Grunge vs. Hair Metal

Given the choice, which do you prefer?

• GRUNGE!

Votes: 122 70.1%
  • Hair Metal!

Votes: 42 24.1%
  • I need another choice

Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Hey, just look at my half-dressed avatar sweetie!

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
So many acts nowadays rely on a backing track. That's not very "live."

When rock bands have beat machines in their music is annyoing. Way to ruin a hard rock sound by trying to lay down a dance number behind it.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Can't we like both, just different eras. Pearl Jam is certainly better than Montly Crue, but I'd take hair metal any day over grunge. I was a teenager in the 90s, but much preferred the stuff from before my time.

Reactions: Drew0311

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Why are so many people doing Pearl Jam vs Alice in Chains? They're both great. And no, Pearl Jam is not overrated. There is a reason they became so big. They were really ******* good.

Loved Pearl jams first and second albums but thought they went way down hill after that. Alice Never really had a chance to go down hill. I’m talking Lanes version of AIC. Not the newest stuff

Reactions: Gunnerclone

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Crue’s best albums were Too Fast for Love, Shout at the Devil, and Motley Crue. The rest are unlistenable. AIC’s best albums were all of them. Grunge wins.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I am convinced if Courtney Love doesn't blow Kurt Cobain's brains out, Alice in Chains is recognized as THE grunge band. Nirvana is right up there with The Beatles in most overrated band category

I can no longer listen to Nirvana. I have their albums but haven’t played them in years. I got caught up in Nirvana but now realize how overrated they were.

Being the age that lived through it, it still marvels me how the entire rock music industry in '91 shifted emphasis in six months to grunge/alternative and by the start of the second year most of those 80's bands had no airplay at all, despite more than a decade of proven staying power for many of those bands.

I suggest this book. Really great history of hair music and the beginning of Grunge.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I love it all. Both made up my formative years and I can jam to Poison just as well as STP.
Poison is THE most overrated band ever and it's not close. I have no idea how they got so popular. I went to a couple concerts where they were the 'headliner' just to see the openers and left during CC's horrible guitar solo and Bret Michaels cannot sign.

• Disagree
Reactions: michaelrr1

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Loved Pearl jams first and second albums but thought they went way down hill after that. Alice Never really had a chance to go down hill. I’m talking Lanes version of AIC. Not the newest stuff
I never liked AIC until I saw them at Lazerfest. Blew me away and I so wish I would have seen them with Layne.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It'd be nice to hear the next guitar virtuoso. Greta Van Fleet is the only modern group I can think of that is pushing organic, instrumentally challenging performances. The unintended consequence of the popularity of grunge was that suddenly it was ok to be a mediocre guitar player. So many acts nowadays rely on a backing track. That's not very "live."

No one has challenged for a spot on the Mt Rushmore of rock guitarists since Tom Morello.

Just type in “progressive instrumental metal” in to your Apple Music or Spotify.

• Informative
Reactions: CYCLNST8

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Loved Pearl jams first and second albums but thought they went way down hill after that.

Finally found someone else who agrees. I did like Vitalogy, but after that it felt like they lost that edge and their music no longer did anything for me. I'm looked down upon most times when I mention that, by people arguing about their longevity. You can continue to produce material, but that doesn't make you good. I feel like they get a pass just because they continue to spit out albums. It sucks because Ten is such a kick ass album, I can jam to any song on it.

I can no longer listen to Nirvana. I have their albums but haven’t played them in years. I got caught up in Nirvana but now realize how overrated they were.

I have trouble saying they are overrated, because at the time they were pretty damn good, but I will admit that listening to Nevermind today, it feels like much of it didn't age well. In Utero today feels like a better album, even though listening to Rape Me in the car a few weeks ago, got my 15yo to ask me what the hell I was listening to.

AdRock4Cy

Jul 21, 2010
Ankeny
Finally found someone else who agrees. I did like Vitalogy, but after that it felt like they lost that edge and their music no longer did anything for me. I'm looked down upon most times when I mention that, by people arguing about their longevity. You can continue to produce material, but that doesn't make you good. I feel like they get a pass just because they continue to spit out albums. It sucks because Ten is such a kick ass album, I can jam to any song on it.

I have trouble saying they are overrated, because at the time they were pretty damn good, but I will admit that listening to Nevermind today, it feels like much of it didn't age well. In Utero today feels like a better album, even though listening to Rape Me in the car a few weeks ago, got my 15yo to ask me what the hell I was listening to.

i love to crank Lounge Act in the car. I don’t think it gets much more awesome than that.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Who else played that show?

Ok. Let me say the lineup was outstanding for that show. So I still loved it.

Johnny Cash
John Melllencamp
Bryan Adams
Bruce Horsnby
Willie Nelson
Charlie Daniels
Ringo Starr and Many others

SO it was a Good Show. Just orginally supposed to have AIC.

Reactions: BigCyFan

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Love the heavier stuff from Alice in Chains but Jar of Flies might be my favorite release of theirs.

Based on my crappy memory and being too lazy to look it up; my favorite AIC album was the one with a green case and a three legged dog.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Chains was EASILY my favorite of the Seattle 4.

The song "what the hell have I" from the Last Action Hero soundtrack still blows me away. Probably my favorite AIC song. Always wondered if it didn't make the cut for Dirt, or something they wrote afterwards. It basically came out a year after dirt and was certainly in the same vein.

The biggest argument wife and I ever had was whether or not the band should keep the name after Layne's passing. I'm in favor of it because while Layne was super unique, Cantrell already handled a ton of singing. The vocal foundation of sorts is still there.
Big Gun from that soundtrack still does it for me.

Reactions: Omaha Cy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron