WBB: General Thread of Cyclones Women's Hoops 2021-2022 Season

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Looking at Charlie's bracketology it's strange where he has the 2 seeds at. As of this posting he has Arizona in Bridgeport, us in Greensboro, Tennessee in Wichita and Indiana in Spokane. Would make more sense to do Indiana in Bridgeport, Tennessee in Greensboro us in Wichita and Arizona in Spokane.

I just hope we can keep this up and that we can end up in Wichita.

Reactions: acoustimac

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Looking at Charlie's bracketology it's strange where he has the 2 seeds at. As of this posting he has Arizona in Bridgeport, us in Greensboro, Tennessee in Wichita and Indiana in Spokane. Would make more sense to do Indiana in Bridgeport, Tennessee in Greensboro us in Wichita and Arizona in Spokane.

It looks like he's placing the 1s in their closest region, and then sticking hard to an S-curve instead of giving the 2s any geographic consideration. It also has the effect of keeping conference opponents (South Carolina/Tennessee, Stanford/Arizona) as far apart as possible.

#1 South Carolina (1), #2 Iowa State (8)
#1 N.C. State (4), #2 Arizona (5)
--------
#1 Stanford (2), #2 Indiana (7)
#1 Louisville (3), #2 Tennessee (6)

• Informative
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
It looks like he's placing the 1s in their closest region, and then sticking hard to an S-curve instead of giving the 2s any geographic consideration. It also has the effect of keeping conference opponents (South Carolina/Tennessee, Stanford/Arizona) as far apart as possible.

#1 South Carolina (1), #2 Iowa State (8)
#1 N.C. State (4), #2 Arizona (5)
--------
#1 Stanford (2), #2 Indiana (7)
#1 Louisville (3), #2 Tennessee (6)

Thanks for the info. I was just thinking with how the wbb ncaa tournament struggles with attendance getting teams closer to home would be important in seeding.

Reactions: acoustimac

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Thanks for the info. I was just thinking with how the wbb ncaa tournament struggles with attendance getting teams closer to home would be important in seeding.

I don't think they care as much about regional attendance and just assume the #1s will carry the day.

The regionals format starting next year (2 sites of 8 teams) will create a desert in the midwest for the next 4 seasons, anyway. Tough time for a Big 12 or Big Ten team to be really good.
2023: Greenville, S.C.; Seattle
2024: Albany, Portland
2025: Birmingham, Spokane
2026: Fort Worth, Sacramento

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I don't think they care as much about regional attendance and just assume the #1s will carry the day.

The regionals format starting next year (2 sites of 8 teams) will create a desert in the midwest for the next 4 seasons, anyway. Tough time for a Big 12 or Big Ten team to be really good.

Woof Ft. Worth is the only one a little close. So how is this regional format working? the 64 team start on home courts then once your in the 32 it is at these locations?

Edit ft worth isn't even till 2026 1st 3 yrs are set up on the coasts well Birmingham isn't really coastal. This does not seem to be a improvement but what do I know.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Woof Ft. Worth is the only one a little close. So how is this regional format working? the 64 team start on home courts then once your in the 32 it is at these locations?

Instead of 4 regional sites (4x4) for the Sweet 16, it'll be 2 (2x8). Two regions will funnel to each site.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Instead of 4 regional sites (4x4) for the Sweet 16, it'll be 2 (2x8). Two regions will funnel to each site.

That doesn't seem like a good thing for attendance to me. There are only about 30 teams that have decent fanbases anyway, then the percentage of those who are willing to travel it drops fast.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

First time hearing about this 2 site stuff. Those future locations are brutal.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
First time hearing about this 2 site stuff. Those future locations are brutal.

Beginning in 2023, regional play will be held at two sites per year, with eight teams competing at each site.

The women's committee and their love-affair with Spokane/west coast is pathetic, at least pick places that are easy to travel to for the fans. Debbie Antonelli (sp) has advocated for several years to put the Sweet 16 in Las Vegas, but we wouldn't want to do that because it would make sense.

If you are desperate for somewhere "west" go to Denver, Salt Lake City, heck even Phoenix, but Spokane and Portland? In all honesty, those regionals from 2023-2026 will do more to harm the women's game than grow it. You would have thought they would have learned after the debacle last year to do better, yet here we go again.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
If you are desperate for somewhere "west" go to Denver, Salt Lake City, heck even Phoenix, but Spokane and Portland? In all honesty, those regionals from 2023-2026 will do more to harm the women's game than grow it.

They still need cities/schools/conferences to submit hosting bids. Either no midwestern group submitted a bid, or they were outdone by the coastal groups.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron