Big 12 Send Cease and Desist to ESPN

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Why does Bob Bowlsby's signature have like 6 "t's" in it????

Screenshot 2021-07-28 10.55.02 PM.png

The lawyers were able to pry him away from his Blues Clues marathon just long enough to convince him to put a squiggly line above his name.

• Haha
Reactions: Halincandenza

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
I’m just saying, there’s are ways to stream ESPN without paying for ESPN.
Here is where I struggle with this. We all drop ESPN+, no one watches the UNI game and this just gives ESPN more reason to ignore our trajectory and growing metrics. They run CFB, we have to stay ina deal with the devil. :rolleyes:

Reactions: khardbored

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Just fyi, this letter is a standard 'response' that may or may not accomplish a damn thing. It sounds good to us because it says what we want to, which it, "you screwed us to poop on you!" Unfortunately, a court may also say, "Yes, sort of, but get over it and get to moving along, you've got a year." Anyway, obviously totally guessing here but trying to temper the optimism without killing it. We need a little!
I am not smart enough to know how this will play out. Part of me says - GREAT. Part of me says this almost assures that this is the last season. Although there are couple acceptable scenarios, I fear this is going to turn out badly for us.

CyBlitz

May 9, 2016
I am not smart enough to know how this will play out. Part of me says - GREAT. Part of me says this almost assures that this is the last season. Although there are couple acceptable scenarios, I fear this is going to turn out badly for us.
This very well could be the last one regardless. It’s a gamble but I see very risk of it backfiring on us. The courts very well could make this drag out which is good for us even if outcome is nothing comes of it. Plus it changes the naritive of big 12 imploding to an evil corporation is doing sneaky deals to undermine the big 12 and we are going to expose it.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Here is where I struggle with this. We all drop ESPN+, no one watches the UNI game and this just gives ESPN more reason to ignore our trajectory and growing metrics. They run CFB, we have to stay ina deal with the devil. :rolleyes:

I'll pay the mother ******* for that game.

This is a special season and it could be the last ride.

After that I'm putting a curse on ESPN and everything it stands for.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Maybe I’m wrong but I have a real hard time trusting Bowlsby right now.

Bowlsby is acting in his own self-interest, for sure…but a number of B12 schools aren’t likely to find a P4 landing spot (potentially including us), and I’d venture to say right now it’s at least a majority of the remaining 8. So he’s also acting in the interest of at least most of the B12.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Picking a fight with a national media outlet never works out for the small guy. They control the narrative. Most people are too stupid to do their own research. National media already does this.
Very true, but ESPN isn’t the only large entity involved here. They were doing things that directly undermines other media outlets that are also trying to get ahead in the game.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
ESPN has the ink, but Bowlsby has the receipts and I don't think he's interested in a new job

Keep in mind that Bowlsby is a former P5 AD at multiple institutions, including Stanford. He’s not going to make these allegations without substantial proof and confidence that this strategy will play out favorably.