Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I think the issue, currently at this point in the overall media universe, having a deal that is completely on streaming or extremely heavy streaming, could hurt the visibility and overall popularity of the conference.

I think we all agree that streaming works, and things are moving to have more content that way. But at this point having all a conferences content only in a streaming platform, even one as large as Amazon, will hurt the overall viewership and exposure of the conference. Not being on one of the major networks and their partner sports networks for the major content with the secondary content on the streaming platforms is a risk.

Even if they actually get a larger contract for their media deal. If that deal restricts their content to only a streaming platform, over the course of this contract term in may hurt their value vs. their peers in other conferences, due to their lower exposure. Think of it like how ESPN has propped up the value of the Big Ten or SEC to an extreme level. No one outside Amazon would be promoting their content, not on any regular channels that people watch anything else. That can really hurt the exposure and overall value over time.

While those major fans of certain teams/games will seek out that content. The casual fan wont, they will just watch what they have access to or see on their normal channels, or on before or after their teams game. This will be a bad thing for a conferences locked totally on streaming.

If they secure a partial deal with Amazon and say CBS for half their games or similar they will probably be ok. But it will need to be a significant amount of content.

I don't have any live TV other than OTA and ESPN+.

I check out ESPN+ for games, but they are typically awful games with no production quality. I'll check out a PAC game on Amazon for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2speedy1

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

I check out ESPN+ for games, but they are typically awful games with no production quality. I'll check out a PAC game on Amazon for sure.

Smart TV's are blurring the line beteween network programming and streaming more than ever. Anymore, you turn the TV on and everything across platforms is accessible right there on the first menu.

One nice side benefit of a stream heavy deal is that you can always kick off your games at the time you prefer instead of being dependent on various TV windows. I'd be at a ton more ISU games if they all kicked off at 1 pm on Saturdays.

The PAC suffered more as a league from a lack of exposure to the rest of the country anyway, so that may not be as big a deal to them. But it would be a big deal to the Big 12 which can't really afford to lose any media prestige as their top two brands walk out the door..

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I dont get this issue. I never have had a problem. I go into the sports section and click all the games I want to watch then they are in my most recent watched. It takes 2 secs to flip between apps and hulu live.

For TNF and Thursday CFB, it never seems this easy. Flipping between ESPN, YTTV, and Prime is excruciatingly slow compared to channel flipping. Every time you change service you have to restart an app.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
For TNF and Thursday CFB, it never seems this easy. Flipping between ESPN, YTTV, and Prime is excruciatingly slow compared to channel flipping. Every time you change service you have to restart an app.

I have Hulu Live, never had this issue. Maybe I figured out the system lol, I doubt it.

• Agree
Reactions: CYDJ

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

So you don't watch many ISU games then? Given that a lot of our games are still on the ESPN or FSN networks.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
So you don't watch many ISU games then? Given that a lot of our games are still on the ESPN or FSN networks.

I watch as many as possible, but not nearly as many as I used to.

I don't watch basketball at all so that is easy for me. I listen to football games more or just know I'm going to miss a few during the season.

That's life now.

Reactions: drmwevr08

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

I subscribed to Amazon, but after a couple years struggled to find new series or movies that I wanted to watch. I am now working through Hulu & Disney services as they were part of the ESPN+ bundle.
After Cyclone hoops is over, I will drop the ESPN/Hulu/Disney bundle and switch to Netflix. Which I had before Amazon.

As much as I like to watch sports, not sure I would decide to buy Amazon, Netflix, Apple, etc. based on the sports media properties they own, unless they have Cyclone sports.

Series and movies would always be the driver. So Pac12 football will be invisible to me. Just like MNF & TNF.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013

It's not that I am doubting this (which I very strongly am), but what kind of organization puts this out without providing the criteria or formula they used to back it?

At least with the university ratings you can look at what they are basing their stupid opinions on and tear them apart. With this, there is nothing other than a number. Just a way to get people to comment I'd guess.

Like I am doing now, ha!

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
So it's a favorite team ranking by some random sysadmin at a banking website, or a masterful attempt to draw clicks and attention.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm