NBA: ***Official NBA Draft and Offseason Thread***

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
One week out from the draft, and already some crazy rumors and smokescreens out there - supposedly the Celtics are absolutely going to trade the #1 overall pick, the Lakers don't want Lonzo Ball, and one team in the top three has already promised Josh Jackson that they're going to take him.

Oh, and the Cavs are going to trade Kevin Love but it won't matter becasue Lebron is leaving Cleveland for the Lakers or Clips, Chris Paul is going to the Spurs, and Blake Griffin is heading to Boston along with Gordon Hayward. That about covers it, I think.

The NBA offseason would be so much more entertaining if even a quarter of the rumors ended up being true.

Reactions: LLCoolCY

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I'm just not sure what trade is out there for Boston with that #1 pick that makes more sense than just keeping it and taking Fultz. Where's the team with a young-ish star that is also committing to re-build?

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I think the Gordon Heyward to Boston, Josh Jackson getting promised a pick in the Top 3, and Celtic's trading their #1 are the most realistic. I would LOVE to see the Lakers not take Lonzo, just to see how LaVar reacts, but I feel like that is more of a smokescreen than any of the other ones.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
What can the Cavs realistically do? I think they could stick with the same core and a few different pieces. They need someone who can play some defense on KD so it's not just on Lebron. Anytime Richard Jefferson was on him it seemed like an automatic bucket.

I'm not completely sold that the PG for Love trade would be much of an improvement.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I just don't buy that. Why would he leave to go to the Western Conference? Even more odd if Chris Paul is leaving LA for the Spurs like everyone is saying

I don't think Chris Paul is leaving LA...too much money to walk away from. And it might be too much for the Spurs to give up to make room for him. They'd be old and thin if they went that route; seems like an off brand move for Pop and Buford.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'm just not sure what trade is out there for Boston with that #1 pick that makes more sense than just keeping it and taking Fultz. Where's the team with a young-ish star that is also committing to re-build?

Maybe the Pacers with Paul George, but the sticking point there is that all signs point to him heading to LA after his contract expires next season. No team is going to give up much for him without assurances that they'll be able to re-sign him.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think the Gordon Heyward to Boston, Josh Jackson getting promised a pick in the Top 3, and Celtic's trading their #1 are the most realistic. I would LOVE to see the Lakers not take Lonzo, just to see how LaVar reacts, but I feel like that is more of a smokescreen than any of the other ones.

I agree with you on Hayward to Boston. Seems like a no brainer given the connection between him and Stevens. The Josh Jackson thing is what throws me for a loop. I doubt the Celtics are promising anything to anyone, which leaves the Lakers and Sixers. He doesn't make much sense for the Sixers, who don't need another long athlete who doesn't shoot well. They need perimeter scoring. That leaves the Lakers, but then how far does Lonzo fall?

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I agree with you on Hayward to Boston. Seems like a no brainer given the connection between him and Stevens. The Josh Jackson thing is what throws me for a loop. I doubt the Celtics are promising anything to anyone, which leaves the Lakers and Sixers. He doesn't make much sense for the Sixers, who don't need another long athlete who doesn't shoot well. They need perimeter scoring. That leaves the Lakers, but then how far does Lonzo fall?
I think the Celtics promised Jackson, and they are going to move trade back with the Sixers and draft him at 3. But you're right that is the most interesting rumor floating around for sure.

And yeah the Hayward thing has been gaining even more steam recently because apparently his wife posted a photo of their son in a shamrock shirt and they "are quietly selling their home according to reports" I don't believe the house rumors, but where there's smoke...

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think the Celtics promised Jackson, and they are going to move trade back with the Sixers and draft him at 3. But you're right that is the most interesting rumor floating around for sure.

And yeah the Hayward thing has been gaining even more steam recently because apparently his wife posted a photo of their son in a shamrock shirt and they "are quietly selling their home according to reports" I don't believe the house rumors, but where there's smoke...

I don't think the shamrock thing had much to do with anything other than proving that Boston sports fans are ridiculous and obsessive.

But I think the most important thing to Hayward is winning, and Boston is closer to reaching the Finals than Utah.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Maybe the Pacers with Paul George, but the sticking point there is that all signs point to him heading to LA after his contract expires next season. No team is going to give up much for him without assurances that they'll be able to re-sign him.

That's the only one that kind of makes sense. Even the Butler stuff...I think I'd rather just sign Hayward into cap space and develop some young guys.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
This could be one of the more interesting drafts in the last few years, picks 2-10 or so could go a lot of different ways and there's not much drop off in that group. We'll see if anybody spends a first round pick on Giles from Duke too. It's a wasted pick if his athleticism doesn't come back.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
That's the only one that kind of makes sense. Even the Butler stuff...I think I'd rather just sign Hayward into cap space and develop some young guys.

I think that's the way to go, especially now with the possibility that Lebron James bolts for LA (I don't think it will happen, but if he does then just like that Boston's biggest obstacle is out of the way).

But just for ***** and giggles, say Danny Ainge gets word that Anthony Davis wants out of New Orleans before the draft next week. How much would it take to pry the Brow out of New Orleans? The first pick this year plus players? The first pick this year plus the right to swap picks with the Nets pick in 2018? All of the above? A core of IT, Bradley, Crowder, Davis, and Horford...is that enough to take the next step?

Edit: I know I'm essentially ignoring league rules and salary cap implications. This is just for kicks.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Dennis Smith is the steal of the draft

There are so many good PG prospects this year. Any other year Smith is a surefire top five pick. This year, he could fall out of the top ten as the fourth or fith PG off the board. All depends on what the teams at the top of the draft are looking for from their point guard.

I think Malik Monk is going to be a good value pick for someone. He's the best pure scorer in this draft.

• Agree
Reactions: cmjh10

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
I think that's the way to go, especially now with the possibility that Lebron James bolts for LA (I don't think it will happen, but if he does then just like that Boston's biggest obstacle is out of the way).

But just for ***** and giggles, say Danny Ainge gets word that Anthony Davis wants out of New Orleans before the draft next week. How much would it take to pry the Brow out of New Orleans? The first pick this year plus players? The first pick this year plus the right to swap picks with the Nets pick in 2018? All of the above? A core of IT, Bradley, Crowder, Davis, and Horford...is that enough to take the next step?

Edit: I know I'm essentially ignoring league rules and salary cap implications. This is just for kicks.

Small correction, Boston gets NJ's pick in 2018. There is no swapping of picks next year between the two.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Small correction, Boston gets NJ's pick in 2018. There is no swapping of picks next year between the two.

Right, but becasue of the Stepien Rule the Celtics can't flat out trade consecutive first round picks. At least I think that's how it works. So Boston owns the Nets first rounder in 2018, which in all likelihood is a top three pick AGAIN. Without Davis but still with Boogie on board, the Pelicans win maybe 35-40 games and end up with something like the twelfth overall pick. So the Pelicans move up to the top three and the Celts still get a lottery pick; albeit a low one.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Right, but becasue of the Stepien Rule the Celtics can't flat out trade consecutive first round picks. At least I think that's how it works. So Boston owns the Nets first rounder in 2018, which in all likelihood is a top three pick AGAIN. Without Davis but still with Boogie on board, the Pelicans win maybe 35-40 games and end up with something like the twelfth overall pick. So the Pelicans move up to the top three and the Celts still get a lottery pick; albeit a low one.

Right, Boston will most likely have a Top 3 pick along with their normal pick that will probably end up in the high 20's next season.

To get Davis it would take this years #1, next years #1 from NJ as well as some players IMO. And that is just for Davis, I dont think NO would package their #1 pick next year with him.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: jbindm

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Really starting to sound like the Lakers might pass on Ball, either that or they are intentionally trying to float that notion. I don't think there's any way he falls out of the top five though.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron