Do you expect big things from 09 football team this year?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
i remember last time we brought in a new coach, coaches and i got all excited and automatically assumed we'd be going bowling but i think itll be a year or so before we can sniff at 6-7 wins, i hope im wrong theres no reason they cant win that many its not a hard schedule, they could be 4-0 heading into conference if they pull a upset against iowa in ames...but i dont think so i think 2-2 or 3-1 going into conference is more reasonable but i also dont expect a bowl i expect to be competive and show promise for the future

Not trying to make excuses for Chizik, but in his first year we had to play Texas, OU, and Tech, and Mizzou and KU were 10 game winners too. The best teams ever at ISU probably go 0-5 against that schedule. Anyone who said 6 or 7 wins was basing that purely on the name of the coach and sheer excitement over what the program might become.

This year we get the "easier" South schedule (only OSU looks unwinnable), and Mizzou and Neb look to possibly drop off from what they were last year. Assuming ISU can improve defensively and get in synch with a new offense, I don't think it's completely unreasonable to say this team could win 6 games.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I have to imagine learning a completely new system (offense & defense) will set us back a bit next season. Hopefully, we'll see improvement, but we may still get to only 3-4 wins...

Sounds about right. I say 3-4 wins next season due to lack of talent. I think our new coaches are better than our old coaches so I would add a win there. However it always takes 2 seasons to ajust to new coaching. Hopefully we win 3-4 this year, then 4-5 next year. Then 6-7 the year after that. So on and so on.

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I am going to give Coach Rhoads the pass I gave the last guy. I would like to see improvement, if that turns into wins immediately, awesome, if not..at least we are getting better and visibly working towards something.

I think I will look at the season with no expectations. I am excited about the coaching changes and eager for August. I am optimistic.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I also tend to believe that Tuberville was on the way out early in the season because of some discussions with Gene and Jay Jordan to see if Gene was available. The Okie state coach comments just let the cat out of the bag. Gene knew his staff was probably not up to the task of recruiting enough players probably by end of 2007 to move very much up in the Big 12 recruiting wars. Gene seemed more disengaged the second year than the first.

How can you go from three wins against decent teams to only two wins against nobodys and say you are involved and doing your job?

His coaching approach was not going to take us to the next tier. It was descending to the abyss. The nebraska game and the way it played out was very strange. We had everything to win being at home and we played like we were noy even in their league. Something was missing.

Gene never mentally moved his mind to Ames. He was already thinking about his next gig. He chose us as an stepping stone and one that he was watching his lifeclock to ensure he did not stay too long.

How does an Auburn AD hire a 5-19 coach unless something was preplanned? The old Geno coaches were thrown under the bus also when he exited. Thought he would take more of them.

This year also makes you wonder if Geno was recruting players for Auburn the second half of the season. Does anyone smell a rotten fish? Gene ended up being the transition coach between Dan and PR.

Bottom line, he did us a favor. He found a new job and we now have an engaged coach who is trying to do what should have been done two years ago.

Shep is an interesting case. If he told the players the truth, I can see where some loved him and others rebelled. Makes you think that we need two new strength coaches - one of tough demeanor and one that can handle the other type of players.

This conspiracy theory is just wrong. a lot of things don't make sense.

1) Gene demotes his best buddies two weeks before he goes and does not take them with him. Why would he do that? If he knew he was going, he could have left them as coordinators so they would have a better chance at getting a job.
2) Auburn interviewed and courted somethign like 6 coaches before settling for Chizik. Why on earth would Auburn spend the time and money if they already had chizik wrapped up? Especially the embarrasment of racism with Gill. Not logical.
3) Chizik has recruited only one player off our offer list and that is Corey Gaines. If he was recruiting for Auburn over ISU, he would have more.
4) From most accounts, the news came as a surprise to EVERYONE including his staff. He would have given his best buddies a heads up.
5) tubberville wasn't gone until Alabama and according to some sources, it is because a donor was meddling after that game and Tubby could wallk and get paid.
6) Nebraska game made sense. Arnaud was hurt, bates had left, we were trying to save Tiller's redshirt, we had rearranged our OL. So we went very conservative on offense. After that game they really opened it up.

IMO- Tubby heard a donor was tryign to hire Nutt through THEIR agent. He walked because after the last time he had it happen he got a clause added in his contract. Which is why he resigned and got his money. Auburn approached 5 different coaches and all said no because the coaches wanted to control their hires. Chiz got the call to see if he would be interested and he took it. and why wouldn't he? In his opinion, it is easier to win at Auburn, he was failing at ISU and he is not used to failing.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
tazclone I think your post is all WIN.
Chiz was not the first choice but after they missed on the top guys, he was a convenient hire. The boosters like him because he was there before and he will not rock the boat like Tubberville. It is also convenient that if he doesn't do well, they can dump him and go with the big name in a few years.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
absolutely not I just hope we beat NDSU, Army and win a conference game, but some people think we will win the north. Pretty reasonable considering how good our defense was last year
I don't know who said we will win the north, even though the North will be down next year, Mizz and Nebraska lose a lot. My early prediction will be KU that wins it. I think that 4-5 wins is feasible for next year. I also think .500 could be doable, with wins at Kent St, Iowa at home and one other conference win. I think we can pull that off.....
Even with how crappy our D-fense played this year if you look back at the games, we honestly could have had 5 wins (UNLV, KU, and Colorado).

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I don't know who said we will win the north, even though the North will be down next year, Mizz and Nebraska lose a lot. My early prediction will be KU that wins it. I think that 4-5 wins is feasible for next year. I also think .500 could be doable, with wins at Kent St, Iowa at home and one other conference win. I think we can pull that off.....
Even with how crappy our D-fense played this year if you look back at the games, we honestly could have had 5 wins (UNLV, KU, and Colorado).

I would say Iowa was also a very winnable game, although the blame there goes more on the offense or special teams. The defense came up with several turnovers, only allowed one touchdown, and held Shonn Greene to his weakest game (where he was carrying the majority of the time).

mizouse87

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines
I don't for one minute believe anybody has been out of line with their predictions thus far in the thread. Frankly I could see a wide range of outcomes at the end of next year. Is it really that unbelievable that this team wins 8,9,10 games next year? I think there's enough talent, and with the new offense and deffense in place, perhaps it all just fits together. Is it also that unbelievable this team only wins a couple of games and even stays at the same level as this past year?
Realistically speaking, I think ISU wins 6, maybe 7 games next year and is in contention for the North Championship. It won't be easy, but it most certainly is acheivable.

Here's to hoping this coaching staff and team can turn a few doubters into believers next season. Here's to hoping for a brighter day in Cyclone Nation.

sdmredsox

Dec 15, 2008
South Des Moines
What about with timeouts? Is that what you were saying also?? I kno chizik was horrible with timeout managment

Why would we need to worry about timeouts?? Didn't Chizik leave the leftover timeouts we had from the first half of every game this year? God forbid we actually attempt to make a play. We had so much to lose and all.

anticyclonic

Mar 8, 2007
Lake Rathbun
I agree with 33, things should improve. I am a bit disappointed McFarland wasn't retained, too bad he can't be associated with the team somehow (He wasn't a dark alley kind of guy). I am sure the offense will be a bit out of sync at the beginning but will improve. Defense could be better right from the start especially if we get this Taylor Martin and McDonough are at the ends, Rawshawn Parker is just too short and we need people to knock down balls maybe he moves to LB. R-Hamer could be scary good. Weakness will probably be at LB, the defensive backfield could be really good if the coverage is changed, they will be more seasoned.

Do we have a 6-7 320 OT as a commit, and a 6-6 348 G on our list? Wow those are big dudes, hopefully more mobile than the giant Fishers.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Do we have a 6-7 320 OT as a commit, and a 6-6 348 G on our list? Wow those are big dudes, hopefully more mobile than the giant Fishers.
Who are you referring too here. I know that I read not that long ago that Rhoads was watching tape from last year and was super unimpressed with our OL, especially with the Offense he is wanting to put in. Really slow off the snap! I thought this was one of our deepest positions, oh well time will tell. :confused:

pujolsman

Mar 3, 2008
If Rhoades does this the right way it will be year 3 of a new era instead of year one. I say 5-7 wins. Granted that we have some level of consistency.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Had the bowl games been played a week after the end of the regular season, or even a week after the Big 12 championship game, I suspect the Big 12 offenses wouldn't have been slowed down all that much. The opposing defenses got a month to prepare. Also, in the games I saw, the Big 12 QBs looked somewhat rusty, and receivers were dropping balls.

Daniels admitted he had a bad ligament on his thumb.

cyman1189

Aug 11, 2008
Akron, OH
i spose i expect "things"

I just dont know if i can be true to myself if i expect "BIG" things.

I'm too smart of a Cyclone fan to get my hopes to high. Trust me, the hopes are there, i just dont want to be let down... again

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
i spose i expect "things"

I just dont know if i can be true to myself if i expect "BIG" things.

I'm too smart of a Cyclone fan to get my hopes to high. Trust me, the hopes are there, i just dont want to be let down... again

EXPECT BIG THINGS.

hell-yes.gif

istate18

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Why is everyone here so pessimistic? That's the problem with Iowa State is that nobody expects to win! You all seem to accept defeat which is why we don't get better. We should all expect our team to go to a bowl every year. Any decent program does. There is no reason this team can't win their first four games next year and take that momentum into the conference. NDSU should be a blowout, UNI win, Iowa loses all their best players, Kent Stated loses a ton and they weren't good this year with a senior laden team. Kansas loses most of its defense and they proved this year that they were a fluke, Mizzou loses everything, Colorado is average at best, K-State has nothing, Nebraska is decent but has another new quarterback and loses a lot of key position on both sides of the ball, Baylor...eh whatev, aTm will be better but nothing special, Okie State will be good again but never does better than 7-5/8-4. There is no reason we should not make a bowl game. Coaching change or not. We didn't lose anyone special and are gaining a lot with recruits and experience from this past season. Expect more and you will get more. Expect nothing and thats what you get.