Illinois fans

Mar 26, 2024
How you all feeling about tomorrow against the Huskies? What’s the general consensus from the Illini faithful?
The general fan is saying UConn is the best but we have a shot cuz anything can happen...sort of vibe. The team and the coaches...literally believe they can win this. So that is super encouraging. Tough tough game

Reactions: NWICY and CycloneOE

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
The general fan is saying UConn is the best but we have a shot cuz anything can happen...sort of vibe. The team and the coaches...literally believe they can win this. So that is super encouraging. Tough tough game
The one thing that intrigues me is how Illinois can render Clingan useless on the defensive end for UConn because you all have the ability to stretch and make those 15 footers.

Now, will it be enough? I think in the end the only way Illinois (or anyone for that matter) beats UConn is if UConn just has a game where they can’t make a damn shot.

Reactions: GlenviewIllini

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016
I work with a few Illinois grads and they really do hate Iowa. They’re from the Chicago suburbs and said that the worst kids from their high schools went there since they couldn’t get into IL. And they just got worse after a few years in IC

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
We ended up in a loge area where we were the only Cyclones in the middle of mostly Illini, with a few non-combatants mixed in. The guy next to me was nice enough and his girlfriend was sweet and a very enthusiastic fan but knew nothing about basketball. After ten minutes of her screaming "THAT'S A FOUL!" every time a Cyclone touched an Illini, her boyfriend finally started saying "No...it wasn't " It was really kind of funny. The drunks in the back two rows were another story, but I'm not going to judge a fan base by a few inebriated fans.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
We ended up in a loge area where we were the only Cyclones in the middle of mostly Illini, with a few non-combatants mixed in. The guy next to me was nice enough and his girlfriend was sweet and a very enthusiastic fan but knew nothing about basketball. After ten minutes of her screaming "THAT'S A FOUL!" every time a Cyclone touched an Illini, her boyfriend finally started saying "No...it wasn't " It was really kind of funny. The drunks in the back two rows were another story, but I'm not going to judge a fan base by a few inebriated fans.

Then what's the point? This is the Internet.

• Funny
Reactions: BigCyFan

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I work with a few Illinois grads and they really do hate Iowa. They’re from the Chicago suburbs and said that the worst kids from their high schools went there since they couldn’t get into IL. And they just got worse after a few years in IC
From what I understand, Illinois has very high admission standards to get into the university, not NW standards but very high. So, a lot of kids in the Chicago burbs try to get in and then when they do not their fallback plan is to go to EIU or Wisconsin. That way they can say they went to a B10 school.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm and Cycho1

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
The worst people I saw were actually ISU fans unfortunately. Just belligerently drunk.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
From what I understand, Illinois has very high admission standards to get into the university, not NW standards but very high. So, a lot of kids in the Chicago burbs try to get in and then when they do not their fallback plan is to go to EIU or Wisconsin. That way they can say they went to a B10 school.
Weird that Wisconsin is the fallback, they have almost the same admissions rate and rankings that Illinois does. Maybe it’s the out of state tuition costs the school can get that swings it towards admission.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Weird that Wisconsin is the fallback, they have almost the same admissions rate and rankings that Illinois does. Maybe it’s the out of state tuition costs the school can get that swings it towards admission.
You are thinking that the term fallback is a negative. Its very difficult for students in Illinois to get into the university of Illinois, but easier for them to get into Wisconsin and EIU. Both schools recruit the Chicago land very hard, knowing that a lot of kids want to go to a B10 school, and not all of them are going to get into UI.
Not long ago EIU had more out of state students than in-state students, the majority of those came from Chicago. These students bring in more money to the university, tended to have higher test scores than the Iowa kids.

• Informative
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

mark82

Jun 19, 2006
It is not the University of Chicago, but Illinois does have high admission standards. At Illinois, the standards vary by college. It may have changed since my son went there, but the Engineering and Business colleges had the highest admission standards. (My son attended the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences)

Also, Illinois had a very high number of out state students, I assume to collect the out of state tuition.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The worst people I saw were actually ISU fans unfortunately. Just belligerently drunk.

Some of them may have been at our hang out! Maybe I was one of them! Sorry I didn’t get to see you in person while we were in Boston.