Iowa Football Recruiting

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This. Falling a few picks out of the 1st doesn't really matter...especially when he was RB1 anyway. Teams just don't draft RBs that high unless they have a major need and the player is a generational talent. ISU will get a lot of traction out of getting 4 players drafted.

Same thing with people laughing it up about Purdy being Mr. Irrelevant. Four players drafted is four players drafted. Doesn't matter if one was the last pick of the 7th round. Guessing Tyler Goodson would have loved to be Mr. Irrelevant. So would Alan Lazard.
It only hurt 2-4 MM dollars worth.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
I got to say, disappointed and honestly shocked Rose didn’t get drafted. He is a really good football player and I’m a fan of how he plays. Going into the season I thought he was day two material and didn’t think he had a bad year. Did he have a terrible combine or something? Interested to get ISU fans thoughts.

Just look at Dean from Georgia to see how injury history kills your draft value. He was a 1st round talent that fell to the 3rd, Rose is a mid round talent at the NFL level so you add some health red flags then it makes sense to pass on him in the draft and try to bring him in as a UDFA

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
This. Falling a few picks out of the 1st doesn't really matter...especially when he was RB1 anyway. Teams just don't draft RBs that high unless they have a major need and the player is a generational talent. ISU will get a lot of traction out of getting 4 players drafted.

Same thing with people laughing it up about Purdy being Mr. Irrelevant. Four players drafted is four players drafted. Doesn't matter if one was the last pick of the 7th round. Guessing Tyler Goodson would have loved to be Mr. Irrelevant. So would Alan Lazard.
Agree it's probably cooler to be able to say you got drafted. But the $$$ for the last draft pick and UDFA is pretty much a wash. And being able to choose your destination is a nice perk for UDFAs vs. being put into an undesirable organization that might have that last pick. Lucky for BP he got a pretty sweet landing spot in San Fran.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Agree it's probably cooler to be able to say you got drafted. But the $$$ for the last draft pick and UDFA is pretty much a wash. And being able to choose your destination is a nice perk for UDFAs vs. being put into an undesirable organization that might have that last pick. Lucky for BP he got a pretty sweet landing spot in San Fran.
If things are close to equal, a team is going to keep their draft pick over a UFA. But it has to be pretty close. You're right, UFA does have more freedom to choose, but most are picking between 4-5 teams, not all 32. As far as the school goes, it's much better to say you had X number of players drafted rather than UFAs. But, the bigger selling point is getting guys on the final roster.

• Agree
Reactions: Gonzo and JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
If things are close to equal, a team is going to keep their draft pick over a UFA. But it has to be pretty close. You're right, UFA does have more freedom to choose, but most are picking between 4-5 teams, not all 32. As far as the school goes, it's much better to say you had X number of players drafted rather than UFAs. But, the bigger selling point is getting guys on the final roster.
Yeah, literally within minutes after the last pick guys are signing FA deals.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Agree. Buddy/former colleague of mine's son signed as a UFA several years ago. He had three teams to choose from. Liked that aspect of it but did say it's every guy's dream to hear their name on draft day.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah, literally within minutes after the last pick guys are signing FA deals.
They are getting phones call during the last round saying if not drafted we can you to come or hey we want to camp with you if not drafted. Know a kid who went through it just a couple years ago.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
Agree. Buddy/former colleague of mine's son signed as a UFA several years ago. He had three teams to choose from. Liked that aspect of it but did say it's every guy's dream to hear their name on draft day.

Brock couldn’t have picked a better situation if he had choices. SF has 2 roster QBs locked in, so no need to add any vets, plus their practice squad QB last season was 30 years old. Honestly a dream situation.

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
Injuries. He didn't play in the bowl game, didn't run at combine or pro day. He'll get his shot with the Chiefs.
I didn’t realize he got bit by the injury bug. That’s too bad, liked the way he played. Hopefully he gets healthy and catches on.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Just look at Dean from Georgia to see how injury history kills your draft value. He was a 1st round talent that fell to the 3rd, Rose is a mid round talent at the NFL level so you add some health red flags then it makes sense to pass on him in the draft and try to bring him in as a UDFA
Makes you wonder where Rose would have been drafted last year if he declared? I will never question a kid for coming back if that is what they truly want to do, but I think in this instance he left a lot of money on the table.

• Dumb
  • Agree
Reactions: 7Got6 and Lineup

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
So if my math is correct, Iowa's streak of having a player drafted in the NFL in consecutive years is now at 45 years. Should be 46 next year.

ISU is now at 2 and 3 of the last 4. I'm guessing ISU will have players drafted every year now too with Campbell at the helm.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Makes you wonder where Rose would have been drafted last year if he declared? I will never question a kid for coming back if that is what they truly want to do, but I think in this instance he left a lot of money on the table.

So if my math is correct, Iowa's streak of having a player drafted in the NFL in consecutive years is now at 45 years. Should be 46 next year.

ISU is now at 2 and 3 of the last 4. I'm guessing ISU will have players drafted every year now too with Campbell at the helm.
May be earning the ignore button soon. Been an ass lately.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018

Yeah, I think Iowa will have a guy drafted next year probably.

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street

With all that success in the NFL draft you would think Iowa would have more to show for it on the field and have more success. Why do you think they lack so much on the field success?