Lexi Donarski entering transfer portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Don’t think her game has improved, but regressed. Of course it is against the best team in women’s college BB.

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
Lexi may be playing on a more experienced team that has better NCAA tournament potential this year but thus far in this game against #1 South Carolina, her game doesn’t look like it has expanded as I expected North Carolina to help her do (beyond being a good three point shooter).

She isn’t playing any point guard. She isn’t driving to the basket or hitting pull ups mid-range. Expected to see her in a more “free flowing” offense but that hasn’t been the case thus far.

Her defense looks solid as always.

On North Carolina she appears to be the third offensive option behind Kelly and Ustby (who is very impressive).

Wishing her the best but would have been equally excited to see her with the strong freshman at Iowa State this year. Especially, the strong posts and Brown and Bristow on the wings.
Don’t think her game has improved, but regressed. Of course it is against the best team in women’s college BB.
It's only been 8 games but she is averaging fewer points, fewer rebounds, and fewer assists per game while having a lower FG% than in any of her 3 seasons at Iowa State.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Is it known why either of them (Lexi, Fritz) transferred?

My assumption was they wanted to put up WNBA draft numbers and figured they weren't going to do it at Iowa State.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Lexi may be playing on a more experienced team that has better NCAA tournament potential this year but thus far in this game against #1 South Carolina, her game doesn’t look like it has expanded as I expected North Carolina to help her do (beyond being a good three point shooter).

She isn’t playing any point guard. She isn’t driving to the basket or hitting pull ups mid-range. Expected to see her in a more “free flowing” offense but that hasn’t been the case thus far.

Her defense looks solid as always.

On North Carolina she appears to be the third offensive option behind Kelly and Ustby (who is very impressive).

Wishing her the best but would have been equally excited to see her with the strong freshman at Iowa State this year. Especially, the strong posts and Brown and Bristow on the wings.
She's in her 4th year. You don't magically expand your game in 9 months.

Donarski had plenty of offensive opportunity last season. She is what she is -- a great defender and average 3-point shooter with good size and fundamentals.

She would be getting a lot of shots up this season at ISU, but to each their own. I hope she plays well at UNC.

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022

My assumption was they wanted to put up WNBA draft numbers and figured they weren't going to do it at Iowa State.
As far as I know Lexi has stayed quiet about the whole thing while Fritz sorta mumbled something about "playing style" when pressed by the media.

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
I predict lexi will make many amazing moves to the hoop followed by missed layups and that she will turtle in big moments in big games. Just a hunch.

Reactions: David Freshman1982

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Hard to hate on Lexi when you know she was a lifelong Cyclone fan that committed to Iowa State when she was in like 8th grade. I don’t know her reasoning for transferring other than she obviously wasn’t happy. I imagine the decision wasn’t easy. I hope she has a great year.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Hard to hate on Lexi when you know she was a lifelong Cyclone fan that committed to Iowa State when she was in like 8th grade. I don’t know her reasoning for transferring other than she obviously wasn’t happy. I imagine the decision wasn’t easy. I hope she has a great year.

^This.

We see 40 minutes of their life a few times a week in Dec/Jan/Feb and have no proven idea why they transferred. Unhappy is unhappy and not so much the "grass is greener" stuff that get bantered around here ad nauseum along with gleeful observations that they aren't doing well at their new schools.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Moreso than Fritz, I was really, really bummed when Lexi left. She did the "dirty, unglamorous work" for 3 years by guarding the opponent's best player. On her way out, she never spoke ill of ISU - I am a lifelong fan of Lexi Donarski and hope she does well this year. In fact, if we were to play UNC this year, I'd still want her to have a great game (the rest of her teammates could suck in that game) but with Iowa State winning the contest of course.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
You’re not from around here, are you Ross? We do not speak of this at risk of the true believers going apoplectic! Somebody jokingly addressed the issue in the recent Izzi Zingaro departure thread and got so many negative responses he deleted his post! It’s best to let sleeping dogs lie but I personally won’t be getting too attached to the current top recruiting class in ISU WBB history. To quote my second favorite band of all time, “Only the Strong Survive” - REO.

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
You’re not from around here, are you Ross? We do not speak of this at risk of the true believers going apoplectic! Somebody jokingly addressed the issue in the recent Izzi Zingaro departure thread and got so many negative responses he deleted his post! It’s best to let sleeping dogs lie but I personally won’t be getting too attached to the current top recruiting class in ISU WBB history. To quote my second favorite band of all time, “Only the Strong Survive” - REO.

I heard it was cold in Alaska but I didn't believe it so I moved there and now it's cold and I'm gonna cry about it. These players know bill is tough when they sign here. If anyone has seen one ISU women's game they know that Bill loves these girls but he is extremely hard on them. If you are soft don't come here.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
And like clock work you are the guy on the other side of the argument. Maybe you should also give it a rest. All parties have moved on, let's cheer whomever we want and stop trying to figure out why 20 year Olds decided to make a move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron