NBA: ***Official NBA Draft and Offseason Thread***

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
It's not exactly the same situation. When Kyrie signed his extension the Cavs weren't exactly ascending. They had been lost in the woods since Lebron left, and they didn't have any other established players or up and comers coming due for a big contract. They didn't even know for sure they had Lebron coming back at that point. So they could afford to take the risk and sign Kyrie long term. Plus Gilbert had already been burned once by Lebron signing a three year deal instead of the long term max, and he didn't want that to happen again.

Different spot for the Wolves as a young and ascending team. You know KAT is going to get the max contract extension. And in two years, Jimmy Butler will be 29 and still in his prime, so he'll likely get a max deal. So you'll have three guys tying up about 80% of your cap space. Which is great assuming that Wiggins makes the leap and becomes an elite two way player. But he's not there yet, and there's no guarantee he'll get there. Virtually every stat and advanced metric out there backs that up as long as you're not strictly looking at PPG. And if he doesn't make the leap then you have an Oladipo-like albatross of a contract that restricts the team from building a contender around KAT and Butler.

So why jump now? Let Wiggins play another year on his current deal, and see if he can clean up the weaknesses in his game. He's a restricted free agent, so if he does improve then all they have to do is match whatever offers come in or sign him to the max then. I guess I'm not as concerned about showing faith or loyalty here. I'd be more concerned with the long term flexibility. And by signing Wiggins to the max now, they're giving that up by paying for a Big 3 that might only end up a Big 2.

I just want to see more from Wiggins than using his superior athleticism to get buckets. I want to see better rebounding, better court awareness, better defense, better shot selection, all that stuff. Yeah, it's a high standard but if they're giving out a max deal then that's the least of what they should expect from him.

I think Thibs must see enough there to lock him up. The one thing I will say is that at some point you have to trust your evaluations. Thibs is supremely confident in what he does. He saw the potential in someone like Butler and someone like Draymond Green who he wanted to draft. He has said himself, that Wiggins doesn't have a ceiling and that he will be as good as he wants to be. He says that Wiggins is extremely competitive, wants to be the best, and works at it. That is often time the difference in someone being an ok player and a really good player; work ethic. That is what made guys like Butler into the player he is. These guys are around him everyday. And if they see enough to sign him, then sign him.

• Winner
Reactions: srjclone

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think Thibs must see enough there to lock him up. The one thing I will say is that at some point you have to trust your evaluations. Thibs is supremely confident in what he does. He saw the potential in someone like Butler and someone like Draymond Green who he wanted to draft. He has said himself, that Wiggins doesn't have a ceiling and that he will be as good as he wants to be. He says that Wiggins is extremely competitive, wants to be the best, and works at it. That is often time the difference in someone being an ok player and a really good player; work ethic. That is what made guys like Butler into the player he is. These guys are around him everyday. And if they see enough to sign him, then sign him.

Fair enough. I just want to be clear that I'm not saying Wiggins will never be an elite two way wing. I'm just saying he isn't there yet, and Thibs is rolling the dice by giving him a max deal a) before he has to, and b) before Wiggins has earned it.

But if he's sure that Wiggins will break through then more power to him. I hope it all works out great for the Wolves. That franchise has sucked for way too long. The fanbase deserves at least a few good years of contention after the David Khan (Kahn?) years.

Reactions: rholtgraves

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
It's not exactly the same situation. When Kyrie signed his extension the Cavs weren't exactly ascending. They had been lost in the woods since Lebron left, and they didn't have any other established players or up and comers coming due for a big contract. They didn't even know for sure they had Lebron coming back at that point. So they could afford to take the risk and sign Kyrie long term. Plus Gilbert had already been burned once by Lebron signing a three year deal instead of the long term max, and he didn't want that to happen again.

Different spot for the Wolves as a young and ascending team. You know KAT is going to get the max contract extension. And in two years, Jimmy Butler will be 29 and still in his prime, so he'll likely get a max deal. So you'll have three guys tying up about 80% of your cap space. Which is great assuming that Wiggins makes the leap and becomes an elite two way player. But he's not there yet, and there's no guarantee he'll get there. Virtually every stat and advanced metric out there backs that up as long as you're not strictly looking at PPG. And if he doesn't make the leap then you have an Oladipo-like albatross of a contract that restricts the team from building a contender around KAT and Butler.

So why jump now? Let Wiggins play another year on his current deal, and see if he can clean up the weaknesses in his game. He's a restricted free agent, so if he does improve then all they have to do is match whatever offers come in or sign him to the max then. I guess I'm not as concerned about showing faith or loyalty here. I'd be more concerned with the long term flexibility. And by signing Wiggins to the max now, they're giving that up by paying for a Big 3 that might only end up a Big 2.

I just want to see more from Wiggins than using his superior athleticism to get buckets. I want to see better rebounding, better court awareness, better defense, better shot selection, all that stuff. Yeah, it's a high standard but if they're giving out a max deal then that's the least of what they should expect from him.
I guess I just don't think of Wiggins as "bad" as his stats because of how impactful he was while watching all of the T-Wolves games I did last year. I constantly found myself being impressed by how Wiggins was developing and the things he was doing on the court that I hadn't seen him doing before.

If you don't put the money in on Wigs its more likely than not they only have a Big2 in 3 years. I don't think Jimmy will take a max deal in 2 years if things work out like he wants them to here. If he is playing at the level where we feel we should give him the max, that is great, but the rhetoric around these parts is that Wiggins and KAT are the main building blocks. I don't see how all of the sudden Wiggins isn't worth it. But, clearly, I am alone in this assumption.

