KU Athletics planning $300 million Memorial Stadium renovation

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Right, sorry I did mean add additional rows. Much like Ohio State when they removed their track:
Gorm, I suspect they'll start with the east side, which is pretty dreadful today. Maybe tear it down and start over with a move, as you say, of the field to the north, bringing the bowl closer, or, perhaps, taking those seats out as well and squaring off the stadium. The north exterior would remain.

gridiron_club_football_mly_t460.jpg

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
It's good Ku is saving the old building. The site will be very nice when properly renovated. Cal fixed theirs, why not Ku? Both have a bunch of doctors and lawyers to fund it.

645d3537385709daa00f00fd2efaef7f.jpg
200w.gif

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Spending $300m on that **** hole? CSU is building an entirely new stadium for $220m.
The bones of that old stadium are far better than what either ISU or, certainly, K-State started with prior to renovation. I guess if you don't give a crap about historically important structures, it wouldn't make much sense. But I certainly do. And I applaud Ku for not tearing it down for some new age cookie cutter structure like Baylor or Minnesota.

• Agree
Reactions: SC Cy

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The bones of that old stadium are far better than what either ISU or, certainly, K-State started with prior to renovation. I guess if you don't give a crap about historically important structures, it wouldn't make much sense. But I certainly do. And I applaud Ku for not tearing it down for some new age cookie cutter structure like Baylor or Minnesota.
What do you mean by "bones?" It's old, we all know that but there it didn't look special at all when I was there for a game.
I mean, its cool its on campus, but that isn't "bones."

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
What do you mean by "bones?" It's old, we all know that but there it didn't look special at all when I was there for a game.
I mean, its cool its on campus, but that isn't "bones."

The north end facade is the primary feature that should be kept and improved. Also, they'll want to have the stadium open to the south, so their 'almighty' hill is in view; it's important to them.
MemorialStadium-02.jpg

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The north end facade is the primary feature that should be kept and improved. Also, they'll want to have the stadium open to the south, so their 'almighty' hill is in view; it's important to them.
MemorialStadium-02.jpg

I guess a North facade and being able to see a hill aren't really "bones" in my opinion but to each their own.
To me, the Old Soldier Field had great bones, and the Bears bastardized it with a UFO stadium.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I guess a North facade and being able to see a hill aren't really "bones" in my opinion but to each their own.
To me, the Old Soldier Field had great bones, and the Bears bastardized it with a UFO stadium.
https://stadium.colostate.edu/

I can see something like CSU's, with the south open to the hill and the north squared-off with an apron reception, ticket, vendor, et al area between the existing facade and the new stands. It could be very nice.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
It says a lot that the Taj Ma-KU for the basketball playboys was a higher priority than the football stadium.
Yes, it says "it's easier to raise $17 million before you try to raise $300 million". It's called basic accounting and good management.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
MemorialStadium-02.jpg
Not sure that the Jayhawks have ever had this many fans at a real game. But yes, the North end façade is pretty cool.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Generally it makes a lot of sense. Timing is perfect. Interest rates are low and KU bball is hot for collecting donations. It will set them up well for conference realignment in a few years. But here's my beef with it: they need to knock that carny trash thing down and build a new one. Play at Arrowhead for a year during construction. Minnesota built a new one for $250mm. KU needs a new one vs. rehabbing the current structure.