Lexi Donarski entering transfer portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Google is your friend. Found the number on multiple sites including ESPN. And the 1 million mark was prior to her big Nike deal.

If true, then she will go wnba soon, as in this year. She won't risk injury. She is just what the wnba wants and needs. A lady ( and non center) that plays like a man. She will be well compensated.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
If true, then she will go wnba soon, as in this year. She won't risk injury. She is just what the wnba wants and needs. A lady ( and non center) that plays like a man. She will be well compensated.

Salary caps. The top rookie won't even make $100k. Team cap is only $1.4M for 2023. Tyrese Haliburton makes 3 times as much as a WNBA team has to spend in a year. She's making more in endorsements now than she'll ever earn in the WNBA.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Friday afternoon news releases are intended to bury stories. This one probably won't go away, but we may never get the explanation we want.

Until then, I'm cheering for Lexi to find a great spot for her to showcase her talent. And I'm cheering for Iowa State to continue to recruit great athletes like her.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Salary caps. The top rookie won't even make $100k. Team cap is only $1.4M for 2023. Tyrese Haliburton makes 3 times as much as a WNBA team has to spend in a year. She's making more in endorsements now than she'll ever earn in the WNBA.
Also I am not so sure how her skills can be transferable to the WNBA. She wouldn’t get calls that she’s been getting here. She will face faster opponents and the game will not always revolve around her. Look at Kelsey Plum: it takes her several seasons for her to finally achieve her potential. Look at Megan Gustafson: she basically got cut here and there in the WNBA.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Also I am not so sure how her skills can be transferable to the WNBA. She wouldn’t get calls that she’s been getting here. She will face faster opponents and the game will not always revolve around her. Look at Kelsey Plum: it takes her several seasons for her to finally achieve her potential. Look at Megan Gustafson: she basically got cut here and there in the WNBA.
CC should stay in school and collect millions She’ll use every second of her eligibility which makes EIU even more unbearable. “Gustafson will be a pro for 10 years” was the Howk kool aid drinkers opinions. Felt like Quint “ya idiots ain’t you watching in”. Big, slow she was gone in NY minute.

Last edited:

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Yes
Two more years in iowa city.

Reactions: acoustimac

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
2 Elite 8's to none
2 Sweet 16's (or 4 if you want to include the Elite 8 years) to 1
3 Big Ten tournament championships to 1 Big 12
1 Big Ten regular season championship to none
6 of 7 Cy-Hawk games.
Bluder is way more likeable than Bill. I'd much rather have my daughter play for her. I see why Iowa has the momentum and excitement behind them. It's no secret Bill is a nightmare to play for and treats people like ****.

Last edited:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Bluder is way more likeable than Bill. I'd much rather have my daughter play for her. I see why Iowa has the momentum and excitement behind them. It's no secret Bill is a nightmare to play for and treat people like ****.

I actually agree with this. I don't like Bluder that much, but I'd bet she's MUCH better to play for.

• Agree
Reactions: SMP05

Junejax

Mar 2, 2013
CC should stay in school and collect millions She’ll use every second of her eligibility which makes EIU even more unbearable. “Gustafson will be a pro for 10 years” was the Howk kool aid drinkers opinions. Felt like Quint “ya idiots ain’t you watching in”. Big, slow she was gone in NY minute.
Megan Gustafson developed her 3-point shot and found a home with the Phoenix Mercury. She plays her role well and made real contributions to a playoff team when Brittney Griner was not with them. Happy she’ll be back on the roster this year.

Megan is something of a local favorite for her grit and her dog’s social media presence. She plays in Greece during the off-season and posts ridiculously beautiful pics from the coast.

I’m a Cyclone fan but can appreciate the success of a Midwest hooper.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Bluder is way more likeable than Bill. I'd much rather have my daughter play for her. I see why Iowa has the momentum and excitement behind them. It's no secret Bill is a nightmare to play for and treat people like ****.
I first knew Bluder when she was at Drake and I was a professor there. One of the many reasons I despise her is she recruits dirty. Back then she regularly, and falsely, told recruits Fennelly was a homophobe and to avoid ISU. I had several players in class and she was just as tough in practice and games as Bill ever is. Then add to it her constant whining, excuse making, etc. that’s not the example I want my kid learning.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I first knew Bluder when she was at Drake and I was a professor there. One of the many reasons I despise her is she recruits dirty. Back then she regularly, and falsely, told recruits Fennelly was a homophobe and to avoid ISU. I had several players in class and she was just as tough in practice and games as Bill ever is. Then add to it her constant whining, excuse making, etc. that’s not the example I want my kid learning.
Everybody recruits dirty.

savepolarbears

Dec 4, 2013
How about this theory. A WNBA coach tells her than her staying in basketball long term requires more PG skills. Not going to happen at ISU with current coaches and teammates. I think she was a better PG when she arrived than she showed this year. Plausible?

I sure will miss her, her game, her personality. Hope she finds a way to end up staying.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Megan Gustafson developed her 3-point shot and found a home with the Phoenix Mercury. She plays her role well and made real contributions to a playoff team when Brittney Griner was not with them. Happy she’ll be back on the roster this year.

Megan is something of a local favorite for her grit and her dog’s social media presence. She plays in Greece during the off-season and posts ridiculously beautiful pics from the coast.

I’m a Cyclone fan but can appreciate the success of a Midwest hooper.

I was pretty disappointed in the Megan hate here the year she and Bridget were drafted. A number of posters here were downright gleeful when she was first cut from the team drafting her. Was a few years back, at Williams Arena watching the Gophers play Iowa, that I first maybe fully appreciated that she was a darn good college post. And, Gophers actually won that game IIRC.

Acknowledging that somebody other than your fav is a good player and good person doesn't diminish your favorite player or team.

Last edited:

CourtCyd

Mar 24, 2023
The story below really causes me to pause. The family is very close to TJ and others at ISU and she committed in 8th grade. It can't be easy to leave. If you went to college, imagine leaving everything to go elsewhere. Add being part of a team and doing it.

Could have left for NIL last year if it's a cash grab. Add in her ESPN interview post Big12 title where she couldn't appear happier. The whole thing is very weird.

Looked at the top 25 rankings at year-end. To really be a guaranteed starter at guard next year the options are limited to Stanford, Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma and Iowa.
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...i-bill-fennelly-big-12-conference/2567784001/

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
Won't she get endorsements in the WNBA in addition to her salary?

undersized_post

Apr 18, 2021
If Donarski wants to stay in/near the Midwest, there are a number of good Big Ten teams that will have openings in the backcourt:
-Indiana
-Michigan
-Maryland
-Ohio State

Illinois and Purdue are also outside options. They haven't been great in the past few years, but both have new coaches who got back to the NCAA tournament this year, so headed in the right direction. Maybe even Minnesota considering they already have some talented young players with a newly hired coach who has a proven record of success.

If she's looking nationally, I think she'd slot in perfectly at a number of quality Pac 12 or ACC teams. Utah and Louisville come immediately to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron