clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
St Louis, MO
For me the ranking goes:

1. Christy Johnson (Women's VB) - a shocking hire
2. Lifetime Contract for Bill F (Women's BB) - no brainer
3. Cael Sanderson (Wrestling) - another no brainer
4. Gene Chizik (Football) - all criticism aside
5. Wally Burnham (FB DC) - I rank him higher than PR because of his proven success, he could actually become a D1 football coach somewhere with his resume.
6. Paul Rhoads (Football) - a true Cyclone
7. Tom Herman (FB OC) - I don't know how we got an OC of his calibre to come to Iowa State
8. Greg McD (Mens BB) - It seemed like a good hire at the time, not sure how he will stick around with another mediocre season next year.

Last edited:

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
Re: Rank the Hires by JP administration

we count assistant coaches as JP hires now?

Reactions: CyBobby

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
i thought he hired Christy as well. if nothing else he just gave her that great extension. what about the new softball coach...that team looks to be turning it around.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
i thought he hired Christy as well. if nothing else he just gave her that great extension. what about the new softball coach...that team looks to be turning it around.

Doesn't matter - the less credit I have to give BVDV on a daily basis the much happier my life is... :cool:

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
At the time of the hire, Chizik was widely regarded as a grand-slam hire. I can't fault JP for that at all, and it would be #1 on my list, especially because football is the motor that makes any athletic department run.

Reactions: cyfanatic

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
Chizik was a good hire at the time. Turns out to be a Bad Pick, but oh well.

I would not count assistants. Both of Chizik's Assistants killed him. I did not see anything extra special out of the Bolt or McFarland, so you would have to Rate both of those Hires as F (for Failure).

Head Coach Lesson #1 - Don't Hire your Buddy, Hire the guy most Qualified.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
At the time of the hire, Chizik was widely regarded as a grand-slam hire. I can't fault JP for that at all, and it would be #1 on my list, especially because football is the motor that makes any athletic department run.

JP hired the Chiz knowing full well that he would bolt for a better job. (I think he said as much in a press conference.) He just figured that he would win more than 5 games total before he left. I thought the same way. I knew Chizik would be gone following some success, but the manner in which he left is what irks me, and most others, the most. He didn't bring the success he should have and wasted multiple opportunities in the process.
All in all, the football program is not in that horrible shape. We now have better coordinators and the talent level is improved from the DMac days.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
For me the ranking goes:

1. Christy Johnson (Women's VB) - a shocking hire
2. Lifetime Contract for Bill F (Women's BB) - no brainer
3. Cael Sanderson (Wrestling) - another no brainer
4. Gene Chizik (Football) - all criticism aside
5. Wally Burnham (FB DC) - I rank him higher than PR because of his proven success, he could actually become a D1 football coach somewhere with his resume.
6. Paul Rhoads (Football) - a true Cyclone
7. Tom Herman (FB OC) - I don't know how we got an OC of his calibre to come to Iowa State
8. Greg McD (Mens BB) - It seemed like a good hire at the time, not sure how he will stick around with another mediocre season next year.

You need to drop #1 and #2. JP didn't hire them, they were here when he arrived.

cy1225

Oct 6, 2007
Remove #1, #2, and #3.

Fennelly was allredy at ISU as was Cael (his hire was in the works and it was done before Pollard enterd the picture).
Christy was hired by previous administration.

Reactions: CyBobby

superman_101680

Oct 30, 2006
SW Michigan
Judas Priest! How many times does someone need to explain that JP did NOT hire the VB coach?

As others have stated, knock the first 3 off. JP had nothing to do with their hires.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
chizik was a bad gameday coach, and would not have won iowa state a big 12 north title anytime...

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Really??? There was a contract in place naming Cael as the head wrestling coach before ADJP came to ISU? I did not know that...:confused:

Oh, of course there was. Because making Cael coach was a smart move, and JP is just a bumbling arrogant idiot hell bent on destroying ISU athletics, who has done nothing right, right Monty? :jimlad:

Help Support Us

Become a patron