Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
The story below really causes me to pause. The family is very close to TJ and others at ISU and she committed in 8th grade. It can't be easy to leave. If you went to college, imagine leaving everything to go elsewhere. Add being part of a team and doing it.

Could have left for NIL last year if it's a cash grab. Add in her ESPN interview post Big12 title where she couldn't appear happier. The whole thing is very weird.

Looked at the top 25 rankings at year-end. To really be a guaranteed starter at guard next year the options are limited to Stanford, Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma and Iowa.
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...i-bill-fennelly-big-12-conference/2567784001/
Paid link?

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
If Donarski wants to stay in/near the Midwest, there are a number of good Big Ten teams that will have openings in the backcourt:
-Indiana
-Michigan
-Maryland
-Ohio State

Illinois and Purdue are also outside options. They haven't been great in the past few years, but both have new coaches who got back to the NCAA tournament this year, so headed in the right direction. Maybe even Minnesota considering they already have some talented young players with a newly hired coach who has a proven record of success.

If she's looking nationally, I think she'd slot in perfectly at a number of quality Pac 12 or ACC teams. Utah and Louisville come immediately to mind.
Illinois is getting better and beat Iowa this year. The Illini head coach is from Clinton, Iowa.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Won't she get endorsements in the WNBA in addition to her salary?

Sure, but not more IMHO. WNBA profiles aren't as national as college ball. I live only a few miles from where the Lynx play and I have to say college ball gets way more press and following nationally than the WNBA. Hell, who even knows who the WNBA MVP was last year, or for that matter who won it all? Clark is on TV way more nationally at Iowa than she would be playing for any WNBA team. For example, the Minnesota Lynx are currently scheduled to be on ESPN only twice this summer.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
CC should stay in school and collect millions She’ll use every second of her eligibility which makes EIU even more unbearable. “Gustafson will be a pro for 10 years” was the Howk kool aid drinkers opinions. Felt like Quint “ya idiots ain’t you watching in”. Big, slow she was gone in NY minute.

Unluckily this is the correct answer.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Salary caps. The top rookie won't even make $100k. Team cap is only $1.4M for 2023. Tyrese Haliburton makes 3 times as much as a WNBA team has to spend in a year. She's making more in endorsements now than she'll ever earn in the WNBA.
But can she make more in endorsements as a WNBA player.

If she goes WNBA she can keep her HyVee or other local sponsorship deals. Let's say she gets drafted to a major metro, there will be sponsorship opportunities there. On top of that why wouldn't Nike, Adidas, Under Armour, etc. make Clark the face of a women's shoe?

IMO it comes down to what she wants her legacy to be at Iowa. Is she satisfied with a Elite 8, Final 4, National Championship?

Reactions: TXHawk

Junejax

Mar 2, 2013
If Donarski wants to stay in/near the Midwest, there are a number of good Big Ten teams that will have openings in the backcourt:
-Indiana
-Michigan
-Maryland
-Ohio State

Illinois and Purdue are also outside options. They haven't been great in the past few years, but both have new coaches who got back to the NCAA tournament this year, so headed in the right direction. Maybe even Minnesota considering they already have some talented young players with a newly hired coach who has a proven record of success.

If she's looking nationally, I think she'd slot in perfectly at a number of quality Pac 12 or ACC teams. Utah and Louisville come immediately to mind.
Great post. Indiana and Louisville are two that I was thinking. Positive program vibes, room on the roster. Jeff Walz is showing what he can do with the transfer portal at Louisville and is pretty universally respected. PAC 12 could give a completely new change of scenery, if that’s a priority.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Sure, but not more IMHO. WNBA profiles aren't as national as college ball. I live only a few miles from where the Lynx play and I have to say college ball gets way more press and following nationally than the WNBA. Hell, who even knows who the WNBA MVP was last year, or for that matter who won it all? Clark is on TV way more nationally at Iowa than she would be playing for any WNBA team. For example, the Minnesota Lynx are currently scheduled to be on ESPN only twice this summer.
The other aspect of this is overseas play. Griner was playing in Russia because there is a ton more money to be made overseas playing women's basketball. If Caitlin is OK spending time overseas, then the money will be there as a pro.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines

If she goes WNBA she can keep her HyVee or other local sponsorship deals. Let's say she gets drafted to a major metro, there will be sponsorship opportunities there. On top of that why wouldn't Nike, Adidas, Under Armour, etc. make Clark the face of a women's shoe?

IMO it comes down to what she wants her legacy to be at Iowa. Is she satisfied with a Elite 8, Final 4, National Championship?
I really don't think she would make more in endorsements as a WNBA player. Hardly anyone watches or cares about the WNBA. Only one team averaged more than 8,000 fans per game. The lowest attended team only averaged a little over 1,000 fans per game. Women's college basketball fans are far more passionate than WNBA fans. Clark is way more marketable as one of the faces of women's college basketball than in the WNBA.

ChiClone22

Mar 19, 2022
-Indiana
-Michigan
-Maryland
-Ohio State

With Holmes returning (Indiana All American center) and Berger gone, Indiana would be a place where Donarski would fit in perfect (her three point and defensive skills)and be able to showcase her leadership and point guard skills. Indiana is a top 10 team and was a number 1 regional seed this year before getting upset.

While it hate to see Lexi elsewhere, it would be fun to watch her help Indiana beat Iowa.

Reactions: WBBfan15

savepolarbears

Dec 4, 2013
With Holmes returning (Indiana All American center) and Berger gone, Indiana would be a place where Donarski would fit in perfect (her three point and defensive skills)and be able to showcase her leadership and point guard skills. Indiana is a top 10 team and was a number 1 regional seed this year before getting upset.

While it hate to see Lexi elsewhere, it would be fun to watch her help Indiana beat Iowa.
A good P5 situation might be best, but I was wondering about getting paired with one or two (post, wing) portal players and go down to a fallen mid-major power like Green Bay. Spend the first half of the season honing your ‘future’ role and then see how many games you can win through the tournaments.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston

That only works in a Hy-Vee market.. so maybe the Fever or Lynx. And even then, as others have mentioned, nobody really cares about WNBA. She's worth a lot more to HyVee here in Iowa.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I f your not recruiting dirty your probably coaching a 4th grade team at the local Y.
You don't think those 4th grade coaches aren't trying to get the parent of the prodigies to be their assistant coach.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
That only works in a Hy-Vee market.. so maybe the Fever or Lynx. And even then, as others have mentioned, nobody really cares about WNBA. She's worth a lot more to HyVee here in Iowa.
I feel her Hy-Vee market value will always exist because of her Iowa roots and won't diminish if she ends up in New York or LA, etc.

In fact going to a major market just expands her marketing value in the midwest. And it would jump from HyVee's perspective if she goes to another HyVee market.

Status
Not open for further replies.