Lexi Donarski entering transfer portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
I sure as hell hope not to your bolded. Their fans will be insufferable for a decade if that happens. I want Louisville to take them out tomorrow. I don't want them to make the final four.
True. But most of us don't really give a rip about women's hoops if we are honest. Most of their fans really don't either. It's kind of like when Iowa wins a natty in wrestling, it's like meh, who really cares.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I feel her Hy-Vee market value will always exist because of her Iowa roots and won't diminish if she ends up in New York or LA, etc.

In fact going to a major market just expands her marketing value in the midwest. And it would jump from HyVee's perspective if she goes to another HyVee market.
Harrison Barnes is still on Hy-Vee cereal boxes and I have no idea where he plays in the NBA, and my guess is most people have no idea what team he plays for in the NBA, yet people remember him in Iowa because he played basketball in Ames.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
But can she make more in endorsements as a WNBA player.

If she goes WNBA she can keep her HyVee or other local sponsorship deals. Let's say she gets drafted to a major metro, there will be sponsorship opportunities there. On top of that why wouldn't Nike, Adidas, Under Armour, etc. make Clark the face of a women's shoe?

IMO it comes down to what she wants her legacy to be at Iowa. Is she satisfied with a Elite 8, Final 4, National Championship?
Would think she would only go WNBA if they win the Natl. Championship. And maybe not even then. The brackets have been falling for them quite nicely. And yes, they can beat S.Carolina just because SCar has never had to face a player 'quite like her' before.

TXHawk

Sep 19, 2011
I watched an interview with her, NIL won't factor into her decision of staying for the extra season or not. Her NIL deals go with her she said and will keep growing whatever she decides. She loves playing college basketball and wants to help grow the game, who knows she might get invited to the Olympic trials or camps.

While the WNBA has a LONG way to go, but they've been growing and expanding their income streams and are poised for more growth with the amount of talent like Clark, Bueckers,, etc., that are coming up.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Don't loop us all in with you. Some of us true basketball fans find the women to be very skilled!
That's why I said "most." And I said nothing about their skill level. The point is, if someone did a poll about what Cyclone fans want most between a men's final four, a college football playoff appearance, or a women's final four, the women's final four would come in dead last by a mile. And that's why it doesn't bother us much if the Iowa women go to the final four.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Harrison Barnes is still on Hy-Vee cereal boxes and I have no idea where he plays in the NBA, and my guess is most people have no idea what team he plays for in the NBA, yet people remember him in Iowa because he played basketball in Ames.
People buy their cereal because it's cheaper, not who is on box. Hy Vee is getting something else out of the deal.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
That's why I said "most." And I said nothing about their skill level. The point is, if someone did a poll about what Cyclone fans want most between a men's final four, a college football playoff appearance, or a women's final four, the women's final four would come in dead last by a mile. And that's why it doesn't bother us much if the Iowa women go to the final four.
Don't keep digging.
Actually, just make it clear you're speaking for yourself.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
They probably printed a million of them thinking they would fly off the shelf. Still haven't gotten rid of them.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Kings...

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Would think she would only go WNBA if they win the Natl. Championship. And maybe not even then. The brackets have been falling for them quite nicely. And yes, they can beat S.Carolina just because SCar has never had to face a player 'quite like her' before.
Clark can't go to the WNBA after this season. The WNBA requires domestic draft entrants to be graduated from college, 4 years removed from high school, or turn 22 years old in the draft year.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017
I don't know about that, but the staff didn't develop Lexi in a way that maximized her impact. She has high-level offensive skill, and we decided to make her a defensive stopper because she is the best athlete on the roster.
You're right, but as other posters have pointed out, Ashley will be gone next year. If anyone was going to become the next go-to offensive player it was Lexi. I have to think this is deeper than not getting enough offensive attention.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
You're right, but as other posters have pointed out, Ashley will be gone next year. If anyone was going to become the next go-to offensive player it was Lexi. I have to think this is deeper than not getting enough offensive attention.
The development route Lexi desires might have nothing to do with wanting to be the go-to offensive option. She might want to be point guard (a teams primary ball handler) to enhance her WNBA development.

I feel unless Lexi or Bill discuss publicly why she transferred, we will never know. There are a lot of reason athletes and non-student athletes choose to transfer schools.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
The development route Lexi desires might have nothing to do with wanting to be the go-to offensive option. She might want to be point guard (a teams primary ball handler) to enhance her WNBA development.

I feel unless Lexi or Bill discuss publicly why she transferred, we will never know. There are a lot of reason athletes and non-student athletes choose to transfer schools.
There have been a lot of times where things may have gone better if she had been the point gaurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron