Misc: Messi joins Inter Miami

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I thought this was already announced during the WC back in November?

• Agree
Reactions: tzjung

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The MLS, where the worlds soccer super stars go to retire.

This is still a good get. The Saudis and Chinese are paying the pensioner stars hundreds of millions. Messi will sell out every stadium he plays in.

It’s amazing to me my kid that doesn’t even really like soccer that much is always coming home from school and being like “so and so said Ronaldo is better than Messi, what is he even talking about?”

When I try and tell him Haaling is the best player in the world he’s like “who?”.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
The MLS, where the worlds soccer super stars go to retire.

Went to a Sporting KC game and the atmosphere was off the charts. It was much more fun than frankly going to a football or basketball game because you didn't have to stop every few minutes for commercial breaks. I wonder what it would take to really take the sport off. The only thing I can think of is I didn't know who any of the players were.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Went to a Sporting KC game and the atmosphere was off the charts. It was much more fun than frankly going to a football or basketball game because you didn't have to stop every few minutes for commercial breaks. I wonder what it would take to really take the sport off. The only thing I can think of is I didn't know who any of the players were.
They need better players, but the better players play in other leagues, until they're 35 or so at least. I went to a Sporting KC game several years ago and it was amazing as you said, but the actual soccer is not great. I'd imagine it's trending up though, the product is probably quite a bit better than it was say 10 years ago.

Reactions: LindenCy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

It’s hard to make the already biggest sport in the world “take off”. But seriously in answer to your question the answer is “time”.

Reactions: mj4cy

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

As Gunner said, it'll probably be time. I think less families are allowing their children play football due to the head injury risk. So that'll reallocate players to sports like soccer.

There is also an alpha male issue with the sport. When I played growing up, every now and then some car would drive by and yell "field fairies" at us while practicing. So as that goes away too, you will have less peer pressure.

Reactions: Nor'easter

TrailCy

Mar 3, 2021
We go to a bunch of MLS games and the atmosphere is much better than baseball., The constant chamting and drumming and nonstop running is much more exciting to watch. Iowa State football games are still my favorite, but the anticipationg of a goal in soccer is what makes it fun. Yiou never know when it's going to happen.

I've never understood why baseball doesn't have chanting and music and whatnot through the whole game.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
As Gunner said, it'll probably be time. I think less families are allowing their children play football due to the head injury risk. So that'll reallocate players to sports like soccer.

There is also an alpha male issue with the sport. When I played growing up, every now and then some car would drive by and yell "field fairies" at us while practicing. So as that goes away too, you will have less peer pressure.

Yep, we used to get “grass fairies”. The people that talked the most **** were usually the baseball players, which is absolutely hilarious.

• Agree
Reactions: SCNCY

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Tickets in St Louis are already off the charts when they play. Luckily you can get tickets to Chicago match since they are going to play it in Soldier Field. So I am going to go to that one.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Sporting KC games are a blast. I remember going to a Wizards game in Arrowhead and being bored out of my mind. Completely different with the new stadium. Think I've been to about 20 games the past 8 years.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
the quality definitely can be much better. Unfortunately the League doesn't have any plans on how to "grow" the league other than signing "DPs" who sometimes are not good enough or not the right players.

When J-League was founded, the idea was to grow soccer in Japan, elevating the sports to the next level by signing players who can also be mentors. Hence, it was Zico, Pierre Littbarski, Ivan Hasek, Ramon Diaz, etc. They also consciously tend to sign "brazilian" foreign players as their 2nd tier foreign players (I believe culture-wise it helps too because there's a lot of Japanese / Japanese-Brazilian community in Brazil).

MLS strategy has been quite haphazard, probably closer to Chinese Super League when teams raced to sign expensive foreign players who just went there for money. Some MLS teams have been having reasonable strategy by signing the right players instead of just spending on big names.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Is he leaving PSG right now or not until after their Aug 5th match?

Miami plays at St Louis in the middle of July and at Chicago early October. Those are the only two games in the midwest.