Iowa Football Recruiting

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
I think they over achieve. Iowa takes less heralded players and turn them into NFL quality players. Not an easy feat.
You’d be hard pressed to find many non blue blood programs with their on field success the last 10-20 years. Wisconsin maybe Ok St??

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
I think they over achieve. Iowa takes less heralded players and turn them into NFL quality players. Not an easy feat.
I guess we have different definitions of “over achieve.” To me, over achieving would be winning more than 1 NY6 game in 23+ years, or showing up to more than 2 conference championships in 23+ years (I wouldn’t really say they “played” in the championship game this last year, they were wildly exposed, again).

For having 45 straight years of NFL talent on the roster, they don’t really have much success

• Winner
Reactions: Cytown12

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I guess we have different definitions of “over achieve.” To me, over achieving would be winning more than 1 NY6 game in 23+ years, or showing up to more than 2 conference championships in 23+ years (I wouldn’t really say they “played” in the championship game this last year, they were wildly exposed, again).

For having 45 straight years of NFL talent on the roster, they don’t really have much success
This year’s championship appearance was once again like the other one, getting to miss the top two teams on the other side. If you just use their performance on the west side, they would not have appeared in it.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012

ISU fans are literally the only fanbase I've ever heard that says Iowa under achieves. Most if not all fanbases would agree that Iowa does more with less than most other college football programs. They are very seldom ranked in the top 40 for recruiting classes and usually finish the season ranked in the top 40 if not top 25. That is over achieving if you ask me.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
ISU fans are literally the only fanbase I've ever heard that says Iowa under achieves. Most if not all fanbases would agree that Iowa does more with less than most other college football programs. They are very seldom ranked in the top 40 for recruiting classes and usually finish the season ranked in the top 40 if not top 25. That is over achieving if you ask me.
HIC said your average recruiting rank lately was low 30s.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Not to down play what the Iowa staff has been able to do as far as o-line and d-lined development goes but the whole "nobody else wanted them" narrative is simply not true. The emergence of all of these different camps have put kids that used to be lightly recruited on the map.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Not to down play what the Iowa staff has been able to do as far as o-line and d-lined development goes but the whole "nobody else wanted them" narrative is simply not true. The emergence of all of these different camps have put kids that used to be lightly recruited on the map.
I agree with that. Seems to be less and less of players flying under the radar for sure.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
HIC said your average recruiting rank lately was low 30s.
That is only recent history and those recruits haven't had a chance to make a big impact yet. The past two recruiting cycles Iowa has had the 30 and 24th ranked recruiting classes. But if you go by the previous five recruiting classes before that, they averaged 40.6. Then the year before that previous five they ranked 59th.

Really happy with the uptick in recruiting though.

Reactions: 7Got6

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think that’s probably because there are minimal fan bases that actually talk about Iowa and we’re one of them due to the rivalry.

Iowa does not under achieve in my opinion. I just think we’re always told they’re going to be great and they end up being just good. Which is 100% fine and I’d certainly take that over what Iowa State has been in the past.

Reactions: JustAFleshWound

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I think that’s probably because there are minimal fan bases that actually talk about Iowa and we’re one of them due to the rivalry.

Iowa does not under achieve in my opinion. I just think we’re always told they’re going to be great and they end up being just good. Which is 100% fine and I’d certainly take that over what Iowa State has been in the past.
I hear it all the time traveling with my Hawk gear on from other fans and I frequent a few SEC boards and whenever the topic comes up it is always Iowa and Wisconsin that come to mind.

FWIW Campbell and ISU have over achieved since he got there. More than Iowa has over achieved in the same time frame even including the disappointing year last year.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

You don't get out much do you? Iowa fans only hear what Iowa fans want to hear and worship the ground KKKirk walks on as he can do no wrong. Keep drinking the kool-aid.

Tell me how the B1G championship game went. The big games show how much they "under achieve", which are a lot of bowl games they play in.

Last edited:

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
You don't get out much do you? Iowa fans only hear what Iowa fans want to hear and worship the ground KKKirk walks on as he can to no wrong. Keep drinking the kool-aid.

Tell me how the B1G championship game went. The big games show how much they "under achieve", which are a lot of bowl games they play in.
LOL, I don't even live in Iowa and haven't for over 20 years.

Got me there, they sucked big time in the Championship Game.

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
Once again, for you bragging about iowa having NFL players on their roster for 45, sure to be 46 straight seasons, they haven’t done anything on the collegiate field to match that.

With all of that NFL talent on Iowa’s roster year in and year out, why isn’t there any success?

• Haha
Reactions: 1776

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I agree with that. Seems to be less and less of players flying under the radar for sure.

Iowa's style of play is also a huge factor on why they get so many guys drafted too. There are a ton of really talented Big 12 players that get passed on or get picked up later than they should because of the style of play. The NFL is OBSESSED with measurables and college style of play.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009

2 conference championships in 23 years is unfair considering there's only been a conference championship for what 10-12 years? Could be 5 in 23 years depending on conference setup