, right? I saw on FB and assumed it was untrue.

Otherwise, we have indeed arrived at Idiocracy as a society.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
This is so over the top PC that ESPN actually completely missed the mark on a moment. They could have advanced diversity instead of try to suppress accidental racism. Having a minority (its my understanding he's asian) call the game would show confidence in the talent/character/person with no acknowledgement or worry about the name.

At what point is society going to wake up and realize that destroying or covering up potential racist symbols/ideology is not the same as destroying racism.

I suppose we better call out the Baltimore Ravens organization as pedophiles, perverts, sex offenders, and horribly disgusting human beings because their pxp man is named Gerry Sandusky.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I agree with Keith Murphy. Had they kept the guy on the broadcast, no one probably would of even noticed, and if they did, they would of been ridiculed for making any news out of it. By doing this, ESPN made a story about it, a story that would not of been there had they just let it be.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I agree with Keith Murphy. Had they kept the guy on the broadcast, no one probably would of even noticed, and if they did, they would of been ridiculed for making any news out of it. By doing this, ESPN made a story about it, a story that would not of been there had they just let it be.
Someone definitely would have noticed, but it just would have been a meme on Reddit or Twitter and not a big deal.

• Agree
Reactions: mj4cy

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I was waiting for this to pop up. I had thought the complaints about stuff like this were overstated and the problems were more with sensationalism but this is so ridiculous. Keith Murphy said it best that this will get more attention now than it would have.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
I'm glad to see ESPN is taking the proper steps to remove Robert Lee from announcing UVA games. You can't make this **** up...

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/football/espn-switches-announcer-named-robert-lee-off-of-u-va/article_eacaf73c-87a0-11e7-ba0a-0780f035df3d.html?utm_source=RTD Email
They need to find an announcer whose name includes components from the following list:

Abraham, Lincoln, Ulysses, Grant, William, Tecumseh, Sherman, Harriet, Tubman, Mary, Meachum, Frederick, Douglass, Moncure, or Conway.

Maybe Bobby Lee could legally change his name to Billy Sherman in a touching gesture. But if he does that, he should probably call Georgia games.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
You could easily sue for discrimination if you wanted to. The stupid going around knows no bounds.

How is he being discriminated? Its solely a (stupid) PR move. Hes not losing pay or losing a chance to advance his career (in fact, this will probably make his career take off), he is simply being reassigned to another game.

Help Support Us

Become a patron