So I'll stop arguing why I think Wiggins is worth it and just let the people getting paid to make those decisions have the final say.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
You all also have to remember that the contract really isn't that huge with the contracts people are now signing in the NBA. Avery Bradley makes 20 mill a year. Batum makes about 25 I think. Gary Harris is set to get 20 mil a year.

• Agree

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Fair enough. I just want to be clear that I'm not saying Wiggins will never be an elite two way wing. I'm just saying he isn't there yet, and Thibs is rolling the dice by giving him a max deal a) before he has to, and b) before Wiggins has earned it.

But if he's sure that Wiggins will break through then more power to him. I hope it all works out great for the Wolves. That franchise has sucked for way too long. The fanbase deserves at least a few good years of contention after the David Khan (Kahn?) years.

Talk about some bad draft picks during those years. Johnny Flynn, Wesley Johnson, Derrick Williams were all top 6 picks I think.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
  • Agree

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Sounds like Lebron wants Josh Jackson if they trade to Phoenix but Phoenix doesn't want to give him up.

I think the Knicks and Heat are the two most likely to get a trade done. I guess the Clippers have some pieces they could shop as well.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Talk about some bad draft picks during those years. Johnny Flynn, Wesley Johnson, Derrick Williams were all top 6 picks I think.

And they passed on Steph Curry twice in the same draft for Rubio and Flynn! I'll admit that nobody knew what Steph would become, but man...in hindsight, that is absolutely egregious.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Sounds like Lebron wants Josh Jackson if they trade to Phoenix but Phoenix doesn't want to give him up.

I think the Knicks and Heat are the two most likely to get a trade done. I guess the Clippers have some pieces they could shop as well.

How many teams do you think it will take to get something done? Two straight up, or is this one of those three or four team megadeals? There's only so many teams left around the league that can act as a salary dumping ground. I think Portland would love to get involved as a destination for Melo, but only if they can shed one of their bad contracts in the process. Evan Turner for three years and 52 million? They'd be thrilled to get that turd flushed.

Last edited:
  • Agree

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
How many teams do you think it will take to get something done? Two straight up, or is this one of those three or four team megadeals? There's only so many teams left around the league that can act as a salary dumping ground. I think Portland would love to get involved as a destination for Melo, but only if they can shed one of their bad contracts in the process. Evan Turner for three years and 52 million? They'd be thrilled to get that turd flushed.

Yeah, that is a good point. Could take multiple teams.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
You all also have to remember that the contract really isn't that huge with the contracts people are now signing in the NBA. Avery Bradley makes 20 mill a year. Batum makes about 25 I think. Gary Harris is set to get 20 mil a year.

Bradley makes $8M/year, he's going to get a lot more next year but he's also better than Wiggins at this point, you can make a case that Harris is better than Wiggins too. There's a whole lot of contract aberrations with guys who signed last year during the cap spike by. The Hornets would have a hell of a time moving that Batum contract now and would need to attach a very good asset to it. Wiggins deal starts at 25% of next year's cap, which is $25M and would end up at $33M in the 5th year. If the cap levels off the next few years, which is what most people expect to happen, that's a big chunk of it, and with KAT getting a max following that and then Butler's deal being up in two years, that's your core for the foreseeable future. And if Butler leaves, the Wolves wouldn't have the cap room to bring in another player on that level.

But if Wiggins turns into the player you guys expect him too, it won't be an issue and he'll be worth the contract.

And really for the next few years, the best case scenario for any team in the West besides Golden St is losing in the WCF, so there probably isn't much difference in the ceiling with Wiggins vs the ceiling with Kyrie.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Bradley makes $8M/year, he's going to get a lot more next year but he's also better than Wiggins at this point, you can make a case that Harris is better than Wiggins too. There's a whole lot of contract aberrations with guys who signed last year during the cap spike by. The Hornets would have a hell of a time moving that Batum contract now and would need to attach a very good asset to it. Wiggins deal starts at 25% of next year's cap, which is $25M and would end up at $33M in the 5th year. If the cap levels off the next few years, which is what most people expect to happen, that's a big chunk of it, and with KAT getting a max following that and then Butler's deal being up in two years, that's your core for the foreseeable future. And if Butler leaves, the Wolves wouldn't have the cap room to bring in another player on that level.

But if Wiggins turns into the player you guys expect him too, it won't be an issue and he'll be worth the contract.

And really for the next few years, the best case scenario for any team in the West besides Golden St is losing in the WCF, so there probably isn't much difference in the ceiling with Wiggins vs the ceiling with Kyrie.

Yeah I dont know anyone that would say they would take Bradley or Harris over Wiggins. That is certainly an interesting take.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Yeah I dont know anyone that would say they would take Bradley or Harris over Wiggins. That is certainly an interesting take.

One of those guys is a premier perimeter defender with a 1st team All-Defense selection on his resume and hit just under 40% on a high volume of 3's. One of those guys also averages over 4 rebounds a game.

No argument here if you say Wiggins has more potential, but Bradley is a better player at this point.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis

Now I know you have it out for Wiggins. GARY HARRIS IS BETTER THAN HIM!?! lololol

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Now I know you have it out for Wiggins. GARY HARRIS IS BETTER THAN HIM!?! lololol

I don't think you get how bad Wiggins is on defense and just how little else he does besides score in a not overly efficient way. If Wiggins was as good as you think, the Wolves wouldn't have only won 31 games last year.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I don't think you get how bad Wiggins is on defense and just how little else he does besides score in a not overly efficient way.
You know how terrible he is from the handful of games you've watched him play in. But Gary Harris averaged 10.5 ppg, 2.5 reb, 1.8 ast, and had a DRating of 114 last year. compared to Wiggins' 115. I understand that you will not get past the fact that Wiggins isn't a good defender, but to say Gary Harris is better than him is reaaalllly showing your hand.

• Agree

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron