BASKETBALL RECRUITING: Former MSU G Korie Lucious to visit this weekend

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I don't think CFH dumps anyone for KL. I think if CFH brings him in than it will tell us there is someone on the team who has expressed interest (privately) in transferring after the season.

Our 13 scholly players right now are these right?

1. Allen
2. Anderson
3. Babb
4. Booker
5. Scott C
6. Ejim
7. DG
8. Godfrey
9. McKnight
10. Phillips
11. Railey
12. JVB
13. White

Did anyone take Phillips schooly when he left?

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
Breaking this down, if he does transfer it wouldn't be to back up McGee. So I'd guess that McGee would move to the 2 and Babb would switch back and forth between the 2 and 3. Giving Ejim and Cook some minutes at the 3 and depending on White returning, unknown minutes at the 4. If Lucious does transfer someone will have to go next year (maybe this is already a done deal) most likely from the front court. Of course it is possible that he'd pay his own way while he sits for a year.

I'd be more in favor of him coming if this is the case. That way he wouldn't be using a scholarship while he sits.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
not a fan either, would prefer a 4 yr player, but if this is the best we can get then id welcome him

Show me the list of the programs from the power conferences in the Top 25 that have rosters that are built with, and dominated by, a bunch of 4 year players.

If you want to truly compete in a power conference and be in the national discussion you need to have more talented guys than you typically get with a player that hangs around for 4 years.

It is what it is.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Our 13 scholly players right now are these right?

1. Allen
2. Anderson
3. Babb
4. Booker
5. Scott C
6. Ejim
7. DG
8. Godfrey
9. McKnight
10. Phillips
11. Railey
12. JVB
13. White

Did anyone take Phillips schooly when he left?

We were already short one scholly for our incoming class before DP transferred. We are losing DG, JVB, Phillips, and Anderson and gaining Cook, Odunsi, Sledge, and McGee

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
We were already short one scholly for our incoming class before DP transferred. We are losing DG, JVB, Phillips, and Anderson and gaining Cook, Odunsi, Sledge, and McGee

So how does Lucious fit into this? Someone has to go. Also, anyone afraid Palo will jet and head somehwere were he will be on scholarship?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
So to the people against bringing him in for 1 year. Would you be against FH going after a potential 1 and done high schooler? It's college basketball, any program worth a lick is dealing with 1 or 2 year players all the time. College bball coaches and players (atleast the ones I'd like to see us get) aren't looking for a 4 or 5 year committment. It's about winning now and dealing with the turnover as it comes.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
LOL.

Firstly, our team needs more legitimate Big 12 caliber starters...NOT more reserves.

Secondly, the vast majority of teams use a 7 to 10 man rotation in MBB...frankly, it is typical that half the team is there for game action (7 or 8 guys) and the other half is there so you can practice effectively and they can be developed for future years.

I love the fact that Hoiberg is trying to get the talent infusion we need to start winning again ASAP. This is MBB and your fortunes can change very quickly...thankfully Hoiberg understands this even though many in our fan base apparently do not.

My deepest hope is that at some point, in the not too distant future, we are able to be recruiting guys that are either one and done type guys to the NBA or guys that only stay 2, maybe 3, years...guys that can really play...guys the NBA wants.
I stand by us needing 13 scholarship players, so we can have 8-9 Big 12 players. We are not getting Baylor level recruits here(that made me throw up a little in my mouth). we are pulling in some high upside guys that arre 3 stars. These are not sure things and some will not work out, so we need to fill all 13 of these with usable players so we can develop the 8-9 that can play Big 12 basketball.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
So how does Lucious fit into this? Someone has to go. Also, anyone afraid Palo will jet and head somehwere were he will be on scholarship?

Not at all. Palo's a good kid, but if we can get more playing time somewhere else, great. He's never going to be a starting B12 quality guard.

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
We could have used some clutchness like this in recent games

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3_bcJyAaI4"]YouTube - Korie Lucious Game Winning Buzzer Beater vs Maryland[/ame]

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Best post in this thread. Please read the above again and tell me why we wouldn't love to have Luscious?

+1 Mr. Blum.

Because he's failed multiple drug tests in East Lansing and been given 5-6 chances.

Yes13

Oct 9, 2009
I'm all for it. Some on here act like all of our current players are irreplacable. Luscious would probably be our best player if he was on our team this year (likely second behind Garrett, unless there was 6 seconds on the clock:smile:).

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
[/B]

We've never seen these guys play, for all we know they could be the second coming of farnold degand and marcus brister.....

Degand was actually a solid basketball player who started multiple for years for North Carolina State. Brister, not so much.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Here's the deal, if he wants to come here on his own for next year and pay his own way, I'd be happy to give him a scholarship the following year. Experience on a final four team is always a plus. Not to mention the fact that he would make the scout team better next year.

I do however feel that CFH could bring in somebody better, both athletically and mindset, than to have Lucious using up a scholly for a year only to play one season. We aren't really lack in the guard position...

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Am I afraid that will lose a good walkon because we are landing scholarship basketball players who are better than him? Uh, no.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I'm about done with this transfer-in thing too. I'd rather us go out there and take fliers on high school kids that may not pan out. Come on, coach...we've been doing pretty well the last 5 years with our current system. Why would you want to go out and take 40% of Michigan State's final four team from last year?! We are Iowa State! Kids are lining up to play here!

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Degand was actually a solid basketball player who started multiple for years for North Carolina State. Brister, not so much.

Degand also had terrible luck. He blew out both of his knees, and lost a lot of his explosiveness because of that.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I would be concerned if Fred pulls a scholarship offer from a high school kid for this. We already have early commits for next year, and what high school kid will be willing to commit to us in the future if he knows that it might get pulled on a whim if somebody gets kicked off a college team.

If he wants to come here off scholarship to try to get exposure and an NBA spot, I'd welcome him, but pulling offers is a bad precedent.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Am I afraid that will lose a good walkon because we are landing scholarship basketball players who are better than him? Uh, no.

However, you are losing good depth for the next 3 years for someone who can only play a year after sitting out a year...

Help Support Us

Become a patron