*** Official Kansas State vs #7 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015

The remainder of KSU's season is entirely dependent upon this game. What are we playing for? Not expecting a big win, but I've certainly been wrong before. Hope I'm wrong again.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I know I'm in the minority here, but this tournament keeps giving me bowl game vibes.

After a long and strenuous regular season, teams like Houston, Iowa State, and Kansas (who already have high NCAA seeds locked up) have little to play for, other than the psychological aspect of maintaining momentum. KU's two best players who are fighting injuries could have played last night in at least some capacity, but wisely chose to sit it out in order to heal up before the dance.

On the other hand, teams not at the top of the conference are very motivated to win in order to move their NCAA seeding up or they're desperately motivated because they know their season ends with the next loss.

Tonight's ISU/KSU matchup features one team with little to play for vs another team with all the motivation in the world. While I very much want ISU to beat Tang and the purple kitties, I won't be crushed if ISU loses because I know bowl games very often go to the team that wants to be there the most, and I realize an early exit will allow Lipsey and Gilbert a chance to rest and heal up before the tournament that means everything.
For the multi-bid leagues, I think it would be better if the Regular Season Champion (#1 seed if tie-breakers are needed) not have to play in the Conference Tournament. Then, let the remaining teams play in the Conference Tournament for the auto-bid. Basically, no need for Houston to participate this season.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
For the multi-bid leagues, I think it would be better if the Regular Season Champion (#1 seed if tie-breakers are needed) not have to play in the Conference Tournament. Then, let the remaining teams play in the Conference Tournament for the auto-bid. Basically, no need for Houston to participate this season.
I could live with that. I've never understood the point of a conference tournament after you've spent four months and 126 games to determine the conference champion. It's basically just a money making exhibition and post-season tournament for those teams whose season would otherwise end.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think that policy would have to apply evenly across conferences, meaning that every league would be a two bid league. Doubt the big boys will ever let that happen.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Was surprised at ISU -7.5. Not sure what to make of that.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Looking forward to our game tonight!

We went to the Wednesday evening games; we wanted to see who we would be playing tonight, and wanted to watch a little of the KU-Cincy matchup.

2 takeaways from the KU game:
KU fans DO boo...and they boo LOUDLY
KU fans are quitters...the stands were emptying out at the 8 minute mark. They were only 11 pts down. They brought it to within 2 just a couple of minutes previously.
We were also there for the KState and much of the KU games. A casual basketball fan family of four sat next to us. From St. Louis with no allegiance to any team -- they just wanted to do something with their younger kids (two older are in Florida for spring break) and they like/play basketball. At one point, the mom says to me, there sure are a lot of Iowa State fans here - and you're not even playing! I assured her that Iowa State fans follow the sport and our team, and that's why she saw so much cardinal and gold in the stands.

HackTheGibson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 18, 2013
Omaha
When do we hear about Watson? Or will that not be until tip? He's the kind of guy that can make a huge difference against teams like kstate. We really missed him in the second half on Saturday

• Agree
Reactions: NENick and CyNews

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Kind of a good situation for us either way. Win and they're NIT bound. Lose and we get at least a week rest for the NCAA tourney.

alenz95

Apr 16, 2015
Bettendorf/ Ames
The remainder of KSU's season is entirely dependent upon this game. What are we playing for? Not expecting a big win, but I've certainly been wrong before. Hope I'm wrong again.

We are playing for a chance to win a Big-12 Championship, the potential to match our highest seed ever in the NCAA tournament, a chance to end a rivals season, and to impress a lot of ISU fans who will be in attendance. Let's not act like this game doesn't actually matter to us.

Cyclones8824

Cyclones nation. Let’s ride
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 16, 2022
Ankeny
We are playing loose with nothing to lose. Kstate is playing for there season. Time to to crush the purple cities.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
I don’t like this. I love conference tournaments and don’t want load management to ruin them. I would rather we move the tournament up a few days (a la the MVC).