WBB: General Thread of Cyclones Women's Hoops 2021-2022 Season

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Heads up Cyclone fans,

The Red Bull USA Basketball 3X3 Nationals is currently being held at the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, MA.

Our Lexi Donarski has the honor to participate in this historical event and she is current on Team Legacy.

There are 8 women's teams in the tournament. Team Legacy is in Pool A.

Preliminary Round (Saturday, June 12)

Update at 7:15pm
, Team Legacy blew out all three opponents in the pool play and will be facing Maryland in the quarter-final at 8:15am tomorrow (Sunday morning).

MatchResultLexi's Score
Legacy vs NC State​
21 - 9​
5​
Legacy vs K-State​
22 - 12​
7​
Legacy vs Midwest Money Makers​
21 - 5​
6​

Elimination Rounds (Sunday, June 13)

Update at 8:40am, Team Legacy
got very cold and was upset by Maryland. Lexi scored 2 pts in the quarter-final.

Update at 9:55am, all the teams in Team Legacy's group (Pool A) have been eliminated by the teams in Pool B.

MatchResult
Quarter-Final: Legacy (A1) vs Maryland (B4)
9 - 10​

Complete Tournament Schedule and Results

You can watch all the games live on Twitch.

Link: www.twitch.tv/nba

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tornado man

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
With Nyamer Diew's arrival, now all the new faces are on campus. Let's get to work.

Also, a closer look at a freshman's move-in through the eyes of Denae Fritz's mom. Denae's gonna be popular 'cause everybody loves a teammate who has a car. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cy4Lifer and Rural

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
With Nyamer Diew's arrival, now all the new faces are on campus. Let's get to work.

Also, a closer look at a freshman's move-in through the eyes of Denae Fritz's mom. Denae's gonna be popular 'cause everybody loves a teammate who has a car. ;)

Not sure she has enough shoes. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
:rolleyes: at #1.

Ideally maybe, but that ain't happening with young active peeps in real life. Or anyone for that matter. And throw in conditioning workouts, practice, class and studies? And scratch any social life outside of basketball. Guessing it's more of a "don't try to just go on 5 or 6 hours a night".

Makes me sympathize some with West Virginia and road trips. Every roadie is a sleep disrupting time zone shift and hotel stay.

Screenshot 2021-06-13 110953.jpg

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
The preparation for the 2021-2022 season has officially kicked off. Look forward to more updates later.

Last edited:
Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I like where double-clicks on the image prompts name tags to appear on Instagram. I know most of them but Vick's blonder hair threw me for a sec.

How does that work do you need a instagram account? I just double clicked on the photos and didn't get anything. What was the 2nd game they were playing the game with the ball in the circle?

Edit: went back and it worked for me. Kind of useful for learning the new faces.

• Friendly
Reactions: StClone

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
From some of the images, it appears Lexi is subtly beefing up getting beyond that skinny kid look. Whereas, Fritz and Vick as Frosh look the part of D-1 WBB players. Fritz is adorned with bold body art which to me is kind of incomprehensible as to the subject they illustrate. Notice, all are in stockings in the group shot, curious what they were up to prior to the shoot.

Last edited:

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
How does that work do you need a instagram account? I just double clicked on the photos and didn't get anything. What was the 2nd game they were playing the game with the ball in the circle?

Edit: went back and it worked for me. Kind of useful for learning the new faces.

The game is called Spikeball.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Here's an Instagram post from a few weeks ago that briefly scared me until I actually read the caption and realized it was just an internship, not a transfer:

Sounds like are really good internship. Pretty cool.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
I'd like to follow up StClone's comment about Lexi. She has had a busy summer so far and is progressing well, thanks to the participation of two USA Basketball events, U19 World Cup trial camp in May and USA 3x3 Nationals the past weekend. On Sunday she was in Springfield, MA, on Monday she's back in Ames. I watched all her games and other teams in the 3x3 tournament and I'm really impressed by her and her team's performance. If her team didn't go extremely cold and get upset in the quarter-final (I blame the super early morning start), they could've won the championship. She has showed her complete package in playmaking, ball-handling, passing, 3PT shooting, attacking the basket (especially from the right side which she didn't finish as well as from the left side in her freshman year), FT shooting (didn't miss), etc. I'm particularly impressed by her defense. In 3x3 games, the shot clock is only 12 seconds and the transition between offense and defense is very fast. It requires quick reactions, precise executions and high IQ decision making. If you haven't watched Lexi's performance in the past weekend, I highly recommend you make up for it. It will only take about 40 minutes of your time. I post the links to all the three group-matches below. In the videos, the camera was placed very close to the court so watching the games is like watching from the sideline. You can get a whole new experience watching Lexi's actions than in the regular 5x5 games. For detailed information about the tournament, you may find it in my previous #3 post in this thread.

Game 1 vs NC State
www.twitch.tv/videos/1053915377?t=02h35m00s

Game 2 vs K-State (featuring Ayoka Lee)
www.twitch.tv/videos/1053915377?t=09h16m40s

Game 3 vs Midwest Money Makers (featuring Kathleen Doyle)
www.twitch.tv/videos/1053915377?t=10h56m00s

Here are more comments about the tournament from a basketball expert which I find useful.

Last edited:

CloneSt8

Aug 1, 2011
Couple observations about Lexi's game: watch her defense compared to the other women. She almost always has her arms and hands up and spread wide. Other women seem to let their arms hang unless a shot is going up. I saw this watching the videos of her HS games, so good fundamentals from the start.

Lexi also seemed to share the ball more. It did not stick to her as much as it seemed to with others when she did receive a rare pass.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Cyclones.tv just released the 3rd video of WBB Game Center, in which Coach Fen and our Big Three react and comment about the historical win at Baylor last season. I hope you guys enjoy it.

BTW, here are the previous two WBB Game Center videos.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
The daily grind continues. I'm glad they have put that heartbroken TAMU loss on the back of their training jerseys as a motivation.

Observation from the last team photo: Beatriz Jordao is the tallest on the team and her height might be in the 6'4-6'5 range, while Maggie Vick is probably around 6'2. Nyamer Diew is very skinny.

E4K6yQHWYAQkDXo

Last edited: