Big 12 Send Cease and Desist to ESPN

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Surprised this hasn’t been scrubbed yet with the cease and desist out, I wouldn’t be tagging CycloneFB right now.

I know I'll embarass myself the way it is, so please try to be nice and not bash me too much......but could someone clarify Davis's tweet as to what he's getting at exactly? I'm not following the message. Of course I know its about what's presently going on with the big 12. But whether it's sarcasm, taking a 'shot', or whatever, I'm not following what he's getting at.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Well now we know what was really discussed in the initial big 12 emergency meeting...
The language seems fairly straightforward. All discussion of this between relevant parties prior to 2025 is in violation of the conference agreement(s), as long as proof of this is not a bluff. Tie them up in the courts. This MIGHT give the big 12 enough leverage to carry on as is on life support longer than the 1-2 year max CW estimated. You'd think the little 8 might have postioned themselves for a generational payday to make it end sooner. the only downside is Texas had to see this coming, but I wonder if ESPN did? (this is Di$ney ans Texa$ after all)
Sadly, the world's belief system is a byproduct of those in control of propaganda. We'll have to fight that war on top of GOR and litigation.

Last edited:

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
is CBS just going to sit back and not do anything about the fact that ESPN out bid them for the SEC simply because ESPN had inside knowledge Texas and OU would be moving, a move of course orchestrated by ESPN? I would think CBS would be pissed.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
is CBS just going to sit back and not do anything about the fact that ESPN out bid them for the SEC simply because ESPN had inside knowledge Texas and OU would be moving, a move of course orchestrated by ESPN? I would think CBS would be pissed.
They HAVE to be pissed. That is why I believe this goes far beyond our conference.

rsoren001

Dec 27, 2018
The only outcome this letter benefits is keeping the 8 remaining teams together. Who will want to have conversations to add ISU or anyone else? This seems to be about ESPN and the AAC but I’d imagine it also applies to the BIG and PAC. Am I wrong?

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
Sadly, the world's belief system is a byproduct of those in control of propaganda. We'll have to fight that ware on top of GOR and litigation. I just want to slap people around that say Texas carried the rest of the conference. Oh, BTW Oklahoma, Texas believes they carried you too.

If you really think this - then you should also believe that the B12 would survive without them as a P5. That won’t happen. They carried the conference - it sucks to admit… but it’s TRUE.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
I know I'll embarass myself the way it is, so please try to be nice and not bash me too much......but could someone clarify Davis's tweet as to what he's getting at exactly? I'm not following the message. Of course I know its about what's presently going on with the big 12. But whether it's sarcasm, taking a 'shot', or whatever, I'm not following what he's getting at.

Im sure he is just trying to have “fun”, being a general college football fan and media personality …slightly at our expense, and slightly to say we should be highly motivated to beat OU/TX this season. I wouldn’t take much offense over it.

I’m just a bit surprised (although I haven’t come in front of too many C&D letters) that he didn’t lock it down.

Fishhead

Oct 6, 2010

I don’t read any more into that besides what will the Cyclone fans at the championship game, if they make it and win, do. Yell SEC or just tip a celebration beer back and keep quiet?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

That's an interesting point. They have to know they were getting an absolute steal on the marquee SEC game every week, right?

The question is, would they have ponied up the $300M if they knew Texas and OU were coming. I still kind of doubt it due to their NFL, Golf and NCAA Tournament commitments but you never know.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Man, Disney's going to be in real trouble without your $14 this month...

But if 10,000 fans from each of the other 8 Big 12 schools cancel their ESPN+ account for just 2 months that's over $1M lost to ESPN. Seems small, but that will be noticed. Even more if some are Disney subscriptions. And, that does not take into account the revenue from ads and selling of data that they will lose with less subscribers.

Reactions: mynameisjonas

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
But if 10,000 fans from each of the other 8 Big 12 schools cancel their ESPN+ account for just 2 months that's over $1M lost to ESPN. Seems small, but that will be noticed. Even more if some are Disney subscriptions. And, that does not take into account the revenue from ads and selling of data that they will lose with less subscribers.

Make sure you stretch before taking a giant reach like that.

Disney has a hundred times that sitting in the couch cushions.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I think it has been said that Disney was willing to part with ESPN due to their overly expensive TV contracts. With all of this going on now, makes me curious how much more readily they are to wash their hands of them, because Disney is having their name dragged through the mud over this.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
The longer you think about the bigger this 'conspiracy' becomes, I guess thats the case with any conspiracy? ESPN has been orchestrating this for years and got caught. Hopefully the Final 8 can get a huge cash settlement out of this and ride off to their perspective conferences with a couple hundred million dollars each for good measure.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
The longer you think about the bigger this 'conspiracy' becomes, I guess thats the case with any conspiracy? ESPN has been orchestrating this for years and got caught. Hopefully the Final 8 can get a huge cash settlement out of this and ride off to their perspective conferences with a couple hundred million dollars each for good measure.
I hope the evidence against ESPN is overwhelming and the remaining 8 sue for $4B — $500 mil per school. Disney has the pockets to pay and when the outcome could mean that your school is relegated to G5 status permanently that is not too large of a number. The law suit needs to be huge.