*** Official IOWA STATE vs #4 TCU Game(Day) Thread ***

clone37

Oct 9, 2010
No, people like you need to realize who is really being ignorant. And be ready for some difficult discussions.

I loved the CMC hire. But he started losing me in 2020.

We make the same mistakes as in year 1.

We are unprepared, and never look smooth on offense.

Our special teams and oline are worse than ever.

We cannot run a 2 minute drill.

Our playcalling and coaching philosophy are predictable.

We play scared, trying not to lose, instead of simply going for the win.

CMC has only once shown a capacity for adaptation, and that was probably due to Heacock's urging.

We didn't even try different things during this whole year, and nobody showed improvement. Nobody.

We looked worse at the end, with more coaching.

If you look at an honest assessment of CMC, you realize mediocre coaching, preparation, and execution were overcome by extreme talent at certain skill positions, namely running back.

If the market deems him such a great commodity, why isn't he still being named with job openings? Exactly.
Exactly my thoughts. We can all get jaded and caught up in message board doom and gloom from time to time, but the mere fact that Matt is no longer being considered for other jobs is a telltale sign of what other unbiased folks think about this situation. Last season still ended with a winning record due to the large amount of talent still around, but you could easily see the program momentum shifting. This year was a huge year to at least show we could tread water. Matt is not a terrible coach overall, and he does have some strengths, but the glory days appear to be long gone unfortunately and don't appear to ever be returning.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I agree that his strong points may have hit the ceiling. Recruiting and getting his stoked to play are great. A good D coach and then that's it. O, St and about anything else you can think of have been poor. Unless he gets more NFL talent in here, could be bad.
If things don't look obviously different at the start of next year, that's what I'd bet on.

Reactions: yez

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Dumb response. If you don’t have context applied to statements they are worthless. I was applying context. You? Meh.
What is it with your obsession about context?

Yes, I get that bowl games we're much more difficult to get invited to back in the day, but the ultimate measure of any coaching career is overall winning percentage. The good ole days weren't as good as you make them out to be.

Anyway, we already had this discussion, so I'll spare everyone from repeating it.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I would add a different perspective. Both our programs are developmental. To me that means they'll cycle from great, to good, and yes occasionally to bad.

They'll be better next. Then, maybe good or great Decker's senior year. It's just how it works for non-elites who have strong foundations and the ability to develop 3* into fives. They cycle.

ZuriCyclone

Nov 10, 2019
It is Monday and no change has been called on the offensive staff.

In for pain the next season.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
It is Monday and no change has been called on the offensive staff.

In for pain the next season.

This seems correct. Nick Osen was on KXNO and said don't count on a Special Teams coach for next year. My guess is ISU will lose 2 games directly due to special teams next season.

• Agree
Reactions: ZuriCyclone

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
No, people like you need to realize who is really being ignorant. And be ready for some difficult discussions.

I loved the CMC hire. But he started losing me in 2020.

We make the same mistakes as in year 1.

We are unprepared, and never look smooth on offense.

Our special teams and oline are worse than ever.

We cannot run a 2 minute drill.

Our playcalling and coaching philosophy are predictable.

We play scared, trying not to lose, instead of simply going for the win.

CMC has only once shown a capacity for adaptation, and that was probably due to Heacock's urging.

We didn't even try different things during this whole year, and nobody showed improvement. Nobody.

We looked worse at the end, with more coaching.

If you look at an honest assessment of CMC, you realize mediocre coaching, preparation, and execution were overcome by extreme talent at certain skill positions, namely running back.

If the market deems him such a great commodity, why isn't he still being named with job openings? Exactly.
So he started losing you the year we won the Fiesta Bowl…the best bowl we’ve ever been to/won? Got it.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I would add a different perspective. Both our programs are developmental. To me that means they'll cycle from great, to good, and yes occasionally to bad.

They'll be better next. Then, maybe good or great Decker's senior year. It's just how it works for non-elites who have strong foundations and the ability to develop 3* into fives. They cycle.
I think the problem is we didn't see any development through the year on the offensive side. And our o-line was pretty veteran and looked terrible all year and seemed to get worse.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

ZuriCyclone

Nov 10, 2019
This seems correct. Nick Osen was on KXNO and said don't count on a Special Teams coach for next year. My guess is ISU will lose 2 games directly due to special teams next season.

The insane stubbornness of CMC refusal to change after brutal loses the last 6 years.

So many of the close loses could have been wins, if there was competent staff in the special teams/ Offense , which was able to evaluate talent, develop and game manage, as the defense has done for the last six years.

• Agree
Reactions: twojman

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Campbell's ascent to going full Kirk Ferentz has to include his insistence on not changing something that's obviously broken simply because you aren't going to tell him how to do his job.

• Winner
Reactions: ZuriCyclone

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
If you think there is going to be a lot of positive media hype, or positive karma going into next season, you are the ignorant one. We just came off a 4 win season. We just got our *** handed to us with a 48 point season ending loss. We just finished 10th in a 10 team league. I WANT Matt Campbell to succeed. More importantly, I want ISU to succeed. CMC has not shown a willingness to address deficiencies with his staff or program…so far. Will he make changes? I don’t know. If he doesn’t, I’m confident we’ll see more seasons like this one. You can call that ignorant…I call it reality.
I don’t care whether there is positive media hype or not. What I will say is intelligent media members and fans understand where ISU football has been historically and where Campbell has taken us…and anyone who at this point thinks it’s reasonable he would be on the “hot seat” appears to be incapable of judging him and his tenure reasonably. This is the exact type of decision-making that lead Nebraska to get rid of two very good coaches in a row…and make a series of terrible hires.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
The insane stubbornness of CMC refusal to change after brutal loses the last 6 years.

So many of the close loses could have been wins, if there was competent staff in the special teams/ Offense , which was able to evaluate talent, develop and game manage, as the defense has done for the last six years.

As far as special teams goes, how much of it is coaching and how much of it is kids not being able to perform when the lights are brightest? Special teams looked good when Kene was returning or when Mevis was kicking. We saw Corey Dunn could punt it a mile if he just didn’t crap down his leg when a real rush came, that tells me it’s not all coaching and a decent chunk is between the ears. Honestly, coaches can only do so much in special teams. Most of the time the guys in that unit either have it or they don’t.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
Two things can be true at the same time. We can recognize that he has earned the chance to turn it around while also acknowledging that when a programs trajectory is this way its generally not very likely it recovers under the current coach.
I disagree that we are on a downward trajectory. If we have another 3 win season next year, there may be reason for concern, but most schools at non-elite programs are going to have an off year or two in a row…and it’s almost a slap in the face to Brock, Breece, Charlie, and company to expect to pick up where we left off…knowing they are some of the best we’ve ever had (and we’re not Alabama).

I had real concerns going into the season about Hunter…thought I was wrong after the first three games but evidently wasn’t. Manning and others on the offensive staff should have a done better job designing the offense to better compensate for personnel deficiencies, but I do not have long-term concerns about Campbell at this point.

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Nick Osen was on KXNO and said don't count on a Special Teams coach for next year. My guess is ISU will lose 2 games directly due to special teams next season.

Our special teams efficiency was ranked 101 last year and 116 this year, if this doesn't cause someone to make a change then I honestly don't know what will.

Taz4President

Oct 3, 2013
Austin TX
I disagree that we are on a downward trajectory. If we have another 3 win season next year, there may be reason for concern, but most schools at non-elite programs are going to have an off year or two in a row…and it’s almost a slap in the face to Brock, Breece, Charlie, and company to expect to pick up where we left off…knowing they are some of the best we’ve ever had (and we’re not Alabama).

I had real concerns going into the season about Hunter…thought I was wrong after the first three games but evidently wasn’t. Manning and others on the offensive staff should have a done better job designing the offense to better compensate for personnel deficiencies, but I do not have long-term concerns about Campbell at this point.
This is some weird-ass logic. The team needed to be worse than 7-6 otherwise it would be insulting to previous players.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
This is some weird-ass logic. The team needed to be worse than 7-6 otherwise it would be insulting to previous players.
No…

The point is if fans look at perhaps the best four year period in ISU football history and then think it’s just plug and play (in other words we’ll take the next 22 guys and have the same or better results), what would that mean for Purdy, Hall, Kolar, etc?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron