Do you expect big things from 09 football team this year?

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
We have some very talented sophmores that look to be some top players in the big 12...Do you really think that hermans offense is going to be tuff to learn? Or possibly it will be easy do to that fact that he likes to throw the ball. It just seems to me that somthing has dramaticlly changed at the isu football program, Not sure if somthing weird would happen like us having an amazing record and a good bowl..its happen before with coaching changes

Last edited:

Nedrick

Mar 21, 2006
Carroll, IA
www.jdesignllc.com
I have to imagine learning a completely new system (offense & defense) will set us back a bit next season. Hopefully, we'll see improvement, but we may still get to only 3-4 wins...

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Hopefully a 4-5 win season with a sqwaks beating in one of those wins!

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
IF you mean by "Big Things", as forcing a punt now and then, then yes.

Ding, ding, ding...I think we'll be better than 2-10, but our defense needs to be A LOT better if we want to sniff 6-6 or anything like that...

JCloned2

Dec 29, 2008
My "big things" for 2009....beating the teams that we have clearly better talent than, and not on last second field goals. Playing well, even if we get beat, (in some cases soundly) by the elite. Getting better as the year goes on.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
absolutely not I just hope we beat NDSU, Army and win a conference game, but some people think we will win the north. Pretty reasonable considering how good our defense was last year

Reactions: im4iast8

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I would like to see our coaches make adjustments and play to the strengths of our team. This is something I don't remember seeing much from Chiz or Mac's coaches.
On offense, I am excited to see what Herman will do with our athletes. From what I have seen of him with Rice, he tried to utilize every skill that his athletes had. For example, having receivers passing and running with the ball, and having a tight end run if the running back talent is not as desired. He is also smart enough not to do the exact same things at ISU that he did at Rice. It helps when you HC and OC are both very smart people. (Mac, not so much:no:)

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
I went back to look at the first year record of our last 8 head coaches. Only twice did the new coach win more games in his first year than the old coach won in his last. Mac was +3 (went from 0 wins to 3) and Majors was +1 (went from 2 wins to 3). Criner and Stapleton were even, Chizik and Bruce were -1, Walden was -3 and Duncan was -5 (went from 8 wins to 3).

khess83

Jan 7, 2009
Beaverdale-Des Moines, IA
The success of next year's team will depend greatly on which players we put out on the field on both offense and defense. Right when Chizik left, there was a lot of grumbling about transferring being done by a few of the true freshmen, but I have not heard anything further. If we start all over with true and redshirt freshmen it will be hard to play to player's strengths when the players have little college football experience.

Last edited:

sclotz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
This year's bowl season really showed how to slow down the so called "high powered" Big 12 south offenses...it can be done. Also, Missouri and KU were slowed down (Big 12 North carried the conference this year!). There is something to be said for not being overconfident in games (it's a nice problem to have) but the quick explosive offenses can be slowed down...I think we'll pull out a .500 season next year.
I am interested in seeing how it all plays out next Fall.

j4state

May 21, 2006
Visit site
One big thing I want to expect is to win a roady against a cupcake in Kent State. That is a fairly easy accomplishment (for other BCS teams at least) that would lift a large black cloud off the program right away. I don't care if it's ugly, it probably will be, but get the damn win and get rid of that monkey.

Other than that, dominate NDSU and Army and pick up a conference win (2 would be nicer) and there won't be many complaints here.

The biggest thing is staying competitive and improving throughout the season. Our schedule is the softest we will see in many years so getting blown out by anyone but KU, NU and OSU will not be a good sign.

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
My hopes for 09 are to win 4 games. If we take care of 3 non conf. games, then the 4th in conf., I will be happy. If we win 5 or 6, I think we are turning the corner toward competing with the North division in conference, at least. Perhaps by 12 looking at big year?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron