Could Otz be the end of Hoiberg's coaching career?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
This is probably not a popular opinion but when I look back on the talent that Hoiberg and Prohm had, they completely underachieved. I know people love Fred for elevating the program but some of those teams had 5 NBA guys on it and couldn’t get past the Sweet 16.
He broke Niang's foot? Thought I would have read about that.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
By this I mean, I have to think that after this season is over, influential people at Nebraska are going to ask what took Hoiberg so long at Nebraska when Otzelberger could turn Iowa State around in less than one season.
Fred made a poor coaching career decision by going to the cluster that was the Chicago Bulls organization. He is still paying the price for that. He made a lot of money though.

I pay almost no attention to Nebraska basketball, but I assume Fred is struggling to re-invent himself.
With any Coach its all about the...$$.$$....

Reactions: GoldCy

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I’d say you can build your roster a variety of ways and it can still work. I think the real “blueprint” that TJ follows that is hard to do is to draw a line in the sand and demand that every practice be high intensity through the grind of the season. Now, I think TJ clearly set out to build a roster that are inclined to bring it, But still, if push comes to shove it might mean, for example, playing Beverly over Lard.

We saw Beard do it yesterday. He subbed in players he said would play to the level of expectations. That's pretty damning for the starters.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
One other thing is we keep running with the cupboard was bare story. He had Christopherson (one of our best shooters) Garrett (made the NBA for a bit), and Ejim (one of our best all around players we have had) off the top of my head.

Fred did not have the mess TJ had.

Melvin Ejim is should have his number in the rafters at Hilton, BUT you can’t include true freshman Melvin “Stone Hands” Ejim on a list of difference-makers.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
This is probably not a popular opinion but when I look back on the talent that Hoiberg and Prohm had, they completely underachieved. I know people love Fred for elevating the program but some of those teams had 5 NBA guys on it and couldn’t get past the Sweet 16.
The 2014-2015 team actually had 6 guys on it that would eventually spend some time in the NBA. Of course, that is the year we lost to UAB.

Monte, Georges, Thomas, Nader, BDJ, and Naz. Technically 7 if you count Burton although he was ineligible as he joined

this team also included Houge and McKay.

So yes, absolutely loaded.

Should TJ ever collect that much talent in his roster- based on what he’s done this year with far less - you would be talking about a legitimate national title contender.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
The 2014-15 team that lost to UAB had SIX NBA players on it: Niang, Morris, Naz, Dejean-Jones, Nader, and Thomas. Not to mention two more guys who are still playing professionally 7 years later internationally (Hogue and McKay). That team had the talent to win the whole damn thing

That loss was so bad. Nothing like losing the 11am game of the tournament on a Thursday to ruin everything. Thankfully we haven't seen the blonde highlights return.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Two things can be true:

- Fred resurrected Cyclone basketball and Hilton Magic and gave us some incredible memories.
- In the end, given the talent he recruited, Fred underachieved at ISU.

I’m grateful to him for what he did for our program and don’t like to see him struggling so much, but the adage about the grass not always being greener seems to apply here. When he’s fired from Nebraska it will be interesting to see where he goes. Fred’s a guy who obviously believes in himself and isn’t afraid to take risks. His dream of coaching an NBA franchise might not be something most Cyclone fans understand, but he was willing to leave a good situation to try it because he thought he could be successful. Sometimes, those risks don’t pay off as far as achieving success and that’s what we’re seeing with Fred.
Fred reminds me of Icarus. His father Daedalus (Coach Orr) gave him all he needed, even wings to fly (Hilton Magic and history). Fred couldn't help but fly closer to the sun.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
He broke Niang's foot? Thought I would have read about that.
Guess I just never bought the idea that ISU would’ve won that game with Niang. The result of the Niang injury was an expanded offensive role for Hogue and he played completely out of his mind and had arguably the best game a Cyclone has ever had in the tourney. And UConn answered every run to keep ISU at arms length all game long.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
It’s looking like Fred is a case of the right coach at the right time. He exploited an under used way of roster building and continued to supplement his rosters that way. Prior to Fred doing this the transfer portal was not heavily utilized. He set a trend but once everyone caught up he hasn’t been able to replicate his success. I think he would’ve had continued success at ISU because he was already established but he needed to find a new gimmick for Nebraska instead of going back to the well.

• Agree
Reactions: legi and Cyclad

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Guess I just never bought the idea that ISU would’ve won that game with Niang. The result of the Niang injury was an expanded offensive role for Hogue and he played completely out of his mind and had arguably the best game a Cyclone has ever had in the tourney. And UConn answered every run to keep ISU at arms length all game long.

We could've beaten UConn with Niang, but they played a great game so it's hard to take much from them.

I don't buy the narrative that we would've made the Final Four or won it all. Too many what-ifs, and we would've played a tough Michigan State team (Adreian Payne, Denzel Valentine and co.) that would've been far from a sure win.

Fun to think about, and I don't fault fans for being fans and running with it. But it wasn't a sure thing.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Agree with nearly everything in this thread but - back to original question - I really doubt Nebraska’s leadership is considering TJ’s success at Iowa State this year in their decisions around Fred. They are way more related for us as fans than they are if you’re Nebraska’s AD or President.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
That was easily the worst part of it. When you can't enjoy the rest of the first round, that's never good.

That's why I prefer ISU playing in the last slot on Friday (day 2). If you DO happen to lose in R1, at least there's two full days of viewing without it bumming you out from the get-go (as well as heightening anticipation of opening game).

Reactions: CRcyclone6

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The excuse of Nebraska being a historically bad program needs to stop. Bad programs continue to be bad in basketball because 1. Facilities suck, 2. Terrible attendance, 3. The school won’t spend money to hire a good coach. These things aren’t issues.

Sure, it’s harder to recruit at a bad program, but his recruiting class was pretty good, and there are so many transfers available that would be glad to play in the Big 10 that there’s really no excuse to be THIS terrible. They are SO f’ing bad.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron