WBB: General Thread of Cyclones Women's Hoops 2021-2022 Season

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Baylor lost to the Cats in Kansas. They are good this year but not Baylor great. They only have 9 scholarship players and only seven for the KSU game and one fouled out. With Lee in the middle for the Cats this wasn't an ideal matchup for them since she can more than nullify Baylor in the paint if she herself stays out of foul trouble. Of course "down" year for Baylor means no Elite Eight. Difference this year is I think they are down enough for ISU or Texas to win the conference with OU being a dark horse.

Bad for the conference but good for our chances in future years that Texas and OU are leaving. Texas will be playing the kind of defense that is our kryptonite and I think Jennie is going to be Sherri II for the Sooners. Actually feel a little bad for Jennie B (think she's a really good coach) since she signed up to put the Sooners back on top of the Big 12 and she is instead going to be dealing with the juggernaut of SEC teams including a resurgent LSU. Woof!

Reactions: GT25Ump

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
More Monday Musings. Drinking coffee and putting off a six hour drive. :rolleyes:

With conference just starting it's a bit early but the Baylor loss is food for thought on the race since we are used to them only losing one or two games a year all through conference. They will lose more than that this year. I think this might be a pick'em between Baylor/ISU/Texas and dark horse Sooners coming into play. Not totally sold on the Kansas schools (yet) even though Lee is an awesome post player. Might come down to who gets lucky with injuries and being short rostered for some games from impacts of COVID and the flu. It's already factoring in based on Sundays games. I think we probably beat a full roster WVU squad at Hilton but them short rostered made a loss tot hem pretty unlikely.

Hopefully we can stay lucky on the illness/injury front. We've only had Espenmiller-McGraw out with flu for a game so far since she came off the injury list (okay there is no "list"). We might have had Kane miss a game but we had that extended holiday break that allowed her to get over whatever undisclosed illness she had. If we can keep everyone healthy for the conference run we will be looking really good. Not counting on Fritz for anything but depth if she is able to come back and play in conference although another body to throw out there for 10 minutes or so would be great. She's just missed too much time to be top rotation (IMHO) but we will have games at Hilton that will be routs.

Todays RPI's

1641224321747.png

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm no wbb expert but read the story on CF front page...that is an insane point guard stat line for a sophomore in a conference game.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'm no wbb expert but read the story on CF front page...that is an insane point guard stat line for a sophomore in a conference game.

Ryan is turning into a dandy little guard. Lots of fun to watch, tough and tenacious.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
She is showing this year that she is a leader on the court and even on the bench (Bills comment during after game press conf). She has the confidence of the other players and coaches to run the offence and it is fun to watch.

Reactions: NWICY

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I laughed at Coach's comment after the game that Ryan played 40 minutes because if he sat her on the bench she'd take his job! She's coaching in the Huddle too! Ha!

she is one of those gym rats that soaks up everything and isn’t afraid to share it. She will be a coach one of these days!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Big 12 standings. COVID, unfortunately is having some impact already (Baylor/Kansas/WVU). Hoping we continue to have good fortune as we seem to have had so far (based on what little is shared by teams).

1641503972781.png

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Big 12 standings. COVID, unfortunately is having some impact already (Baylor/Kansas/WVU). Hoping we continue to have good fortune as we seem to have had so far (based on what little is shared by teams).

View attachment 94053

I’ve been impressed with how ISU has handled staying healthy the past 1 1/2 years. Whatever they are doing appears to be working and the players seem to be buying into it.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Mulkey’s bunch giving #1 SC a run for their money. Down 3 with 3 minutes left. For how poorly we played there, that loss isn’t looking so bad.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Meanwhile TOE struggling at home with a Northwestern team that hasn’t played since 12/17. Clark 1-8 from 3. Down to 25% for the year. Big yikes.

Last edited:
Reactions: NWICY and Tpups21

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Meanwhile TOE struggling at home with a Northwestern team that hasn’t played since 12/17. Clark 1-8 from 3. Down to 25% for the year. Big yikes.
Watched some of the game. Clark is an amazing player & obviously TOE's greatest asset - but I think she, at times, becomes their biggest liability. When she committed to the Hoks, I was really jealous that we didn't get her. However, seeing what our team has become, I am really glad that our stars play especially well as a team and carry themselves on and off the court in a calm, business-as-usual manner vs the entitled "every call should go my way" attitude. Of course, that attitude comes from the top down. Not gonna lie, it was awesome to see the fighting Bluders go down tonight.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Mulkey’s bunch giving #1 SC a run for their money. Down 3 with 3 minutes left. For how poorly we played there, that loss isn’t looking so bad.

FYI, there's a non-ISU women's hoops thread...

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006

Oops - I'm guilty as well. Opened up this thread and just started responding about other college women's games. Appreciate the link!

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA

dang that’s definitely where I meant to post!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

She was a lot better last yr when they had Gustafson on the inside, that was a good inside outside combo. Their bigs this yr really aren't a Gustafson.

On the opposite note I'm really surprised/glad /proud of how our bigs have stepped up. Kane is having a good yr, that most didn't expect. Jordao better than expected also IMO.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
She was a lot better last yr when they had Gustafson on the inside, that was a good inside outside combo. Their bigs this yr really aren't a Gustafson.

On the opposite note I'm really surprised/glad /proud of how our bigs have stepped up. Kane is having a good yr, that most didn't expect. Jordao better than expected also IMO.

I see what you did there…slid an on topic comment in to cover up that off topic one!