LOST: Dead is Dead

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Locke and Ben need their own spinoff after the series ends. Kinda like Bussom Buddies, without the drag

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Speaking of Losties in other shows, I was flipping around and stopped on Saving Private Ryan for a while, pretty quality movie, but i realized that Upham, the scrawny translater was Daniel Faraday. I had to go to IMDB to confirm it.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Where do I sign up to get thrown around like that by Alex?!?

url

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I don't think I am liking what I am seeing out of those 316 survivors, but it seems like they definitely know what they are doing.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
So how long til they show how Widmore hired them and set up how they got the weapons in that large metal crate.

TRZA

Mar 4, 2009
West Side of Des Moines
Did the Other's leave the guns behind, confident that the plane-wreck survivors would only fight among themselves? I think that lady who captured Sayid and brought him on the plane will figure into an upcoming episode.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
As always, lots of chewy tidbits to think over!

First off, thank you, producers and writers of LOST, for not killing off Ben. With the whole "Dead is Dead" episode title, and Ben confronting the "smoke monster" to be judged, well... I thought for sure that Ben was going to be offed. But there's more to that scene than meets the eye.

For a long time now, I've been contemplating the island's purpose for the ancient civilization that built its temples and statues on it. I theorized that it was a place that people were "brought" to in order to reconcile with their past experiences, be it to interact with a deceased loved one or a past trauma that they had to confront. As with a lot of the characters on the show, they have all had troubled pasts that they eventually atone for. This has become readily apparent by the reveal of the "judgement" room inside (or under?) the temple.

Ben's judgement reminded me of Eko's death in season 3. There he was confronted by the smoke monster, and after it had in effect "scanned" his past, his brother Yemi appeared in front of him. At first, Eko was overjoyed to see his dead brother, but soon realized that Yemi was not himself. Eko said he was not sorry for his past, which angered the smoke monster and beat the living daylight out of him.

Conversely, after Ben had been "scanned" by the monster, it disappears and his dead daughter Alex appears before him telling him to do whatever John Locke says to do. This isn't really Alex; it's the smoke monster, first appealing to his emotions, and then manipulating those to get its way.

Also, the producers said in a recent podcast in response to a fan question about the full reveal of the four-toed statue, Damon Lindelof said "Will we ever see the front of the statue? I think that we will -- well, actually, I think we'll get a pretty good idea of what the front of it looks like before the season is over."

The picture Ben saw just above smokey's vent? Anubis, the ancient egyptian god of the dead. From wikipedia:

Anubis was the god to protect the dead and bring them to the afterlife. He was usually portrayed as a half human, half jackal, or in full jackal form wearing a ribbon and holding a flail in the crook of its arm[5]. The jackal was strongly associated with cemeteries in ancient Egypt, since it was a scavenger which threatened to uncover human bodies and eat their flesh[6] The distinctive black color of Anubis "did not have to do with the jackal [per se] but with the color of rotting flesh and with the black soil of the Nile valley, symbolizing rebirth."[6]

I'll have to wait to get an image of the picture again, but it looked as if there was an image of the smoke monster delivering something to Anubis. So, while this island isn't purgatory, it may have appeared to be a purgatory-like location to the ancients who lived there or made use of the island. While Anubis may be a religious icon used to symbolize death, the smoke monster is part of the "real" world as it is according to Lost, and probably appeared to the ancient Egyptians that discovered the island that the smoke monster judged people and "delivered them to Anubis".

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
One thing that was very interesting is the fact that they made Ben's taking of Alex very sympathetic. It was Widmore who wanted her dead, and Ben took her in. There has to be more to this.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
this was one of my favorite episodes. I love Locke...and now, he has a swagger to him and I love that even more...total role reversal between he and Ben, and they certainly didnt have to even articulate it.

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006
Anyone else here think Caesar is still alive? There is no way he is gone, it just doesnt feel that way.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Anyone else here think Caesar is still alive? There is no way he is gone, it just doesnt feel that way.

I think he might be, but I kind of hope he is dead. Although, the way those other crash survivors were acting with the guns, he may actually turn out to be a good guy.

And, I know this sounds morbid, but I was kind of hoping that Ben killed Penny. I guess since he waited because of the child, I should be happy.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
"It's not a train Jon...it doesn't run on a schedule" (or something like that). I had a hard laugh when Ben said that to John talking about Smokey.

This episode gave us more proof that the island was around in ancient times. I still think that Richard is very, very old and was maybe around when the island "started" as he is the only one that doesn't age.

I love the Ben/Locke episodes, especially now since Locke knows what he is doing. Overall this was one of the stronger episodes of the season.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I dont think Ceaser is dead. I guess he could have been wearing a vest. I liked the threat to Ben about not killing Locke again. "I will destroy you!"

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

5 seconds after the shotgun went off I told my wife there is no way he is dead.

Lost isn't the kind of show to kill a guy off with the name CEASAR just for kicks. He is going to come back and drop the hammer on the other crash survivors.

May 14, 2006
Waterloo
So, is it fair to say that the smoke monster can turn into human form? If that is the case, then my mind wanders to old episodes were the dead reappear...

Is Christian the smoke monster too? Or, is Christian like Locke --killed off the island and re-born on the island. Maybe "dead is dead", if you die on the island, but not if you died off the island and are brought back.