Rank the Hires by JP administration/era

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Oh, of course there was. Because making Cael coach was a smart move, and JP is just a bumbling arrogant idiot hell bent on destroying ISU athletics, who has done nothing right, right Monty? :jimlad:

I have nothing against Pollard as a person and have never directed any personal insults toward him as you imply. I am sure he is a good person who wants the best for ISU. I am sure you are also, as well as most everyone on this board. But most everyone on this board should not be our athletic director. And neither should Jamie. His results speak for themselves.

Last edited:

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Yeaa Monty...

I echo your sentiment, but I would add that
1. I don't want to be A.D.
2. Pollard is an ignorant fool

Perhaps you are wiser in not hurling insults.

CC
ISU Alum 1990

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
So perhaps we need to recharacterize the list.

"The worst moves of Jamie Pollard."

1. agreeing to hire much of Gene Chizik's football staff (as long as we're counting staff)
2. Firing Dan McCarney
3. Hiring Gene Chizik
4. Hiring Greg McDermott
5. Firing Wayne Morgan before any real accusations were discovered. *edit

CC
ISU Alum 1990

Last edited by a moderator:

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
I have nothing against Pollard as a person and have never directed any personal insults toward him as you imply. I am sure he is a good person who wants the best for ISU. I am sure you are also, as well as most everyone on this board. But most everyone on this board should not be our athletic director. And neither should Jamie. His results speak for themselves.

Yeaa Monty...

I echo your sentiment, but I would add that
1. I don't want to be A.D.
2. Pollard is an ignorant fool

Perhaps you are wiser in not hurling insults.

CC
ISU Alum 1990

1. agreeing to hire much of Gene Chizik's football staff (as long as we're counting staff)
2. Firing Dan McCarney
3. Hiring Gene Chizik
4. Hiring Greg McDermott
5. Firing Wayne Morgan before any real accusations were discovered *edit

CC
ISU Alum 1990

I guess increasing the budget from 28 million to 42 million means nothing Monty. Or that almost everybody is in love with his plans for improving the facilities. Have you ever once thought about what the man is doing for the future of Iowa State athletics? Good God. I'm getting tired of these moronic posts. It's beginning to seem that nobody has an eye past tomorrow.

These two posters are incredibly short sighted and have no vision for the future. Why do you have to have an agenda when you come on here and post? Your blatant hate is getting very old and repetitive. Post something with substance next time you decide to grace us with your presence of habitual hate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
I think it's BS some of the Monday Morning QB'ing on Pollard. The guy is an aggressive AD and exactly what ISU needs. He stands up to the conference and understands it's all about money. Outside of Gene Smith (which is a very high bar), he is the best we have had during my time as an ISU fan.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA

And I suppose the economy and Iraq war are all Obama's fault, since the actions of the previous administration have nothing to do with the current situation.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

2. Firing Dan McCarney
3. Hiring Gene Chizik
4. Hiring Greg McDermott
5. Firing Wayne Morgan before any real accusations were discovered. *edit

CC
ISU Alum 1990

So what would you have prefered?

1. Telling Gene to hire someone else and ticking off the guy you just hired as coach?
2. Did you want McCarney and both of his awesome coordinators around until DMac decided to retire? I belive I heard that Mac was given the option to hire some new and better assistants and he decided to resign instead. It seemed obvious to me that the Mac regime had entered another 4 year rebuilding plan full of JuCo bandaids and blown opportunities. I would have supported keeping Mac if he had decided to hire some aggresive young coordinator like Tom Herman and not stuck with his ultra conservative approach. Mac was a great motivator and ambasador, but he was not the brightest or best strategic coach around. What would you have done in JPs situation?
3. At the time, the Chiz was the hottest up and coming coordinator out there and it was a big deal for ISU to get him. He turned out not to be a very good gameday coach and his dependence on superior talent in his earilier jobs made him ill-equiped to rebuild at ISU. Who would you have hired that would have ignited the enthusiasm of the fanbase and turned us around in year one?
4. I don't think GMac is a bad coach at all. Everyone jumped ship when Morgan left which sets rebuilding back even further. The players he inherited were in no way able to run his system. I think the foundation is being laid for future teams to succeed. Again, who would you have hired or what would you prefer GMac do?
5. Do you think Morgan was a great coach? I think the main reason he got the job in the first place was to keep Stinson and Blaylock in the fold. He had some success with the team that Larry built, but soon after showed that his team had absolutely no fundamentals and were totally exposed by their competition. How good would ISU be under Morgan right now?

