WBB: General Thread of Cyclones Women's Hoops 2021-2022 Season

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
They still need cities/schools/conferences to submit hosting bids. Either no midwestern group submitted a bid, or they were outdone by the coastal groups.
Yet we will never know because the NCAA never announces what cities bid and were not selected. I have a hard time believing DSM did not bid after how successful other NCAA events have been here.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Yet we will never know because the NCAA never announces what cities bid and were not selected. I have a hard time believing DSM did not bid after how successful other NCAA events have been here.

Municipal auditorium in KC would be about the right size for these regionals You don't need anything with more than 10,000 seats.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Looking at Charlie's bracketology it's strange where he has the 2 seeds at. As of this posting he has Arizona in Bridgeport, us in Greensboro, Tennessee in Wichita and Indiana in Spokane. Would make more sense to do Indiana in Bridgeport, Tennessee in Greensboro us in Wichita and Arizona in Spokane.

I just hope we can keep this up and that we can end up in Wichita.

Look at Chuck's ******** brackets for fun and maybe some guess work on seeding but who plays who and where is a crap shoot right now and even his last edition before section time is not that great other than who is top 16 and hosting and any one of us can do that.

Barring injury we should be hosting and beyond that we just need to take care of business better than we have our last couple of shots at it. And, still a little salty about losing in Hilton in 2019.

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
one of the hopeful thoughts tucked in the back of my Cyclone brain this year has been that this might be the year Coach Fen finally gets Big 12 COY. Was reflecting a bit this morning and it hit me that sadly the team could win the conference and if OU finishes one game back Jenny will likely get COY. Might just be me seeing the bias that has existed over the years, but would enjoy your perspective on this.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
one of the hopeful thoughts tucked in the back of my Cyclone brain this year has been that this might be the year Coach Fen finally gets Big 12 COY. Was reflecting a bit this morning and it hit me that sadly the team could win the conference and if OU finishes one game back Jenny will likely get COY. Might just be me seeing the bias that has existed over the years, but would enjoy your perspective on this.
More than one year in the past he was COY but didn't have the right plumbing.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

There's been a couple of times (at least) he's deserved it but it doesn't seem meant to be. If he sweeps OU he should get it instead of Jenny just my opinion.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Lot of season to be played yet but if Coach Baranczyk takes a 12-12 team last year to within a game of the Big 12 title in her first year she will have maybe earned COY and wouldn't object to the coaches voting it for her. They haven't had a winning record since 2017-18, also last trip to NCAA but only with a 16-15 record. That team was better than their overall, they played a stupid tough NC IIRC but the last three teams have gone 32-52. Not sure where the current "bias" would come from. Jim Littell won it last year and we have more men coaches than women's coaches in the Big 12. Of course, a family member trying to start a feud with another coach by calling out his wife on Twitter last year isn't actually a way to endear yourself to the other voting coaches. If there is any bias it might be against Baranczyk because her school is bailing on us like Texas. Reminds to be seen if Sooners can shoot their way to even a 2nd place finish but Texas and Baylor already are sitting with some bad loses.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Latest news from yesterday's presser. Ashley is back. Aubrey hasn’t been cleared. Fritz likely done for the season.
I figured Fritz would be done...assuming a medical red shirt? Will be nice to get Aubrey back as I have a feeling the 3 point shot is going to be critical against the Bears...

ISU40

Jan 8, 2012
Ames
Just saw a photo on instagram of Coach Schaben and Aubrey Joens. So she at least made the trip to Baylor.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I figured Fritz would be done...assuming a medical red shirt? Will be nice to get Aubrey back as I have a feeling the 3 point shot is going to be critical against the Bears...

At this point in the season unless she wants to be done with her in college time at just 4 years I would hope she red shirts so we can watch her use her skills for four seasons.

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
2 big conf games today ou at ksu, isu at baylor. Things could end up anywhere from us alone at the top isu win ou loss, ou alone at the top ou win isu loss, 2 way tie isu and ou if both win or 3 way tie for first isu, ou, ksu - ksu win, baylor win

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
2 big conf games today ou at ksu, isu at baylor. Things could end up anywhere from us alone at the top isu win ou loss, ou alone at the top ou win isu loss, 2 way tie isu and ou if both win or 3 way tie for first isu, ou, ksu - ksu win, baylor win

That 3 way tie is looking pretty likely right now.

Cysister

Mar 18, 2008
Dubuque, IA
We still control our destiny. There are 5 teams with 2 loses, ISU, OU, KSU, TU, BU. We play each of those team with 3 @ home (2-2). OU, KSU, and BU has 5 games within this group. TU still has 7 games left as they have only played us.

We have to correct our mistakes from this week and play better But I like our chance.

Reactions: NWICY and ISU40

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
What's Fritz's injury? Anyone know? Hoping it isn't a stress fracture like MEM. Those are so tricky.