Iowa FB 2024-28 B1G Opponents Announced

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I have never said you did say it was going to improve their on the field performance, but many of your fellow fanbase, just take it for granted that once the money is rolling in, every athlete worth a damn will be choosing schools from the Big easy or the SEC, which I do not believe to be true.

The only way having the money helps those schools if they can start to use it for NIL or increasing the number of scholarships, because other school have just as good as facilities, it's not all like the Big easy schools are unbelievable and the Big 12 and ACC are high school level.

You like the rest of your fanbase somehow think this money is the magic bullet, and its not.
Lol, what?

• Haha
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
No one is denying that EIU and the rest will spend the money, and yes, its better to have it than not have it. But that is just talking in circles. The money is not going to help their on the field results, and that is all that really matters.

What major improvement can EIU do at their stadium that they have not already done? Sure you can always do more, but that is not going to get you a better product on the field. I have said it before, most of these new found money will not be going to football and basketball they were already getting a majority of the funding. It will be going to build the baseball team a new field or redo their present one, build a stand alone wrestling room, none of these things are going to help the football and basketball teams.

But you guys can continue to crow about how all this money is going to be a game changer in the dynamics of college football and somehow EIU is going to be at the top of the food chain.
I assume at some point the money translates to recruiting advantages in the form of funneling to players.

Reactions: Cyclonsin and 7Got6

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
Tier One = OSU, Michigan, USC

Tier Two = PSU, Oregon, Washington

Tier Three = Wisconsin, UCLA, Iowa, MSU

Tier Four = Purdue, Minnesota, Nebraska (has potential to move up to Three), Maryland

Tier Five = Rutgers, Indiana, NW, Illinois,
This pretty spot on. Only potential change I’d make is to slide Washington to tier 3.

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
I assume at some point the money translates to recruiting advantages in the form of funneling to players.
I feel like the same poster has unsuccessfully tried to persuade everyone on this board that money doesn’t matter. Currently it’s true the players don’t have access to the tv money. Even if the schools are successful at squirreling that money away from the players long term, that money can be thrown at the best coaches and coordinators.

As soon as the TV deals were the hot topic and NIL came along, all you need is a competent AD to start pleading donors to redirect their donations to the collectives. It’s really not rocket science. Barta just made it look that way.

Last edited:

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Maybe, but right now doing so is illegal, and that was one of the two ways that I said that all these money would give them a large advantage. But until that is allowed, or the scholarships are increased, then this newfound wealth will not change the on the field performance of many of these teams.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
My six cents:

Regarding money:
It's only a matter of time before football players (and likely MBB, too) are paid outright. Might not happen right away, but it will happen. And that's when the differences in AD earnings will make a tremendous difference. Until then, however, ADs can still ask their donors to funnel their support to their collectives and NIL opportunities rather than directly to the AD since those will be better funded from media deals.

To say much higher media deals won't make it significantly easier to acquire talent compared to schools making far less is asinine. Stop pretending it'll be even close to an even playing field.

Regarding the B1G schedules:
Teams like Iowa should still be able to win 8-10 games every year, but how often will that be good enough to make the title game? I suspect that game will be between two undefeated 1-loss teams most years, so it will be extremely difficult to make the title game with even 2 formidable opponents.

Regarding the B1G vs Big XII debate:
Obviously the B1G has a high end that the XII doesn't (and likely never will again). As it stands right now I'd say that most of the 16 new XII schools average out to be about Minnesota/Purdue/Nebby tier. But, as I've seen others say, the bottom of the B1G can absolutely rise above the middle of the XII if those ADs make the choice to do so with time.

As ISU fans we aren't in the P2, and we never will be. But... for right now... we're in the next best thing. We could easily have been OSU/WSU, so I'm grateful to be where we are. But to compare the XII's future to that of the SEC/B1G is preposterous.

• Agree
Reactions: 7Got6 and 1UNI2ISU

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
My six cents:

Regarding money:
It's only a matter of time before football players (and likely MBB, too) are paid outright. Might not happen right away, but it will happen. And that's when the differences in AD earnings will make a tremendous difference. Until then, however, ADs can still ask their donors to funnel their support to their collectives and NIL opportunities rather than directly to the AD since those will be better funded from media deals.