It is really fun and easy to jump in and say that so and so stinks and they aren't doing it right. If you have some idea what they should do, then let us know.

*END RANT*

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
chizik should be no.1, since he thought of himself as the world's greatest football nerd.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
At the time of the hire, Chizik was widely regarded as a grand-slam hire. I can't fault JP for that at all, and it would be #1 on my list, especially because football is the motor that makes any athletic department run.
Yur rite Gene Chizik was the hottest assistant football coach in the country. And for the record old Gene Chizik was my choice as our new coach...Boy was I ever wrong about old Cheeze-Dip...dont follow my advice when you hire a new coach!!!!:biglaugh:

If football and b-ball doesn't improve soon Jamie Pollard has to be held "ACCOUNTABLE".....

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa

Your rite on Monty ...You sure as hades wouldnt want me as your athletic director, I wanted to hire Gene Chizik before Jamie ever hired the guy....Bad Idea HUH!!!!

Bad Cybobby Bad Idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:no:

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I think it's BS some of the Monday Morning QB'ing on Pollard. The guy is an aggressive AD and exactly what ISU needs. He stands up to the conference and understands it's all about money. Outside of Gene Smith (which is a very high bar), he is the best we have had during my time as an ISU fan.

ISU does need that from the AD. We also need the AD to hire the right coaches, as the success of our athletic programs and his tenure depend on this, first and foremost. Do you disagree?

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
JP has done a good job with the donors, facilities and budget, but the future always depends on his football and basketball hires. So far those have been a dismal failure but I am optimistic about Rhoads and staff. Regarding Chiz, I thought we could have been more patient and got Brian Kelly, who would have been a much safer and smarter hire. People can say Chiz would have been good but I saw nothing on game day from a coaching standpoint to think he would have ever had much success. Regarding Cael, Bobby Douglas had said he would step aside when Cael wanted the job. Bobby got Cael to ISU and he should get the credit for Cael becoming our head coach.

Reactions: cyfanatic

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Totally agree with all of this. Its tough for me to realize that the talent level has improved though. I think that Kansas, Mizzou, and Nebr are all improving and we might not be improving fast enough.

There was an opportunity to stpe on the throats of the rest of the BigXII North during Macs tenure, but we sat at the same level and did not capitalize. Mac and his staff were not good recruiters and decent seasons on the field did not bring in the talent they should have. Thus, we relied to heavily on JuCo transfers, some of which were great, some stunk. Better coordinators could have made the difference with Mac, but he wanted to stay conservative. Now we are trying to catch up to the rest of the North again.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
I guess increasing the budget from 28 million to 42 million means nothing Monty.

The budget in NOT 42 million. Pollard has thrown that number out, but the actual budget is $35 million. If you want facts, check the Board of Regent's financial statements. If you want BS, listen to Pollard.

Reactions: CyBobby

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Totally agree with all of this. Its tough for me to realize that the talent level has improved though. I think that Kansas, Mizzou, and Nebr are all improving and we might not be improving fast enough.

The argument that the talent level is improving is laughable. Teams don't go from 4 wins to 3 wins to 2 wins in 3 successive years with improving talent. Especially when the schedule got easier in the 2-win year.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
The budget in NOT 42 million. Pollard has thrown that number out, but the actual budget is $35 million. If you want facts, check the Board of Regent's financial statements. If you want BS, listen to Pollard.

Really? Then why do we forecast ~$42,000,000 here? (taken from Board of Regents papers)

jakemcilroy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
BVDV killed it for ISU by hiring Morgan and promoting friction between coaches in the athletic program. Nobody liked each other and it wasn't a healthy environment. By hiring Morgan as the 9th choice he put JP (eventually down the road) in a no-win position by having to be the person to fire Morgan (who would have been fired at some point for something). Then all players leave. Nobody gets it...we were ROCK BOTTOM when Mac got hired, worst job in the country, given all the player defections.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
So what would you have prefered?

1. Telling Gene to hire someone else and ticking off the guy you just hired as coach?

Not giving Gene total autonomy for hiring assistants. A few well placed questions can normally keep someone from making stupid decisions. Of course, this means that you have to have some experience at AD.

2. Did you want McCarney and both of his awesome coordinators around until DMac decided to retire? I belive I heard that Mac was given the option to hire some new and better assistants and he decided to resign instead. It seemed obvious to me that the Mac regime had entered another 4 year rebuilding plan full of JuCo bandaids and blown opportunities. I would have supported keeping Mac if he had decided to hire some aggresive young coordinator like Tom Herman and not stuck with his ultra conservative approach. Mac was a great motivator and ambasador, but he was not the brightest or best strategic coach around. What would you have done in JPs situation?

I was looking for Coach Mac to be allowed to stay to the end of his contract. Actually, Mac was and continues to be a good recruiter. But as Chizik found out, its tougher than usual to recruit to ISU. Mac's gameday was like sh*t. And yes, I would have dumped his good for nothing defensive coordinator long ago, and not hired Terry Allen.

3. <snip> Who would you have hired that would have ignited the enthusiasm of the fanbase and turned us around in year one?

I would have tried to hire Gary Patterson, of TCU. (and maybe they tried). Who knows what he would have done for the fan base, but I think he would have the program going at least as well as Mac had it going since 2000.

4. I don't think GMac is a bad coach at all. Everyone jumped ship when Morgan left which sets rebuilding back even further. The players he inherited were in no way able to run his system. I think the foundation is being laid for future teams to succeed. Again, who would you have hired or what would you prefer GMac do?

5. Do you think Morgan was a great coach? I think the main reason he got the job in the first place was to keep Stinson and Blaylock in the fold. He had some success with the team that Larry built, but soon after showed that his team had absolutely no fundamentals and were totally exposed by their competition. How good would ISU be under Morgan right now?

GM is not a great division 1A coach.
The offering of the basketball coaching job to the Wyoming coach instead of placing Eustachy on sabbatical and making Morgan an Interim was stupid. After the Wyoming coach backed out, not immediately naming Morgan as head coach was perceived as a racist move by many outside of ISU.
I had low expectations for Morgan, but getting into the NIT and going to the final four of the NIT was a pleasant surprise. Going to the NCAA the next season was also a great surprise. Having Morgan's third season fall off the map really was no surprise since it was fairly obvious that Stinson and Blaylock (and a couple of others) had grown super-egos. That they all left when Morgan was fired should have not been a surprise. I would have let Morgan coach for another season, or until the NCAA started putting more pressure on ISU about Morgan's alleged recruiting abnormalities. Its pretty clear that Morgan did nothing more than what a Rick Pitino has done to find a few "diamond in the rough" recruits, so I don't know why there was so much fuss.

BTW- wasn't MOST of Morgan's players people that Morgan recruited? It seems to me that one of the reasons why Eustachy started drinking was because the players he had were so terrible. That's why he hired Morgan, because Morgan was an excellent recruiter. So they had four or five Morgan recruits and the white dairy farmer center who I am surprised didn't get a tryout in the NBA.

Tough situations handled poorly by an inexperienced Athletic Director. He's had enough breaks. Time to drop the hammer.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron