The Big 12 AD meeting Thursday night

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
People understimate the politics of academic equation in this...The billions that go into research etc and the inner conference partenerships dwarf athletics...

ISU has 2 really good things going for it...AAU status....IVY college of business growth. Ivy college is a Top 50 business school now and ISU has and is pouring a ton of $$ into growing it.

This is only going to help ISU.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
Its simple under the old plan as someone pointed out if I lived in a state within the big 10 footprint I paid more to the BTN, so it cost more in Iowa than Missouri, pretty sure that in streaming its all the same, which would mean most likely there is going to be less revenue there.

Older people are not into streaming, but they do sign up for cable, and cable companies are starting to move BTN and other networks off the basic package and onto the sports packages that costs extra. As I stated before the genius of the old system was everyone paid, that is now not true, and BTN either has to increase costs or receive less money for that content.

But if the national rate was high enough to offset the in state footprint it doesn't matter as much. I don't know how they are calculated it would be interesting to know.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
One mistake people are saying is that ISU needs to bring 55-60 million more to a league. Not necessarily, we are pulling 40 MM now and all P5 deals usually start at reduced rates, so all we need to prove is that we can pay for ourselves now, so 35-40 MM or whatever we would receive.

• Agree
Reactions: DurangoCy

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Could someone provide a brief summary, if possible?
The headline pretty much summarizes it. A Big 12 AD was anonymously quoted as feeling blindsided and is pissed at Texas and disappointed in OU.

A bunch of different scenarios were discussed but this AD was quoted as saying taking AAC schools like Cincy and UCF don't add eyeballs and there is no real reason to add them. Right now the remaining 8 schools met and said they would like to stay together, but are planning for an alternate future.

Also said that the AAC would like to poach the remaining Big 12 schools but it would be more likely that some AAC teams would jump to the Big 12 if it were to stay intact. Also interesting is the Big 12 would maintain it's status as an Autonomy 5 conference even if they lost two members.

• Informative
Reactions: SCNCY

The Far Cyde

Sep 15, 2019
Pac-12 is the best option that is in the realm of possibility. JP will be going all-in on P12, because he knows this. If not, it’s relegation.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010

Nothing would be better for ISU!

BUT, If ISU gets in the B1G is looking to expand big with AAU/academic schools from KU, ISU, Colorado as a bridge to 4-6 more PAC schools. Then down the line make a play for VA & NC. They will also make a play for ND whether VA or NC come or not. We are talking a league of more like 24-32.

I wouldn't put a high probability on it at this point.

• Disagree
Reactions: NateTheBoss

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Here's what I fail to grasp in all of this... if the SEC end game is to break away from the NCAA and be their own "semi-pro" league, how does that not crater the national value/interest in the college football product. College football becomes a glorified NFL feeder league and national interest fades quickly where there is no implication for CFP/National title, no?

Maybe I'm wrong in that, but I'd be curious to see what happens. I love watching monster SEC games today because of what is at stake in terms of making the playoffs, but in a standalone league (if that's their long term angle) I'd have zero interest in any of the games. I would think that'd be the same everywhere outside of the SEC footprint.

What makes college football so great is the natural rivalries, the high stakes of every game, the tribalism of fans, etc. You lose so much of that and destroy the product going this route IMO.
Part of me wonders if the NFL is involved in this. They need a farm system and right now there's is imploding. Unless of course we think that only NFL players will come from the SEC now?

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Pac-12 is the best option that is in the realm of possibility. JP will be going all-in on P12, because he knows this. If not, it’s relegation.
Why in the world would PAC 12 be better than B1G?
Are you assuming no chance for B1G?

Reactions: Gerbs

NateTheBoss

Nov 21, 2013

BUT, If ISU gets in the B1G is looking to expand big with AAU/academic schools from KU, ISU, Colorado as a bridge to 4-6 more PAC schools. Then down the line make a play for VA & NC. They will also make a play for ND whether VA or NC come or not. We are talking a league of more like 24-32.

If the SEC is looking to expand and grab all of the superpowers they can, why wouldn't the B1G try and counter that? That seems like where this whole thing is headed

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
People understimate the politics of academic equation in this...The billions that go into research etc and the inner conference partenerships dwarf athletics...

ISU has 2 really good things going for it...AAU status....IVY college of business growth. Ivy college is a Top 50 business school now and ISU has and is pouring a ton of $$ into growing it.

This is only going to help ISU.
Not a great time for our ranking in academics to be falling

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The ACC TV contract is owned by ESPN, the SEC contract that starts in a couple of years is owned by ESPN. Disney owns ESPN, so why would Disney allow ESPN to hurt the ACC by taking schools from that conference?

Because by folding ACC teams into the SEC and Big10 then Disney gets out of having to fund the ACC Network.

The reality is if there are 2-3 super conferences, then those 30-40 teams drastically increase their media rights payouts.

For Disney & Fox they could potentially lower their over rights fees paid, plus they can potentially increase TV ratings and advertising revenue by mainly having solid games. Do the TV Networks see value in a TCU v K-State or Duke vs Clemson game?

In the end ESPN really needs about 10-12 games each Saturday to televise.

ESPN- 3 games:12p-10:30p EST.
ESPN2- 3 games:12p-10:30p
ESPNU- 3-4 games.
ABC - 1 game: 8p EST

• Informative
Reactions: CascadeClone

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Because by folding ACC teams into the SEC and Big10 then Disney gets out of having to fund the ACC Network.

The reality is if there are 2-3 super conferences, then those 30-40 teams drastically increase their media rights payouts.

For Disney & Fox they could potentially lower their over rights fees paid, plus they can potentially increase TV ratings and advertising revenue by mainly having solid games. Do the TV Networks see value in a TCU v K-State or Duke vs Clemson game?

In the end ESPN really needs about 10-12 games each Saturday to televise.

ESPN- 3 games:12p-10:30p EST.
ESPN2- 3 games:12p-10:30p
ESPNU- 3-4 games.
ABC - 1 game: 8p EST

Your missing the point of a larger league though. What they need more than those games are fans interested to watch the games.

The KSU, TCU, Duke, whatever lower tier school fan will watch the big time games from their division/conference/league because they are part of it and have a vested interest in those outcome.

If you cut out the fan bases of those lower tier schools you lose some of those eyeballs on your marque games.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

TBH, ISU to the Big10 is better than UT and OU staying at this point. Even if there is a change and they stay, the damage has been done and the TV contracts aren't getting any better. Stability and an academic conference would be the best for ISU. But I still believe the chance of that happening is very low.

JVAR

Mar 27, 2006
Eagle Grove, IA
Does anyone have any links to some of the other B12 boards or know what they are saying? Bet Tech, OSU, and TCU fans are really pissed. Always liked Tech and OSU fans on here.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
But if the national rate was high enough to offset the in state footprint it doesn't matter as much. I don't know how they are calculated it would be interesting to know.
Sure what you say is true, but remember under the old system the whole idea was to get into states that did not have a Big 10 team to capture that market and be able to charge them. That is why adding Rutgers and Maryland made financial since. That has now changed, what is important now and going forward is size of the fan base, and butts in the seats, that is a good indicator of how many people will purchase the content that is streamed.
One of the biggest drawbacks of bringing ISU into the Big 10 was just that fact, they was already a team here, so no new viewers would be added, but now that concept is dying and being replaced because of streaming. Last full year of attendence 2019, ISU was 21st nationally, we were behind EIU which was 20th, that would have been good for 8th place in the league. So 6 other teams in the league had less fans at the games then we did. Since we expanded the stadium 5 years ago, our attendence was in the top 30 every year but one.

This idea by EIU fans that ISU brings nothing to the table is a myth, we are an AAU school, we have a fine history in both men's and woman's bb, plus the same in wrestling. We have an up and coming football team coming off the best season in school history finishing in 9th place in final polls. We have spent and continue to spend 10's of millions up rebuild and up date our facilities.

ISU is not the red haired step child that EIU fans continue to press that we are, and if they do not see that, I am sure that the Pac 12 will. Their arrogance will be their undoing, they will make a play for the better Pac 12 schools, which those schools will turn down to try and add the left over Big 12 schools and rebadge the TV network and make another go at it. The SEC will soon be pumping 70 to 80 million into the coffers of each member schools atheletic department and before long, Ohio St, Michigan and Penn. State will be wondering if they should also not get in on the money train and form a new super conference with the SEC, a few ACC teams and a few Pac 12 teams.

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
I think Iowa State needs to try and align with Kansas. Approach the Big Ten and recommend themselves and the other school for consideration. I mean, I guess the Big Ten could try and raid the PAC-12, such as Colorado, but if they're looking at teams in the ACC, they're not getting any of them for a minimum of 15 years, if ever.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
so Rutgers a few years ago was for what?

So Fox and the B1G could force BTN into the regular cable tier for every subscriber in NY and NJ, and rake in $$$.

That's the only reason for Rutgers and Maryland (VA/MD/DC).