BASKETBALL RECRUITING: Former MSU G Korie Lucious to visit this weekend

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
However, you are losing good depth for the next 3 years for someone who can only play a year after sitting out a year...

I wouldn't call it good depth. Unless things go horribly wrong for Fred, Bubu should be recruited over every year. We don't need bodies for the sake of having bodies. We need top level talent. The talent gap between us and the top of the B12 is huge, we need to take chances on some guys to close the gap.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I wouldn't call it good depth. Unless things go horribly wrong for Fred, Bubu should be recruited over every year. We don't need bodies for the sake of having bodies. We need top level talent. The talent gap between us and the top of the B12 is huge, we need to take chances on some guys to close the gap.

I'm simply playing devils advocate here. I honesty wouldn't expect Bubu to leave as he would lose a year of eligibility unless he went the D2 route. However, he is not a bad backup at all, not great, but not bad. This year has shown as much as any how important depth is.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
I find it funny how different the views are between football and basketball. In football it's all about patience, development, patience. In basketball it's about quick fixes, transfers and 2 years from now is too far to care about.

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
Who is to say the kid is not going to pay his own way next year and then be on scholarship in 2012?

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
It doesn't make much sense to use a scholarship for 2 years on a guy who can only play 1.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
If he can stay out of trouble and accept his role, whatever it may be, sign him up. You can never have enough quality guards.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Who is to say the kid is not going to pay his own way next year and then be on scholarship in 2012?

This is kind of what I hope they do if we go with him, unless someone has already expressed interest in leaving (Railey is the only who who I could imagine would at this point). I dont want this program to set the presidence that thy will dump people if something better comes along...

Reactions: Judoka

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I find it funny how different the views are between football and basketball. In football it's all about patience, development, patience. In basketball it's about quick fixes, transfers and 2 years from now is too far to care about.

That's because in basketball, a star player or two can be enough to take a team to the Final 4. Also, true freshman are often able to compete physically in basketball. In football a true freshman having an All-American season is extremely rare. In basketball its commonplace.

I'm sure Fred is under a lot of pressure to make us relevent right now, not in 5 years. Plus his NBA connections are at their strongest just as he leaves the league, making it easier to attract players that want to have a shot at the NBA.

That being said, as I posted earlier, I'd be happy to have him as long as it doesn't require pulling an existing scholarship offer from a high school kid.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Has anyone asked why Korie was let go at MSU? I'd like to know if it's public knowledge. Granted, the staff will know.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Best post in this thread. Please read the above again and tell me why we wouldn't love to have Luscious?

+1 Mr. Blum.

Ignore the stats all you want, he's never shot better than 37% from the field in a season, and his shooting percentage went from 37% as a freshman, to 34% as a sophomore, to 31% this season.

I have no problem taking transfers, especially ones like Allen who we needed situationally and who actually WAS a final four starter. My problem isn't with Lucious per se, my problem is that we're tying up a scholarship on somebody who IMO isn't good enough to deserve it.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

I would be 100% on board with this even though I'm not sold on him as a player.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Ignore the stats all you want, he's never shot better than 37% from the field in a season, and his shooting percentage went from 37% as a freshman, to 34% as a sophomore, to 31% this season.

I have no problem taking transfers, especially ones like Allen who we needed situationally and who actually WAS a final four starter. My problem isn't with Lucious per se, my problem is that we're tying up a scholarship on somebody who IMO isn't good enough to deserve it.
Keep in mind Michigan State guys usually have lower offensive stats than other teams around the nation because of their depth and offensive philosophy. I'm not sure that would explain the shooting percentage though.
I'm thinking the guy just needs a change of scenery and we certainly can't be above taking fliers on these kind of guys. The way I look at it is we can either take a 2 year flier on Korie Lucious or risk giving it to a high school guy who doesn't pan out at all and ties a scholarship up for four years. Our HS recruiting has not been up to Big 12 Standards the last few years.
The key for 12-13 will be Royce White sticking around.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
It's not all about the shooting stats when it comes to PG's. Lucious has a better A/TO ratio than DG this year. I'll take that anyday of the week.

Becker

Nov 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids
The days of "rebuilding" a program are long gone. Coaches are now expected to win now and often. With kids always looking for better opportunities, I think you have to get the best kid now. Even if he only has one year left. There aren't a lot of kids that are studs that play all 4 years. Most of the time only role players stay for 4. I like what CFH is doing by getting all the talent he can and let the rest play itself out.

Question: What was the last recruiting class that all stayed in school and played all 4 years (or 5 with a red shirt)? I have no idea, but would be interesting to know.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron