*** Official #12 IOWA STATE vs Missouri Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Ouch. That is a real shame with WVU, OU and Tech all showing out the conference great, and we decide to **** the bed.

I bet we don't drop more than 2 spots on NET, but that may have cost us a seeding line if we don't balance it out with a nice upset.

But like last year, I think its decently possible that the home teams win almost all the games. Could all go that way except Tech\LSU, but LSU is pretty bad.

Reactions: RonBurgundy

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Jones puts himself in position to score or grab a loose ball, but then his extremely poor hands result in a wild shot or a missed opportunity. I liked his energy early in the season, but it's clear he's outmatched against P6 competition. His role going forward should be limited... focused on defense and rebounds. No need for him to post up anymore.
Does he stick his hands into buttered popcorn before the game starts? His hands are so awful.

Reactions: aauummm

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Jones had 8 boards in 16 minutes to lead the team, 5 of them offensive. 3/7 from the field. Clearly makes some bad plays, but he’s putting himself in position to make them i guess.

• Agree
Reactions: StLouisClone

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Jones puts himself in position to score or grab a loose ball, but then his extremely poor hands result in a wild shot or a missed opportunity. I liked his energy early in the season, but it's clear he's outmatched against P6 competition. His role going forward should be limited... focused on defense and rebounds. No need for him to post up anymore.
Agreed. I get that there's not many other options at the 5, but he's got to at least mitigate some of the negatives while he's in. Teams KNOW that Rob doesn't pass when he catches it in the post, so they let him catch it and bring a late double. Almost all the time it's either a turnover or a shot that may as well be a turnover.

IMO I'd much rather go small with King and Kunc (soon I hope) as the backup 5s, but if that's not happening, at the bare minimum Rob has to be far more selective on when he looks to score. Same with guys trying to feed the post when he posts up. Him catching it in the post has been disastrous for the team of late, they've just been able to win despite it.

Overall, I'm not taking much from today, Mizzou was hot and Gates is a very good coach. This is far from a season killer, just would have been nice to win it. I do want to see some sort of shift with Rob's minutes though.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Jones had 8 boards in 16 minutes to lead the team, 5 of them offensive. 3/7 from the field. Clearly makes some bad plays, but he’s putting himself in position to make them i guess.
Yeah, he does do good things. He could do better things if he learned to pass out of the double team on the block. OR not to take it INTO a double team on the block.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We've putup 60, 61, and 59 the last 3 Saturdays. That's pathetic offense.

Yep and everyone expected the offense to be clunky again this year and even those numbers are a vast improvement from bad offense last season, and overall it's been way better.

They'll struggle in other games too.

Reactions: CyNews

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Not disagreeing, but not many teams can pull off those passes AND shoot like MU did today.
I agree with you, but once they prove they CAN / ARE pulling off those passes AND they show they are going to shoot out of their minds now that they have confidence, you have to pull back into a more straight up form of D. Most of their 3s earlier on were from the pass out of the near trap. Later, it simply didn;'t matter what we did becuase they were playing with BIG house money and when you are loose like that, you're going to put eveything in.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Thoughts from being there in person.
-Mizzou fans were fired up for this one right from the beginning. Sold out and loud.
-ISU fans traveled very well. I estimate about 8% of fans were in Cardinal
-It was every bit a bummer in person as it likely was on TV. Probably more so for ISU fans who drove more than 4 hours for that performance by the team.

Take the bad loss and move on. This team still has an incredible ceiling.

Reactions: CyNews and madguy30

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I kinda laughed when some thought this would be an easy game even without Grill

So far it's been bad karma when the 'they don't hit threes or play much defense, ISU should just be able to smother them' mantra comes out.

Even KSU hit threes at an unusual clip. I don't think ISU closes out as well this year but teams have also had their day at a terrible time.