Grunge vs. Hair Metal

Given the choice, which do you prefer?

• GRUNGE!

Votes: 122 70.1%
  • Hair Metal!

Votes: 42 24.1%
  • I need another choice

Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Hey, just look at my half-dressed avatar sweetie!

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Crue’s best albums were Too Fast for Love, Shout at the Devil, and Motley Crue. The rest are unlistenable. AIC’s best albums were all of them. Grunge wins.
Dr Feelgood is unlistenable!?!?o_O

com’on!

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Bah. The haters. CC Was probably out of his mind, that hurts your playing some...
PJ was still great on Yield at least. You can hate Crues most played stuff if ya want but...
Oh, and probably my fav AIC is I Stay Away when the vocals and the strings ramp at the end - whoa.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I like that Motley Crue came so hard. PJ are arguably one of the top two or three grunge bands, but Motley Crue isn't likely even in the top ten hair metal bands. (I prefer grunge, but listen to hair metal nostalgically.) They had the most excess, for certain (is anyone watching the Pamela and Tommy Lee thing?), but their music wasn't as good as others.

If I had to pick the best hair metal bands, it would look more like:

Scorpions
Cinderella
Guns n' Roses
RATT

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I like that Motley Crue came so hard. PJ are arguably one of the top two or three grunge bands, but Motley Crue isn't likely even in the top ten hair metal bands. (I prefer grunge, but listen to hair metal nostalgically.) They had the most excess, for certain (is anyone watching the Pamela and Tommy Lee thing?), but their music wasn't as good as others.

Scorpions
Cinderella
Guns n' Roses
RATT

Both The Scorpions and Cinderella's music has really aged well. These are probably bands/musicians that would have found some form of success in any era. Klaus Meine's voice is unbelievable and I hear a bigger variety of Scorpions songs on the radio now than ever. I also think that Tom Kiefer is an incredibly talented musician and a lot of Cinderella's lesser known stuff is really solid with Night Songs and Heartbreak Station being prime examples of this.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Both The Scorpions and Cinderella's music has really aged well. These are probably bands/musicians that would have found some form of success in any era. Klaus Meine's voice is unbelievable and I hear a bigger variety of Scorpions songs on the radio now than ever. I also think that Tom Kiefer is an incredibly talented musician and a lot of Cinderella's lesser known stuff is really solid with Night Songs and Heartbreak Station being prime examples of this.

THIS!!!

Reactions: Macloney

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I've never been a huge Scorpions fan but can appreciate they're talent. Also, got caught stealing their Love at First Sting album from Kmart when I was in high school, so there's that:oops: And totally agree about Tom Kiefer.

Reactions: Macloney and Angie

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Scorpions
Cinderella
Guns n' Roses
RATT

What is the true definition of hair metal vs heavy metal? I mean where would the likes of AC/DC fall in? I grew up in 70's and 80's with the likes of Loverboy, Bryan Adams, Judas Priest, Krokus, AC/DC, Ozzy, Quiet Riot, Whitesnake, Heart, Motley Crew, etc. Then came the likes of Dokken, Cinderella, Slaughter, Firehouse, Winger, Britny Fox, GNR, and other "glam hair bands type"........... Then like overnight Nirva hit and grunge was it.

Sure I like the metal bands of like Rammestein, Accept, Megadeath, Metallica just few as an example. I just want to know where you draw the line on hair vs metal bands.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Oh, just remembered another story: was at a WASP show at Surf Ballroom. the opening band(think it was called Naked Beggars) had a few members of Cinderella including the guitarist Jeff LaBar. I was in the bathroom between bands and LaBar comes in. Out of nowhere he starts singing "I Want to be Somebody" and the whole bathroom started singing too. Probably my greatest moment ever:)

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
What is the true definition of hair metal vs heavy metal? I mean where would the likes of AC/DC fall in? I grew up in 70's and 80's with the likes of Loverboy, Bryan Adams, Judas Priest, Krokus, AC/DC, Ozzy, Quiet Riot, Whitesnake, Heart, Motley Crew, etc. Then came the likes of Dokken, Cinderella, Slaughter, Firehouse, Winger, Britny Fox, GNR, and other "glam hair bands type"........... Then like overnight Nirva hit and grunge was it.

Sure I like the metal bands of like Rammestein, Accept, Megadeath, Metallica just few as an example. I just want to know where you draw the line on hair vs metal bands.
I've always felt like AC/DC has their own place and category.

Reactions: BigCyFan and Angie

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

Scorpions
Cinderella
Guns n' Roses
RATT
I disagree with the MC assessment. They're first albums are still great. Whatever album Smoking in the Boys room was on is the start of the downfall for me.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Oh, just remembered another story: was at a WASP show at Surf Ballroom. the opening band(think it was called Naked Beggars) had a few members of Cinderella including the guitarist Jeff LaBar. I was in the bathroom between bands and LaBar comes in. Out of nowhere he starts singing "I Want to be Somebody" and the whole bathroom started singing too. Probably my greatest moment ever:)

I forgot that he died last year.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
And totally agree about Tom Kiefer.

I was "too young to be at a big concert" years old when Bon Jovi and Cinderella came to Iowa in the late 80s. I went with my biological dad - and Cinderella live just blew Bon Jovi out of the water. Kiefer's voice was just exactly like it was on the albums, while you could tell there was a lot of magic done on Bon Jovi. (At least from that performance. Maybe he had a cold or something.)

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I disagree with the MC assessment. They're first albums are still great. Whatever album Smoking in the Boys room was on is the start of the downfall for me.

I will say - I was barely born for MC's first albums, so my perspective is skewed heavily toward their later offerings.

Reactions: 1100011CS

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I've always felt like AC/DC has their own place and category.

I also, but where is this place? Mt. Olympus? They really are in there own category for just being able to find a voice like Brian Johnson after the death of a great frontman Bon Scott and then continue to bring out great rock songs.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I also, but where is this place? Mt. Olympus? They really are in there own category for just being able to find a voice like Brian Johnson after the death of a great frontman Bon Scott and then continue to bring out great rock songs.
I mean, their one of the GOATs, no doubt. They’ve done things on levels only they can do. Their newer stuff the last few years has the same sound and is really no different than anything they have ever done. And I’m pretty sure no one gives a ****. Honestly them trying to do anything other than what they do would just be really strange and very off brand.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Dr Feelgood is unlistenable!?!?o_O

com’on!

I owned Dr. Feelgood but never really liked that album. I also think rock radio killed what little interest I had in that album because they play the same songs over and over and over again. As my wife said about Nirvana after hearing the same songs over and over again - "I am just done with Nirvana." I am just done with Dr. Feelgood (and Girls, Girls, Girls). Radio is starting to do that with the RHCP too.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I owned Dr. Feelgood but never really liked that album. I also think rock radio killed what little interest I had in that album because they play the same songs over and over and over again. As my wife said about Nirvana after hearing the same songs over and over again - "I am just done with Nirvana." I am just done with Dr. Feelgood (and Girls, Girls, Girls). Radio is starting to do that with the RHCP too.
I think it was a combination of that and bands trying to make radio friendly songs. For example, Def Leppard's first 3 albums were soooo good. Just really amazing. Then came "Pour some sugar on me" and they were ruined for me. (that might actually be on their 5th album but my point still stands)

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
What about KISS? They are my favorite band, seen them 6-7 times live. They definitely had their glam/hair phase but going back to the mid 1970's, some of their stuff still holds up today.

Reactions: cycophagus

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
What about KISS? They are my favorite band, seen them 6-7 times live. They definitely had their glam/hair phase but going back to the mid 1970's, some of their stuff still holds up today.

Their glam stuff kinda took a little of their aura away from them. They went with the power ballad like a lot of bands did back in the 80's. Just not what one is used to hearing from Kiss even though the did have Beth.

Reactions: Macloney

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
I agree radio overplay sucks. Lazer killed PJ and most AIC for me and I haven’t lived in Iowa in 20 years.

Kickstart my heart still makes me wanna hit something.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron