KU Athletics planning $300 million Memorial Stadium renovation

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Been on road trips to many college football stadiums and I've always debated within myself as to who has the dumpiest stadium out there, and it has always been between KU and Northwestern. They've both been neck and neck. Trust me, it needs all of that $300 million.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and JP4CY

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
What are you talking about? I am a season ticket holder at KU and I do not have to buy any football tickets, let alone season tickets. Don't just make stuff up, that's a flat out lie.

Many KU fans do purchase season tickets to other KU sports as a way to earn more points per dollar than just donating the same amount of money to the Williams Education Fund. Every year, my family buys season tickets to women's volleyball and then donates them to a local high school volleyball program because we get more points than if we just donated the money directly.

All they mean by the "clear the deck" statement is that Zenger has gotten all of the other things that needed to be done (updates to AFH and new dorms for KU hoops, building new facilities for track, softball and soccer, etc...) completed so that the next big chunks of fundraising money can be focused on the football team. And I truly do believe that the additional money spent on the team's facilities as well as the focus on hiring better assistants to recruit better, will result in a better product on the field and more fans in attendance.

So it's you and your family that we see at the football games. We were wondering who was in the stands. Good work by you

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Been on road trips to many college football stadiums and I've always debated within myself as to who has the dumpiest stadium out there, and it has always been between KU and Northwestern. They've both been neck and neck. Trust me, it needs all of that $300 million.
I've been to:
Jack Trice
Kinnick
Mizzou
Colorado
A&M
Texas
TCU
Okie State
Kansas
Wisconsin
Minnesota
West Virginia (this year)

I can tell you Kansas is the worst. They had a semi trailer toilet setup past one of their end zones. Edwin Arceo was in there for a while during a game.
Okie State looks nice inside the bowl but there is nothing special about it. Under all those seats are tons of columns, pea gravel, and advertising signs.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
It's good Ku is saving the old building. The site will be very nice when properly renovated. Cal fixed theirs, why not Ku? Both have a bunch of doctors and lawyers to fund it.

645d3537385709daa00f00fd2efaef7f.jpg

Last edited:

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
So they're building seats for Nebraska fans now. Just like the good ol days. That would be typical B1G to add another bottom dweller like KU and then justify it with MBB and getting the KC market.

The two KU grads that I know are KU bball fans and NU football fans. They claim that since they have family in Nebraska it's OK that they are truly the worst bandwagon fans.

I guess getting to play NU every two years in Lawrence is a better plan to get KU bball fans to show up for 1 game every two years than what they've been doing.

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
That is a lot of bucks for 25k plush seats with backs and built in beer dispensers.

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
What are you talking about? I am a season ticket holder at KU and I do not have to buy any football tickets, let alone season tickets. Don't just make stuff up, that's a flat out lie.

Many KU fans do purchase season tickets to other KU sports as a way to earn more points per dollar than just donating the same amount of money to the Williams Education Fund. Every year, my family buys season tickets to women's volleyball and then donates them to a local high school volleyball program because we get more points than if we just donated the money directly.

All they mean by the "clear the deck" statement is that Zenger has gotten all of the other things that needed to be done (updates to AFH and new dorms for KU hoops, building new facilities for track, softball and soccer, etc...) completed so that the next big chunks of fundraising money can be focused on the football team. And I truly do believe that the additional money spent on the team's facilities as well as the focus on hiring better assistants to recruit better, will result in a better product on the field and more fans in attendance.
NOOOOO....we always need a sure win like UNI.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Well, I guess KU feels real good about conference stability and/or their ability to move to another power conference. You just don't pay off a $300M bill in a short period of time unless you start charging LA Laker ticket prices for their MBB games.

They aren't doing that already?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
KU is one of the worst stadiums - but it certainly is in a gorgeous setting. Anxious to see what the plans are - I assume they will get rid of the horseshoe end zone stands, where the seats are soooo far away from the action.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
KU is one of the worst stadiums - but it certainly is in a gorgeous setting. Anxious to see what the plans are - I assume they will get rid of the horseshoe end zone stands, where the seats are soooo far away from the action.

I think they will go the other direction. Move the field back into the horseshoe and rebuild you press box in the center of the field. Texas did this when they removed their track and re-did their end zone.

Lowering the field and adding in a few more rows towards the bottom would bring the action closer to the field.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Lowering the field and adding in a few more rows towards the bottom would bring the action closer to the field.

Lowering the field brings the action closer? Methinks not, except for the additional rows. Moving the field towards the bowl would bring those end zone seats closer.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Lowering the field brings the action closer? Methinks not, except for the additional rows. Moving the field towards the bowl would bring those end zone seats closer.

Right, sorry I did mean add additional rows. Much like Ohio State when they removed their track:

OSU%20Ho9.jpg

1200px-Skorry-ohiostadium_6048.jpg

You can clearly see where the old stadium used to end.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
There's been talk in Lawrence about removing the bowl entirely, squaring off that end, to bring the field closer and give better sight lines. It's pretty complex. But with $300 million, a lot of changes can be made to make Memorial a nice site for college football. Lots of good bones.