Aug 23, 2012
America

rounders-teddykgb.gif

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
So 3 pages in and we have some cantankerous scoffs at the criticism but no real responses or constructive feedback besides 'you're ignorant'.

Reactions: CyDude16

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
If u worked as hard as a farmer every day and it got so windy it blew your last three months worth of work down, u might be angry also
I think that's completely acceptable and I understand it. I am 100% for helping farmers with natural disasters, etc because I don't want to starve. Now, I am not ok with having horrible water quality. There needs to be some give from the farmers there.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Probably because a lot of valid responses here would end up cave-worthy so many are opting not to respond in much depth.
So bureaucracy? I think that's valid enough but I don't see why it must be political.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I have to plead ignorance as I legit didn’t know there was such strong feelings between non farmers and farmers, in both directions.

royalcy

Feb 7, 2016
I think that's completely acceptable and I understand it. I am 100% for helping farmers with natural disasters, etc because I don't want to starve. Now, I am not ok with having horrible water quality. There needs to be some give from the farmers there.
You keep bringing up water quality, but you are misinformed. Cities dump waste water into streams, lakes, and oceans. City dwellers fertilize lawns sometimes at 100x rate because they have no idea what they are doing just to have a pretty lawn. When it rains in the city it dumps into storm drains and runs directly into water sources Meanwhile farmers do everything they can to have enough fertilizer to raise a profitable crop which in return raises the food you eat. You are the problem.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
You keep bringing up water quality, but you are misinformed. Cities dump waste water into streams, lakes, and oceans. City dwellers fertilize lawns sometimes at 100x rate because they have no idea what they are doing just to have a pretty lawn. When it rains in the city it dumps into storm drains and runs directly into water sources Meanwhile farmers do everything they can to have enough fertilizer to raise a profitable crop which in return raises the food you eat. You are the problem.
Someone lied to you.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

Did you copy that word for word from the Farmer’s Bureau pamphlet?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Fertilize lawns at 100x rate?
I think I'm supposed to set my dial at like 4.5 out of 15.
100x rate would be a lot of fertilizer and walking.

royalcy

Feb 7, 2016
Someone lied to you.
Fertilize lawns at 100x rate?
I think I'm supposed to set my dial at like 4.5 out of 15.
100x rate would be a lot of fertilizer and walking.
You just proved my point. You have no idea how many actual pounds of fertilizer per acre you are putting on. A farmer does and it is no where close to the same rate. Yours is for looks. Theirs is to grow food for you

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I have to plead ignorance as I legit didn’t know there was such strong feelings between non farmers and farmers, in both directions.
The water situation is dire honestly. It's been a fight for a long time but gotten really bad in the last 10 years. A family member of mine was a prof at ISU in Landscape Arch/Design. He was a naturalist and was an expert in native Iowa plant life, even had a couple of books on it. He did work all over Iowa, restoring prairie, helping people to utilize the natural properties of the marshy land Iowa is meant to be by filtering our waters through natural biological processes, and even working on the Ada Hayden project.

There has always been push back against regulation by farmers, and I think that's somewhat natural. But IMO it's gone too far. Never before has a metropolis had to drill wells for it's drinking water. Water tables have been low for years. It's not good.

Example. Above. I know what I'm talking about more than most here. I'm not the expert, he is in the early stages of dementia and his vast knowledge will be lost to us, but I can at least help to push his life's interest in cleaner water and better land for Iowa.

Of course people will be stupid in the cities, but you're absolutely ridiculous to deny that tiling out the naturally marshy land doesn't push nitrates into the rivers at unbelievable rates. This isn't me just riffing off BS. There's plenty of studies done on the water quality of Des Moines. It points to the counties north of us. Don't get me started on top soil erosion.

Here's an example of a farmer actually doing something about it. Most are completely cut off too criticism.

Last edited: