Misc: Messi joins Inter Miami

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Relegation and promotion system makes soccer more fun. It won’t happen in America any time soon because MLS is what it is today because team owners dumped a bunch of money into it, which I understand as they don’t want to risk losing money. However, relegation system incentivizes competition way more and allows for more areas of the country to have a pro team, which ultimately would help the sport grow.

Regarding Messi. Dude is absolutely gonna dominate at the MLS level.

Most fans of for example PL football don’t give a **** about promotion/relegation because the majority of people support Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, etc. I’m an Arsenal fan, there’s nothing exciting or not exciting about promotion/relegation because I don’t even think about it because it doesn’t affect my club.

• Disagree
Reactions: cyguy9320

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Which could be a good thing for MLS in the long run? If your an aging star you can come here, make bank and feel like a 21 year old again scoring at will.
I was under the impression that the MLS already carried the reputation of being a retirement league prior to this...

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Most fans of for example PL football don’t give a **** about promotion/relegation because the majority of people support Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, etc. I’m an Arsenal fan, there’s nothing exciting or not exciting about promotion/relegation because I don’t even think about it because it doesn’t affect my club.
How do we know that most fans don't care?
I think with the betting culture that keeps on growing, the relegation battle is actually pretty interesting for a lot of people. I personally am interested in seeing relegation battle in the leagues where the champs are predictable (for example in Bundesliga or in La Liga)

Reactions: cyguy9320

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
How do we know that most fans don't care?
I think with the betting culture that keeps on growing, the relegation battle is actually pretty interesting for a lot of people. I personally am interested in seeing relegation battle in the leagues where the champs are predictable (for example in Bundesliga or in La Liga)

What club do you support?

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
What club do you support?
I think I call myself soccer fan instead of a team fan just because I enjoy watching different teams and different leagues - I support several teams for different reasons that don't make sense.
When I grew up, we got 1 game on TV every week and it was not always Liverpool, Arsenal, Man United. It could be Coventry (my 2nd English team), Luton, QPR, Forest, Notts County, etc.
FA Cup used to be HUGE so there was affinity when Wrexham knocked Arsenal out, Wimbledon won the Cup so I have certain degree of affinity not towards a team but the entire league as a whole.
Same with Serie A - we always didn't get Milan and Juventus. It could be Foggia, Bari, Verona, Genoa, Cesena, Lecce, etc.
Some of these teams are not in the top tier anymore and when they were back, it was always fun to see how they did and that sometimes involving relegation battle.

Reactions: NATEizKING

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think I call myself soccer fan instead of a team fan just because I enjoy watching different teams and different leagues - I support several teams for different reasons that don't make sense.
When I grew up, we got 1 game on TV every week and it was not always Liverpool, Arsenal, Man United. It could be Coventry (my 2nd English team), Luton, QPR, Forest, Notts County, etc.
FA Cup used to be HUGE so there was affinity when Wrexham knocked Arsenal out, Wimbledon won the Cup so I have certain degree of affinity not towards a team but the entire league as a whole.
Same with Serie A - we always didn't get Milan and Juventus. It could be Foggia, Bari, Verona, Genoa, Cesena, Lecce, etc.
Some of these teams are not in the top tier anymore and when they were back, it was always fun to see how they did and that sometimes involving relegation battle.

That’s cool. I love that story, but the numbers don’t lie. These clubs don’t have the massive support they have because they are in relegation battles. They have the support because they are proven winners and they compete for titles and champions league spots, the players all play for their national teams. That’s just the facts.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
That’s cool. I love that story, but the numbers don’t lie. These clubs don’t have the massive support they have because they are in relegation battles. They have the support because they are proven winners and they compete for titles and champions league spots, the players all play for their national teams. That’s just the facts.
SEC! SEC!

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
9 goals in 6 games. I realize it's MLS and not Premier or Bundesliga, but holy cow.

Inter Miami was a terrible squad before he came along.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron