What’s going at Casey’s?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Traveled across 4 states for Thanksgiving.

Every location is a **** show.

Pumps don’t work.

Credit cards not accepted.

Bathrooms out of order.

Staff clueless.

I am a shareholder so a bit dismayed.

Meanwhile the Quick Star north of Iowa City? Thst place is heavenly.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I agree the customer service difference between Kwik Star and Casey's is like night and day.

The credit card scanner on Casey's gas pumps doesn't work (you must insert your card), but they don't have a sign on the pump to warn you about that, so you stand there like an idiot trying to scan your card. When I went inside to let them know, the person behind the counter just said "yeah, it doesn't work".

Also, the gas price at the Ankeny Kwik Stars is always less compared to the Ankeny Casey's.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I'm guessing a big reason for the difference in customer service between Kwik Star and Casey's is what they pay their employees. I saw a help wanted sign at Kwik Star recently that indicated the yearly earnings. I don't recall the exact amount, but I remember being a bit surprised because it was higher than I expected. I'm guessing the hourly wage at Casey's isn't much better than working the drive thru at Bee Bops.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Generally, Kwik Star customer service is elite compared to Casey's. I often leave Casey's wanting the employee fired on the spot because they seem tired, disinterested & poorly trained.
I live in NEIA, so we’ve had Kwik Star for years.

There are 5-6 people who have worked at the Kwik Star in my town for over a decade. It’s a good job that pays fairly well, and there’s an obvious strong culture/good relationship among the employees. You almost never wait in line, and everything works. If it’s broke, it ain’t down long.

Our Casey’s is the total opposite. Only long time employee is the head-up-her-ass manager that sits on her phone in her office while a 10 person line builds up at the register. If the assistant manager is working, she’s more likely to be outside with a heater than inside checking you out. They at least keep the bathrooms usable and the hot food coming out, but that’s it.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
Casey’s is a great example of a company that grew so fast that it forgot what made it great in the first place. With the rapid territorial expansion, quality seems to be sacrificed with so many things broken, lack of customer service, and a logo that isn’t nostalgic for the customers that grew up with a Casey’s in their hometown.

HyVee is on a similar path I’m afraid.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Casey’s is a great example of a company that grew so fast that it forgot what made it great in the first place. With the rapid territorial expansion, quality seems to be sacrificed with so many things broken, lack of customer service, and a logo that isn’t nostalgic for the customers that grew up with a Casey’s in their hometown.

I read this out of curiosity.

First, thank you for being the first post to attempt to answer the question.

Second, as an investor there's one thing my mistakes have taught me through life: 'SELL' when a company starts to lean towards 'margins'. There's only so much 'marketing' can hide. Eventually, 'quality' suffers and hence this thread.

Anyone remembers "Suds n Duds"? A classic example of growing too fast out of greed.

CyState85

May 8, 2019

Second, as an investor there's one thing my mistakes have taught me through life: 'SELL' when a company starts to lean towards 'margins'. There's only so much 'marketing' can hide. Eventually, 'quality' suffers and hence this thread.

Anyone remembers "Suds n Duds"? A classic example of growing too fast out of greed.

I’m sure it’s stock price will continue to go through the roof over the next 8-10 years as it expands beyond the Midwest with its privately made products enhancing profits.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
I live in NEIA, so we’ve had Kwik Star for years.

There are 5-6 people who have worked at the Kwik Star in my town for over a decade. It’s a good job that pays fairly well, and there’s an obvious strong culture/good relationship among the employees. You almost never wait in line, and everything works. If it’s broke, it ain’t down long.

Our Casey’s is the total opposite. Only long time employee is the head-up-her-ass manager that sits on her phone in her office while a 10 person line builds up at the register. If the assistant manager is working, she’s more likely to be outside with a heater than inside checking you out. They at least keep the bathrooms usable and the hot food coming out, but that’s it.
Haha... I think I know who you are referring to. You are not wrong.

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020

You nailed it.

I love Casey’s, it’s nostalgic for me and sort of a piece of home since I don’t live in Iowa anymore. For years, when I drive back home from Texas, I have always made it a point to stop and get my gas and get Casey’s pizza- it’s almost a ritual. Even my kids now ask when we’re getting Casey’s pizza when we hit the road.

Years ago, there weren’t many Casey’s south of KC, now I can find them as far south as OKC. Casey’s expanded really fast and I think it hurt them. When I travel- it’s now hit and miss: sometimes it’s the ‘old’Casey’s: clean store, attentive workers, hot pizza ready to go. Other times, it’s a dumpster fire: no pizza, dirty restrooms, workers disengaged. I usually just blow it off, but I’ve noticed.

On a side note, I have a 18 year-old nephew that works at a Quick Star in DM- kid is making almost $20/hr and he loves it. Works his tail off and he’s making good money for a guy his age.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Visiting family in Oak Ridge, TN. They have a Casey's! Surprised that the company has extended this far.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Ames had one in the South strip of the North Grand Mall IIRC. Next to Walgreens.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I’m sure it’s stock price will continue to go through the roof over the next 8-10 years as it expands beyond the Midwest with its privately made products enhancing profits.

Not to get too political, but this is likely frustratingly true. I'm pretty jaded about what a corporations motivations are anymore. Employees and even customers aren't necessarily tops in the priority list of shareholders. Especially if a CEO might have a 5 year shelf life or so.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
They're a pizza place kept afloat bc no one expects much from gas station food. Gas pumps are bkfst pizza gravy, c-store goods are cherry on top.