Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Yeah I don't even think an ultimatum would've been necessary. As your earlier post mentioned the B1G rep saying that when USC/UCLA call about joining you have to listen. Of course they're a take, right then and there. My wife has cousins who are USC grads/donors and they're cool with joining the B1G but at first were thrown just by the cultural fit of west coast and midwest. I watch Finebaum's show on SEC Network from time to time and hear those call in viewers... picturing those guys in the same conference as the SoCal snobs is just kind of impossible.
Hahaha the finebaum show after the realignment was incredible. Saw some clips and those people are insane.

Reactions: WhoISthis

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
Andrew Marchand gave some updated thoughts on the PAC-12 tv negotiation.

Says things are only getting tougher for the PAC-12. He cites mass layoffs at Amazon, a change in leadership at Disney (ESPN) that’s emphasizing increasing profits over subscribers, along with uncertainty surrounding the California Board of Regents’ decision.

He said there’s no chance they get a significantly better deal than the Big 12. A deal on par with us is possible, but will be tough.

I’m glad Yormark got it done early, because this certainly isn’t sounding like a seller’s market right now.

Starts at 29:30

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
It would be pretty funny if they force UCLA to stay, and they just take Stanford, Oregon, and Washington instead.
Exactly. All it would do is take gobs of new revenue away from the state's system and hand it to a private or another state.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I really don't see the desire to go to 24. At that point you aren't even a conference you are a whole league. You couldn't even play all those teams in a basketball season. I do agree that anytime ND came calling the big ten would take them though.
Remember when Big 10 members were making fun of the brand new Big 12 when it arose out of the Big 8 and ashes of the SWC saying that was too big for a conference and you couldn't even play everyone in football every season? Yeah, I remember that too. Sixteen is even too big to really be a conference.

Last edited:

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
It kind of seems there could be some movement soon. Fox and Big 12 might make some headway on moving OUT out in 2024. PAC contract is done at that same time. Yormark mentnioed there could be some movement in th nt so distant future. it's a good time to move conferences if you desire. Obviously PAC commish is going to elay and slow roll this until the last possible time. it shortens the length of time 4 corners have to make a decision.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Looks like almost all of the pac 12 media rights are going to Amazon in exchange for money about equal to B12/ACC.

Amazon gets Pac-12 rights​

ESPN will be prepared to split the Pac-12’s media rights with Amazon, but will not offer the conference significantly more than it pays for the Big 12. That will lead the Pac-12 to sell almost its entire media package to Amazon for a price that is slightly higher than what the Big 12 gets from ESPN and Fox. The Pac-12 will carve out a handful of prime-time football games that it then will sell to CBS.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Looks like almost all of the pac 12 media rights are going to Amazon in exchange for money about equal to B12/ACC.

Ourand is extremely well connected, but that's a prediction, certainly nothing that he's reporting is happening.

Reactions: 2speedy1

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

Keep in mind this is just this guys, "Predictions"

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Keep in mind this is just this guys, "Predictions"
It's like the one ISU fan that spams the Arizona 247 board with every piece of chatter like its a fact.

There are certainly signs the Pac will sign a deal with a heavy streaming component comparable to the Big 12 deal, but some people repeat every Greg Swaim tweet like its actually sourced.

Reactions: IstateClone

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
The thing I don’t like about Amazon or Google or any other streaming app picking up sports games is that I can’t really channel surf. I have to switch apps if I want to switch back to Hulu to watch ESPN or Fox games. I usually watch ISU games start to finish, but for the most part am just channel surfing between commercial breaks for all other games.

I can’t be the only consumer who feels this way.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
The thing I don’t like about Amazon or Google or any other streaming app picking up sports games is that I can’t really channel surf. I have to switch apps if I want to switch back to Hulu to watch ESPN or Fox games. I usually watch ISU games start to finish, but for the most part am just channel surfing between commercial breaks for all other games.

I can’t be the only consumer who feels this way.

I dont get this issue. I never have had a problem. I go into the sports section and click all the games I want to watch then they are in my most recent watched. It takes 2 secs to flip between apps and hulu live.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I think the issue, currently at this point in the overall media universe, having a deal that is completely on streaming or extremely heavy streaming, could hurt the visibility and overall popularity of the conference.

I think we all agree that streaming works, and things are moving to have more content that way. But at this point having all a conferences content only in a streaming platform, even one as large as Amazon, will hurt the overall viewership and exposure of the conference. Not being on one of the major networks and their partner sports networks for the major content with the secondary content on the streaming platforms is a risk.

Even if they actually get a larger contract for their media deal. If that deal restricts their content to only a streaming platform, over the course of this contract term in may hurt their value vs. their peers in other conferences, due to their lower exposure. Think of it like how ESPN has propped up the value of the Big Ten or SEC to an extreme level. No one outside Amazon would be promoting their content, not on any regular channels that people watch anything else. That can really hurt the exposure and overall value over time.

While those major fans of certain teams/games will seek out that content. The casual fan wont, they will just watch what they have access to or see on their normal channels, or on before or after their teams game. This will be a bad thing for a conferences locked totally on streaming.

If they secure a partial deal with Amazon and say CBS for half their games or similar they will probably be ok. But it will need to be a significant amount of content.

• Winner
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE