Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
No sh^t... But we're absolutely headed for a two division de facto NFL Lite...the one I described. How did the last all SEC National Championship do for ratings? If it did worse than the last five, last ten, it's pretty clear that the genius's who developed the playoff don't care.

How have UNL, Colorado, Missouri, UMD or aTm fared post realignment? They've gotten richer and less competitive...and in the case of CU and Mizzou their fans have checked out. And if asked, their ADs would say they'd do it all again...for the money.

Unless the B1G and SEC are prepared to subsidize the little three, simple economics dictates that those two leagues will be so far ahead financially that a gap, acknowledged or not, creates two classes.

ISU can't sustain a $50MM gap with UI, which is coming. THAT is what's going to cause ISU fans to check out.

Finally, ESPN & Fox clearly DO want the financial disparity to exist which creates separate classes. They're paying for it.
That’s why the playoffs are expanding. It might still end up all SEC but other teams will have a shot. Texas has had a financial advantage over the big 12 forever and they haven’t done much with it.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
But does Fox and ESPN believe that? Ultimately that is what will drive it.

A tougher question is what if there is no competitive balance? If only the B1G and SEC are any good, they start to pay players (or use NIL) to buy the best players from the other 3 conferences, and those become glorified G5s? Will that lack of competitive balance also kill ratings overall as ACC/PAC/Big12 fans tune out?
Fox and ESPN haven’t forced a conference to do anything they haven’t wanted to do. Grabbing OUT is a move every single conference would have made. There already isn’t competitive balance but as long as their is the opportunity to get into the playoff anything could happen, kinda like March Maddness.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
https://saturdayblitz.com/2022/08/22/big-ten-sec-football-expand-start-own-league/ Call it click bait if you want, but your willful ignorance that a break away could in fact be a real thing is... odd. There are lots of people talking about this.
A break away would kill ratings and doom college football. Sports bloggers write about anything that gets clicks regardless of facts just look at the pac 12 coverage. Last year they were blogging about the inevitable Big12 demise. Then it was that Big12 teams were going to the big ten. So yeah, clickbait

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
https://saturdayblitz.com/2022/08/22/big-ten-sec-football-expand-start-own-league/ Call it click bait if you want, but your willful ignorance that a break away could in fact be a real thing is... odd. There are lots of people talking about this.

Only talk about football there. What happens if the rest of the schools say it's all or nothing. If you break away for football, you're not eligible for the rest of the sports. Can other sports survive with only 32 teams playing each other?

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
Since divisions are going away they could stay at 15. Or they could add one of Oregon/Washington. If they wanted to add others past 16 it would have happened since those schools are waiting for potential invites.
The only catch there is you can’t have an odd number of teams and an odd number of conference games. I think they definitely prefer 9 conference games, but I don’t know if it’s a dealbreaker.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
The only catch there is you can’t have an odd number of teams and an odd number of conference games. I think they definitely prefer 9 conference games, but I don’t know if it’s a dealbreaker.
That is a very valid point, I’m sure the number of conference games is already locked into the media deal so probably forced to have an even number. Don’t think of that one, good shout

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Fox and ESPN haven’t forced a conference to do anything they haven’t wanted to do. Grabbing OUT is a move every single conference would have made. There already isn’t competitive balance but as long as their is the opportunity to get into the playoff anything could happen, kinda like March Maddness.
This makes me wonder what would have the Big12 media deal have garnered if OuT would of stayed and the conference had added only BYU and UC. :rolleyes:

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
That is a very valid point, I’m sure the number of conference games is already locked into the media deal so probably forced to have an even number. Don’t think of that one, good shout
So, I’m curious, in the unlikely event UCLA is blocked and the B10 desires to go to 16 to maintain 9 conference games, who do you think the Big 10 would take? To me, it wouldn’t make sense to solely take Washington without an Oregon or Stanford. Washington really doesn’t provide a travel partner for USC other than being in the same time zone. Both would be on an island.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Isn't that truth according to @FriendlySpartan, that's what he's been saying after it happened. Before that he was saying the B1G wouldn't be taking Pac schools. Are there any unbiased sources to substantiate that?
No idea, this is the first I've heard of it. If it happened I don't know how everyone involved wouldn't have seen through it as a bluff, there's zero chance USC or UCLA would have ever joined the SEC.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
No sh^t... But we're absolutely headed for a two division de facto NFL Lite...the one I described. How did the last all SEC National Championship do for ratings? If it did worse than the last five, last ten, it's pretty clear that the genius's who developed the playoff don't care.

How have UNL, Colorado, Missouri, UMD or aTm fared post realignment? They've gotten richer and less competitive...and in the case of CU and Mizzou their fans have checked out. And if asked, their ADs would say they'd do it all again...for the money.

Unless the B1G and SEC are prepared to subsidize the little three, simple economics dictates that those two leagues will be so far ahead financially that a gap, acknowledged or not, creates two classes.

ISU can't sustain a $50MM gap with UI, which is coming. THAT is what's going to cause ISU fans to check out.

Finally, ESPN & Fox clearly DO want the financial disparity to exist which creates separate classes. They're paying for it.
The budget for ISU has always been a lot less than Iowa's, the size of the gap really does not matter as long as the Big 10 does not use the extra money for NIL or to increase the number of scholarships each school offers. There is only so much physical building any of these schools can do, and Iowa has updated their stadium about as much as the space allows, and they will never leave their current stadium and build a new one.

Sure they can build a new basketball arena with the money, increase the amount they spend on the minor sports, or even offer more sports, but none of that will matter to football. It just means higher pay for coaches and larger buyouts when they fire a coach.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
So, I’m curious, in the unlikely event UCLA is blocked and the B10 desires to go to 16 to maintain 9 conference games, who do you think the Big 10 would take? To me, it wouldn’t make sense to solely take Washington without an Oregon or Stanford. Washington really doesn’t provide a travel partner for USC other than being in the same time zone. Both would be on an island.
I honestly don’t know. Washington makes an incredible amount of sense but doesn’t have the brand UCLA does. I could really see Stanford but honestly haven’t given it much thought since I really doubt UCLA gets blocked.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Ok so this doesn’t say the SEC but this is a quote from SI

“For the Big Ten, it was an easy decision. Much like Texas and Oklahoma, USC and UCLA approached the Big Ten with a message: They were planning to leave the Pac-12 and wanted to know whether the league was interested in accepting them.

“You have to be a moron to not think about it,” a Big Ten source says. “They would have gone somewhere else if we said no.”

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
No idea, this is the first I've heard of it. If it happened I don't know how everyone involved wouldn't have seen through it as a bluff, there's zero chance USC or UCLA would have ever joined the SEC.

They would have absolutely joined the SEC. You crazy.

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
You can think that. I don't. These are elite academic schools, there's no way faculty, alumni or donors would've been on board with the SEC, which aside from Vandy and maybe a few others would've been an academic and cultural cesspool for SoCal bluebloods.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
You can think that. I don't. These are elite academic schools, there's no way faculty, alumni or donors would've been on board with the SEC, which aside from Vandy and maybe a few others would've been an academic and cultural cesspool for SoCal bluebloods.
I don’t disagree with that assessment at all but if they approach and say they are leaving the PAC you have to take them seriously. There really wasn’t another landing spot that made sense even if joining the SEC is counter intuitive to a lot of what they stand for.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

They were in a conference with Oregon State and the Arizona schools and UCLA’s AD was running massive deficits.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I don’t disagree with that assessment at all but if they approach and say they are leaving the PAC you have to take them seriously. There really wasn’t another landing spot that made sense even if joining the SEC is counter intuitive to a lot of what they stand for.
Yeah I don't even think an ultimatum would've been necessary. As your earlier post mentioned the B1G rep saying that when USC/UCLA call about joining you have to listen. Of course they're a take, right then and there. My wife has cousins who are USC grads/donors and they're cool with joining the B1G but at first were thrown just by the cultural fit of west coast and midwest. I watch Finebaum's show on SEC Network from time to time and hear those call in viewers... picturing those guys in the same conference as the SoCal snobs is just kind of impossible.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
In my CFB Lifetime, USC has played home and homes with Alabama (twice), Auburn, Florida, L.S.U., Tennessee and Arkansas. Me thinks the Trojans would have liked playing in the S.E.C. just fine!