Iowa Football Recruiting

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Iowa's style of play is also a huge factor on why they get so many guys drafted too. There are a ton of really talented Big 12 players that get passed on or get picked up later than they should because of the style of play. The NFL is OBSESSED with measurables and college style of play.
What positions or units do you think have been elevated because of style of play? Maybe some olineman benefitted but I can't think of any others. We've just had really good tight ends and then it's been mostly defensive guys after that

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
What positions or units do you think have been elevated because of style of play? Maybe some olineman benefitted but I can't think of any others. We've just had really good tight ends and then it's been mostly defensive guys after that
O-line and D-line for sure.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I hear it all the time traveling with my Hawk gear on from other fans and I frequent a few SEC boards and whenever the topic comes up it is always Iowa and Wisconsin that come to mind.

FWIW Campbell and ISU have over achieved since he got there. More than Iowa has over achieved in the same time frame even including the disappointing year last year.
We’ve certainly overachieved. Underachieved last year though obviously.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
2 conference championships in 23 years is unfair considering there's only been a conference championship for what 10-12 years? Could be 5 in 23 years depending on conference setup
To be fair if you're going to say there's only been a conference championship the last decade you probably need to also say Iowa would have shared the others and in some cases got to avoid the big dog.
I'm going to miss the true B12 round robin.

Reactions: MyNameEhJeff

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
To be fair if you're going to say there's only been a conference championship the last decade you probably need to also say Iowa would have shared the others and in some cases got to avoid the big dog.
I'm going to miss the true B12 round robin.
Fair but I'm not going to counter my own counter. Current Big 12 is the fairest way to determine conference championship no doubt.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Fair but I'm not going to counter my own counter. Current Big 12 is the fairest way to determine conference championship no doubt.
It's really unfortunate the # of teams per conference and how everything is just changing so much in that regard. 10 teams for football and basketball is just so ideal.

Reactions: GoHawks and aobie

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
I miss the old Big 10 when it was 10 teams. I know the Big 12 will miss the 10 teams too. These super conferences are dumb at the end of the day.
I agree but it is nice to have a division filled with teams a close drive away. Some of these divisions today make no sense geographically.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
B10 48 draft picks > B12 25 draft picks
B10 7 first rd picks > B12 0
Even the West division had 20 picks. Nearly as many as the entire B12 conference.
big 10 14 teams > Big 12 10 teams

I don’t understand why this is such a difficult concept and why you can’t compare totals across conferences.

I won’t even argue that the Big 12 didn’t have the best draft but if Texas wasn’t complete dog ****, they should get 4-5 guys drafted per year. That puts the Big 12 right in line with all other leagues, not named SEC.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012

I don’t understand why this is such a difficult concept and why you can’t compare totals across conferences.

I won’t even argue that the Big 12 didn’t have the best draft but if Texas wasn’t complete dog ****, they should get 4-5 guys drafted per year. That puts the Big 12 right in line with all other leagues, not named SEC.
Texas won't be in the Big 12 for long though.

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021

I recognize the B10 has 40% more teams but they had nearly double the NFL talent. Math isn’t that hard.

Texas didn’t have 4-5 players drafted this year because their talent was lacking.

Reactions: GoHawks

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
You’re not going to convince us that the Big 10 West is good lol it’s not.
I won’t go as far to say the Big Ten West is good but it’s not nearly as bad as people on this board claim it is. The issue is the Big Ten East is stacked by comparison.

Basically every metric you could point to (NFL talent, head to head records, recruiting rankings) proves this out but some of you want to ride that narrative and that’s fine. I get that it’s hard to objective about your rival(s), I get that.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
I won’t go as far to say the Big Ten West is good but it’s not nearly as bad as people on this board claim it is. The issue is the Big Ten East is stacked by comparison.

Basically every metric you could point to (NFL talent, head to head records, recruiting rankings) proves this out but some of you want to ride that narrative and that’s fine. I get that it’s hard to objective about your rival(s), I get that.
This may be the dumbest thing you have posted here. That’s like a mt Everest high bar

• Dumb
Reactions: criticalobserver