Misc: Messi joins Inter Miami

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
Is he leaving PSG right now or not until after their Aug 5th match?

Miami plays at St Louis in the middle of July and at Chicago early October. Those are the only two games in the midwest.
From another article...The St Louis game would be iffy, but Chicago should be safe.

Messi, whose contract with Paris Saint-Germain officially expires at the end of June, could debut for Miami in either July or August — and would have the unenviable task of lifting a last-place, frequently dysfunctional franchise to the playoffs.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclonespiker33

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
They need better players, but the better players play in other leagues, until they're 35 or so at least. I went to a Sporting KC game several years ago and it was amazing as you said, but the actual soccer is not great. I'd imagine it's trending up though, the product is probably quite a bit better than it was say 10 years ago.
The quality is miles ahead of 10 years ago

• Optimistic
Reactions: pulse and VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Sporting KC games are a blast. I remember going to a Wizards game in Arrowhead and being bored out of my mind. Completely different with the new stadium. Think I've been to about 20 games the past 8 years.
Minnesota United has a great stadium and a fun atmosphere and not bad soccer. It probably isn't the best for taking in your first game because they are a strong defensive team but struggle finishing so they have a lot of 1-0, 1-1 and 2-1 games. Not the huge scoring output of some of the high flying offensive clubs. But it still is a lot of fun to watch.

There is also now a pre-professional women's league and the Twin Cities has a team. Play started last year and the Aurora did really well. They might even be better this year. Four games in and they have outscored their opponents 20-0 and have already "ten-runned" one team.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Fabrizio Romano confirms. It's done.

MLS is already playing since they're a summer league, wonder how soon he starts.
Timing is good for this if they can get him there soon. They have a game Saturday but then are off for two weeks. A great opportunity to integrate him.

If they are to have any chance of making the playoffs he better get to work soon. They are 16 games in with 20 to go. The good news is despite being in last place in the East they are only 6 points out of a play in game. It is crazy looking at their record. They have 5 wins, 11 losses and zero draws. If they had managed to salvage a single point out of just a few of those losses they would be right in the hunt. Their goal differential with 11 losses is only -6.

Reactions: ISUcyclones11

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The quality is miles ahead of 10 years ago

Columbus only recently got their 2-League set-up going so they have a place to bring their academy players up to a different level and get them time instead of end of season/injury crisis inclusions in the main team.

It’s truly just a matter of time. It takes a lot of time, money, and infrastructure to build up a soccer club. The EPL teams didn’t just magically appear in the late 19th century with 60k all seater stadiums, all inclusive training centers, U15 squads, and in-house coaching certifications.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUCY23

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
As Gunner said, it'll probably be time. I think less families are allowing their children play football due to the head injury risk. So that'll reallocate players to sports like soccer.

There is also an alpha male issue with the sport. When I played growing up, every now and then some car would drive by and yell "field fairies" at us while practicing. So as that goes away too, you will have less peer pressure.

100% I can remember classmates' Dad calling us who played soccer "lawn fairies" and would say things like "oh you have to go to sucker practice?". Also can't forget "friends don't let friends play soccer."

I think now at my kid's school soccer is much more prevalent than football.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Columbus only recently got their 2-League set-up going so they have a place to bring their academy players up to a different level and get them time instead of end of season/injury crisis inclusions in the main team.

It’s truly just a matter of time. It takes a lot of time, money, and infrastructure to build up a soccer club. The EPL teams didn’t just magically appear in the late 19th century with 60k all seater stadiums, all inclusive training centers, U15 squads, and in-house coaching certifications.
Yeah, MNUFC2 is only a couple of years old. While their academy is quite a bit older they are just now finally starting to see homegrown players appear on the first team on a limited basis. Homegrown players can make such a big difference in the long term.

Daughter was giddy a month or so ago when a friend of hers scored a goal for the second team. He was the MLS Next performer of the week.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

(563)

Apr 5, 2022
Went to a Sporting KC game and the atmosphere was off the charts. It was much more fun than frankly going to a football or basketball game because you didn't have to stop every few minutes for commercial breaks. I wonder what it would take to really take the sport off. The only thing I can think of is I didn't know who any of the players were.
I grew up in small town Iowa where soccer was no where to be found. Knew some of the girls on the Iowa State team while I was there and went to most of the home games for a few years and my oldest child is also just getting into soccer so I’ve grown to understand and appreciate the game a little more. As an outsider I can tell you what would make it more intriguing to me and maybe more Americans:

1. Get rid of ties. The only other professional sports league in this country that I can think of that allows ties is the NFL and fans hate it.

2. Eliminate offsides. This rule feels like if they outlawed fast break lay-ups in basketball or blown coverage in football.

Also not a huge fan of how they run the clock but I can look past it.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I grew up in small town Iowa where soccer was no where to be found. Knew some of the girls on the Iowa State team while I was there and went to most of the home games for a few years and my oldest child is also just getting into soccer so I’ve grown to understand and appreciate the game a little more. As an outsider I can tell you what would make it more intriguing to me and maybe more Americans:

1. Get rid of ties. The only other professional sports league in this country that I can think of that allows ties is the NFL and fans hate it.

2. Eliminate offsides. This rule feels like if they outlawed fast break lay-ups in basketball or blown coverage in football.

I could foresee an eventuality where they eliminated draws in MLS but it is doubtful. There is no way in god's green earth they would ever eliminate offsides. It is an integral part of the game and while confusing to understand the game would be a mess without it. It isn't like man to man defense is ever (well very, very rarely at least) used.

Why aren't we calling for elimination of offsides in football and hockey? Because the game wouldn't be the same with players just hanging around in scoring position without having to earn that position, that's why.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I could foresee an eventuality where they eliminated draws in MLS but it is doubtful. There is no way in god's green earth they would ever eliminate offsides. It is an integral part of the game and while confusing to understand the game would be a mess without it. It isn't like man to man defense is ever (well very, very rarely at least) used.

Why aren't we calling for elimination of offsides in football and hockey? Because the game wouldn't be the same with players just hanging around in scoring position without having to earn that position, that's why.
I'd be perfectly fine with the elimination of offsides in hockey. I think it's important in soccer.

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA

Those are 2 things that are not happening ever

Reactions: legi and LindenCy

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I'd be perfectly fine with the elimination of offsides in hockey. I think it's important in soccer.
I actually always wanted a soccer league to do a trial like what hockey does with offside where there is a zone and once the ball is inside that zone there is no offside. Like the final third on each side you can’t have offsides. If you get burned or let a guy behind you in the final third that’s a you problem.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
MLS needs to become a promotion/relegation league in order to be watchable, imo
This confuses me. MLS is unwatchable because there are some teams that are better or worse than other teams? In either scenario aren't there games where two teams from the top third of the league match-up? Aren't those games watchable?

• Agree
Reactions: JD720

(563)

Apr 5, 2022

No comment on hockey, I’ve hardly ever watched it. I’m not sure I agree that offsides in football and soccer are the same.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I actually always wanted a soccer league to do a trial like what hockey does with offside where there is a zone and once the ball is inside that zone there is no offside. Like the final third on each side you can’t have offsides. If you get burned or let a guy behind you in the final third that’s a you problem.
On an unrelated note it amazes me some parents have watched their kid play soccer for a decade and still don't know the rules, especially offside.

If a player stays behind the ball it doesn't matter where the second defender is, they are not offside so it doesn't eliminate a break as someone suggested.

Reactions: tzjung and jctisu

(563)

Apr 5, 2022
I’m genuinely curious why it’s important in soccer. From what I’ve read it seems people think it would cause players to just hang back by the goal, but if that’s the case, why doesn’t that happen in basketball? It would certainly make the game different but would it make the game worse? Idk, I think that may depend on what you like about the sport.