SI's preseason look not generous to states ... Big 12 MBB

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
I love how these "analysts" like to say it will be tough for ISU to rebound from losing the 4 seniors while bringing in a couple highly touted recruits and a couple grad transfers and put them in 9th place. Then place Texas in the top 4 because they have highly touted players coming to a team that was complete trash last year. Texas will be the same over hyped pile of **** this year as they are every year. I'm not worried about having to eat crow.

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
These things get more and more comical each year. Baylor third? OSU ahead of us? OSU will be on par with parade trash next year.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Meh, I expect to see some bumps in the road, but as in the past I'm expecting Prohm to have them playing their best ball at the end of the yr.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Meh, I expect to see some bumps in the road, but as in the past I'm expecting Prohm to have them playing their best ball at the end of the yr.

Yeah, two years in a row, Prohm has had ISU playing its best in February and March. That's enough of a trend for me to buy in. With Tally on board, they have some depth now. I expect once March comes around, ISU will be a few spots higher than the predicted 9th and be a bubble team. If someone guaranteed me the play in game right now, I'd take it.

Reactions: NWICY

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I think this team will finish higher than expectations, but I really can't blame national media looking from afar to question how this team will play. ISU did loose a lot of Senior minutes and going to be replacing them with relative unknowns. I really like the potential of the replacements but they haven't proven it yet.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
I don`t see why this should surprise anyone. ISU has historically been undervalued in things like this. And there are causes for at least a bit of skepticism this year. hopefully the prognosticators are proven wrong yet again.

Reactions: NWICY

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I don`t see why this should surprise anyone. ISU has historically been undervalued in things like this. And there are causes for at least a bit of skepticism this year. hopefully the prognosticators are proven wrong yet again.

True, ISU doesn't generally get the nod when it comes to reloading, compared to a program like Texas (and quite a few other schools). And it's a combo of UT-plus-Shaka, so it's more capable of making a climb, while Iowa State lost so much its roster addition can't possibly sustain recent success.

I try to keep that in mind.

An amusing thing, Texas has finished above Iowa State in Big 12 conference once (with I think on other tie) since after 2010-11. Each team has had two coaches during that stretch. But UT gets more benefit of the doubt.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
molly-geary.png
Molly Geary is a producer for SI.com. A graduate of the University of Maryland, Geary has worked for the company since 2014.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclonepride

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Analyst have every right to think we will be in the bottom 3rd of the league this year. Not that that means it will happen that way, but based on what we are losing and how much real research they do, this doesn't surprise me at all. And there will be more before there is less

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I guess it's fair considering how much production Prohm has to replace. It'd be nice to get the benefit of the doubt after six straight tournament appearances, but whatever. Nothing wrong with being the underdog every now and again.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I'm surprised OSU is anywhere but last.

OSU can still put a pretty decent starting lineup out there between grad transfer Kendall Smith, Carroll, Solomon/Sima, McGriff/Dillard, and a maybe Waters or Averette at SG. I'd pick them last, but they probably aren't going to be terrible.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
OSU can still put a pretty decent starting lineup out there between grad transfer Kendall Smith, Carroll, Solomon/Sima, McGriff/Dillard, and a maybe Waters or Averette at SG. I'd pick them last, but they probably aren't going to be terrible.

Having Carroll back definitely helps. Lot of youth, seems like some talent (sound like any other Big 12 school?) ... uncertainty w/ new coach.

This year's conference seems like it could be tightly packed toward the middle ... lot of teams in range between 11-7 and 7-11, maybe not many bottom-feeders or extreme power at the top. So even if OSU is 10th, could be better than 4-14 type of team.

I could be proven entirely wrong, of course.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I don't think there will be much of a gap between 4-10. Pretty evenly matched group of teams based on what they lost and new additions. No doormats, at least it doesn't look that way right now.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500 and Doc

Help Support Us

Become a patron