To say much higher media deals won't make it significantly easier to acquire talent compared to schools making far less is asinine. Stop pretending it'll be even close to an even playing field.

Regarding the B1G schedules:
Teams like Iowa should still be able to win 8-10 games every year, but how often will that be good enough to make the title game? I suspect that game will be between two undefeated 1-loss teams most years, so it will be extremely difficult to make the title game with even 2 formidable opponents.

Regarding the B1G vs Big XII debate:
Obviously the B1G has a high end that the XII doesn't (and likely never will again). As it stands right now I'd say that most of the 16 new XII schools average out to be about Minnesota/Purdue/Nebby tier. But, as I've seen others say, the bottom of the B1G can absolutely rise above the middle of the XII if those ADs make the choice to do so with time.

As ISU fans we aren't in the P2, and we never will be. But... for right now... we're in the next best thing. We could easily have been OSU/WSU, so I'm grateful to be where we are. But to compare the XII's future to that of the SEC/B1G is preposterous.
I don't see any way Iowa is an 8-10 win team with the new scheduling in place, at least not with our current staff.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
I don't see any way Iowa is an 8-10 win team with the new scheduling in place, at least not with our current staff.
Eh, just glancing at next year I see 5 fairly comfortable conference wins for them. Add in 3 non-con wins and you're already at 8. And that's without the typical black magic upset that they seem to pull off yearly.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Eh, just glancing at next year I see 5 fairly comfortable conference wins for them. Add in 3 non-con wins and you're already at 8. And that's without the typical black magic upset that they seem to pull off yearly.
It's also without the annual L that nobody sees coming. Happens pretty much every season. Iowa has basically been an 8-10 win program over the past several seasons playing a much weaker schedule that avoided multiple conference powers most years. I don't see how we maintain that once we have the likes of tOSU, Mich, USC, Oregon, PSU, Washington on the schedule every year.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
It's also without the annual L that nobody sees coming. Happens pretty much every season. Iowa has basically been an 8-10 win program over the past several seasons playing a much weaker schedule that avoided multiple conference powers most years. I don't see how we maintain that once we have the likes of tOSU, Mich, USC, Oregon, PSU, Washington on the schedule every year.
Good points. I suppose 8-10 wins is more of a ceiling with the current staff. Likely more in the 6-8 range annually. I still think they'll make a bowl virtually every year as things stand. That said, I have a hard time imagining Kirk sticking around more than a few years, so who know what happens then.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Good points. I suppose 8-10 wins is more of a ceiling with the current staff. Likely more in the 6-8 range annually. I still think they'll make a bowl virtually every year as things stand. That said, I have a hard time imagining Kirk sticking around more than a few years, so who know what happens then.
This is a whole other discussion but not staying 'in the family' at Iowa would be a massive mistake. It's a unique job. You've got to hire LeVar Woods there.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
This is a whole other discussion but not staying 'in the family' at Iowa would be a massive mistake. It's a unique job. You've got to hire LeVar Woods there.
Disagree. It doesn't have to be someone with Iowa ties or who's in the mold of KF's aw-shucksie, lunch pale, unsexy style. That's the first thing that strikes me when I hear Iowa fans suggest Klieman from KSU. First, I'm not convinced he'd leave KSU for the job. Second, why do people think the next coach has to bring the same approach/philosophy as KF? 40+ years ago Iowa hired a guy who'd never been to our state and who brought some attitude and swagger and liked scoring points and that worked out ok. I hope they open it up and do a true search and not limit it.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Meh, it's always a tight game and I think Rhule has a good chance to get Nebby back to at least a respectable level.
It’s going to be really interesting how the mid section of the B1G solidifies over the next few years. Thinking that Iowa, Wisky, MSU, UCLA, Neb grouping.

It could be like the Big 12 in basketball where the 4-6 teams in the middle just take turns being up and down and beat each other up.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
It’s going to be really interesting how the mid section of the B1G solidifies over the next few years. Thinking that Iowa, Wisky, MSU, UCLA, Neb grouping.

It could be like the Big 12 in basketball where the 4-6 teams in the middle just take turns being up and down and beat each other up.
Iowa's next hire will be even more magnified now. I feel it is a great job that should attract some high quality coaches because of the pay, fan base and their loyalty to coaches that don't get fired on a whim.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan