Could Otz be the end of Hoiberg's coaching career?

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Hoiberg is doing a phenomenal coaching job at Nebraska. That program is so bad they should never expect anything more than sometimes beating iowa. They need to sign him to a lifetime contract so he can continue making cyclone nation proud by rising Nebraska to its max ceiling: sometimes beating Iowa.

If Fred can do that this year it would be amazing. What a gift to us all a Nebrasketball win over Iowa would be

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
He was on McDermott's staff as well, so you have to count those seasons too if you want to make that comparison
Mcdoormat had tighter reigns on the program than Fred or Prohm ever did. TJ brought in a lot of good talent during that period too.

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
"Instead the Huskers stood at 6-10 entering Tuesday. They hadn’t won a Big Ten game or beaten a power-conference opponent. Last month NU suffered 30-point losses in consecutive games for the first time in school history."

This article should be required reading to truly appreciate the absurdity of what is going on over at UNL. $3.5mil annual salary - and an *extension* - for those results?!? Not to mention the buyout?

Man, that athletics dept. just loves to carry an obscene liability on their books by paying former coaches. Just unreal - you can't make this stuff up.

Reactions: Iajeff6785

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Sounds like we are becoming fans that like to eat our own. Total BS about FH. He has class and smarts and given time he will get it done. I wanted TJ to replace FH but this year could be one that is not repeated easily. I love TJ but to compare the two with TJOs half a season is pretty silly
Yeah Fred may have class and smarts - but he sure doesn't demand effort. Either too scared to, or doesn't think it's necessary.
The Rutgers game (28 pt, Neb loss) was startling - one team going all out, especially in defense and rebounding, and the other apparently deciding it's not worth it...

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
"Instead the Huskers stood at 6-10 entering Tuesday. They hadn’t won a Big Ten game or beaten a power-conference opponent. Last month NU suffered 30-point losses in consecutive games for the first time in school history."

This article should be required reading to truly appreciate the absurdity of what is going on over at UNL. $3.5mil annual salary - and an *extension* - for those results?!? Not to mention the buyout?

Man, that athletics dept. just loves to carry an obscene liability on their books by paying former coaches. Just unreal - you can't make this stuff up.

Might actually help them attract talented coaches in the future. Who wouldn’t want that kind of golden parachute?

• Funny
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
No doubt Otz was a good assistant, but I think fans tend to overblow the “star assistant” factor.

Sure, there’s stories like Lickliter/Stevens, Monson/Few, and so on. But at the same time not many coaches will succeed if they don’t hire good assistants.
Agree, plus Lickliter is a bad comparison anyway. Butler had success before Lick and after Stevens. Before the big East move, it was a place that had two decades of near consistent success since Barry Collier built it.

Oh, and Barry left for Nebraska two years before Lick took over Butler, and was eventually fired without a winning season. Nebraska isn’t for everyone, whereas Iowa St MBB had a lot to do with Hoiberg’s success, as expected given he was the Mayor

Reactions: isutrevman

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
This is probably not a popular opinion but when I look back on the talent that Hoiberg and Prohm had, they completely underachieved. I know people love Fred for elevating the program but some of those teams had 5 NBA guys on it and couldn’t get past the Sweet 16.

Let's be fair - that year Niang went down with the Jones' fracture, we probably would have gone on a long run if that didn't happen. Otherwise, yeah, we kind of underachieved.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Who was the forward that ISU has that was lefty? Huge guy, but played guard. Was roasting Purdue getting to the hoop in the tourney, then in crunch time decided to pull up and take a step back clank. o_O
Just another reminded of how cut throat the damn NCAA tourney is.

Is he still in the NBA?

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Who was the forward that ISU has that was lefty? Huge guy, but played guard. Was roasting Purdue getting to the hoop in the tourney, then in crunch time decided to pull up and take a step back clank. o_O
Just another reminded of how cut throat the damn NCAA tourney is.

Is he still in the NBA?
Burton

Reactions: NWICY and Omaha Cy

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Agree, plus the Lickliter is a bad comparison anyway. Butler had success before Lick and after Stevens. Before the big East move, it was a place that had two decades of near consistent success since Barry Collier built it.
Whoa - nothing like under Brad Stevens. And their program now is down with LaVall Jordan. Got beat by 40 today by Nova.

Last edited:

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
By this I mean, I have to think that after this season is over, influential people at Nebraska are going to ask what took Hoiberg so long at Nebraska when Otzelberger could turn Iowa State around in less than one season.

Knowing Nebraska's talk radio scene, (I'm looking at you Doug and Daddy) I wouldn't be surprised if that was a talking point.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Nebraska should have never fired miles

That's the part that kills me. Nebraska wasn't that bad under Miles. I'm pretty sure they made the tournament under him.

I watched a pretty big chunk of the Nebraska-Purdue game on Friday night and it wasn't even close. It's against the rules around here, but frankly last year's Iowa State team had better effort than the Nebraska team did.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Pretty sure the Ohio State game was the last, or close to last, slot on Friday night. Perfection.

Even that Nevada game in 2017 was a late night slot on Thursday. I much prefer those over daytime slots.
Hampton @ Boise in 2001 was the last game on *Thursday* Night.
That was AWFUL!
*Edited*

Last edited:

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
The common denominator between the success of the two is.... TJ.

For whatever reason, Fred isn't getting the most out of his players. A coach might have a great basketball mind. A lot of coaches in the industry have high praise for Prohm's, including Beard. But having a high BB IQ doesn't mean squat if the players won't put out maximum effort for them. ISU went 2-22 last year because they'd already given up on Prohm. There was more than enough talent on that team to win far more games than it did.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Thursday.

I had class the next day.

It had snowed the night before and it was cold, windy, and gray to fit perfectly.
*Edited*
Two Out of Three Ain't Bad!
At least it was the last game of the night and @ Boise!
:)

Last edited:
Reactions: madguy30

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Nebraska has been bad historically but has been .500ish most seasons and rarely had single win seasons.

They're easily looking at their 3rd in a row.

Last year was shortened but they still played 27 games.